Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2012, 03:36 PM

2 posts, read 3,094 times

Advertisements

I just landed a job with the Treasury Dept. and will be moving to DC. I am from Mississippi and have never been to the DC area. I think I found a decent studio apartment for a very reasonable price at the address in the title of the thread. Can anyone provide me any insight on the surrounding areas around the address? Is it a generally safe area or is it an area I should avoid? Thanks in advance.

Robby
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 06:30 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,580,760 times
It's safe by dc standards, which is to say, there is a lot of crime in the area but you are unlikely to become a victim if you use basic street smarts.
That address is right in Adams Morgan, which is one of the most densely populated parts of the city. That part of Columbia road in particular is a very busy commercial area with lots of restaurants. It is a short walk to 18th street which is known as a rowdy nightlife district that is packed with drunks on friday and saturday nights.
You definitely need to visit to see if this place is for you. The neighborhood aside, what if the apartment is not at all as it is advertised?

Old 05-26-2012, 08:10 PM

12 posts, read 19,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
It's safe by dc standards, which is to say, there is a lot of crime in the area but you are unlikely to become a victim if you use basic street smarts.

Maybe if it was 1600 Columbia, you would be right. 1954 is practically in the Dupont/Kalorama area. There is nothing "unsafe" about that area, although building could be dumpy if the rent is that low.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:36 PM

Did I say it was unsafe? Read what I wrote. I expressly said it was safe.
That doesn't change the fact that there is a lot of crime there compared to most parts of the US. Look up any crime statistics.
Of course any densely populated city neighborhood will have more crime than average. That doesnt mean its unsafe and I never suggested otherwise.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:27 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,113,377 times
1900 block is a pretty nice stretch of Columbia Rd. Very nice looking buildings, but I've never been inside one that I recall.

Old 05-27-2012, 05:46 AM

3 posts, read 4,608 times
I live a block from that address towards 18th and Columbia. That building is in a good spot and safe (just use street smarts) and is closer to Connecticut Avenue than 18th Street. Never been on the inside but the outside is nice. Close to amenities (restaurants, dry cleaners, grocery stores, Kalorama Park, Capital Bike Share, and buses).

Old 05-27-2012, 09:48 AM

2 posts, read 3,094 times
thanks for all the replies! I appreciate it

Old 05-27-2012, 09:57 AM

12 posts, read 19,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
Did I say it was unsafe? Read what I wrote. I expressly said it was safe.
That doesn't change the fact that there is a lot of crime there compared to most parts of the US. Look up any crime statistics.
Of course any densely populated city neighborhood will have more crime than average. That doesnt mean its unsafe and I never suggested otherwise.
Well, if you are going to compare it to Ames, Iowa then I suppose there is "lots of crime." There would be lots of crime in Chevy Chase and Georgetown too using that comparison as well. Mississippi has a lot of crime so I don't know why you assume the OP is coming from Mayberry USA.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:03 AM

Um yes there absolutely is more crime in Georgetown than most parts of the country, simply due to the population density. Obviously it is safe. For all we know the OP is coming from a town with even less crime than Ames. So I think it is worth mentioning that there is more crime in DC than most places but as long you use street smarts you will be fine.
This should be a totally noncontroversial point. I guess some people are just looking to start arguments over nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC