Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 11:15 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,558,913 times

Advertisements

Well Ive only driven on that part of Georgia once in the last couple of years, and I do not recall it grabbing me. Brookland's commerce is a bit meh, but it has some variety - both less expensive places, and more yuppies places, I think. Looking at Ga ave in Brightwood on Google Street View (I know, not a substute for walking) it doesn't strike me as more enticing than Brookland.

plus as to transit - looks like about a 45 minute bus ride to the white house from Brightwood. about 34 minutes via metro rail (I chose the WH to avoid favoring Brookland - for where I work, I think Brookland would be even more favorable - that includes walks at each end on top of the red line ride). Plus brookland is right on the MBT, which would be nice, as I have recently gotten into biking and would love to bike commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 11:21 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,240 times
Quote:
plus as to transit - looks like about a 45 minute bus ride to the white house from Brightwood. about 34 minutes via metro rail (I chose the WH to avoid favoring Brookland - for where I work, I think Brookland would be even more favorable - that includes walks at each end on top of the red line ride). Plus brookland is right on the MBT, which would be nice, as I have recently gotten into biking and would love to bike commute.
It's about 20 minutes to 16th & K from 16th & Colorado Ave in the morning. 16th street moves pretty well at rush hour.

Last edited by DCforever; 08-13-2012 at 12:33 PM..

Old 08-13-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
No, not serious. Georgetown has changed, but to me it has a perennial appeal and there's pretty much something for everyone. But I thought your post was really kind of in-your-face confrontational. I mentioned the scene in Columbia Heights because it was background as to how I ended up in Brightwood one morning and liked what I saw.

It's kind of like deciding to go out to hear some music and stumbling into a jazz club that appealed to you after having first witnessed a Drake concert with a bunch of teenagers. It doesn't mean that you dislike teenagers, just that it's not really your scene anymore and you recognize it.
Last time I walked around CH it seemed to have quite a range of ages and skin tones. Maybe I need to get back there just to confirm.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
It's about 20 minutes to 16th & K from 16th & Colorado Ave in the morning. 16th street moves pretty well at rush hour.
by car? part of the reason for moving from suburbia for us would be to be LESS car dependent.

I realize of course for many people the prime motive for picking DC would be the housing stock and not the transportation options - for them brightwood could make more sense than for us.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Of course, maybe you're right, and Brightwood may be too far down the path to gentrification (which no one can stop, but which many don't end up welcoming when the gentrifiers turn out to be passive-aggressive tools).
I don't think any particular form of urban or suburban life has a monopoly on people who are passive-aggressive.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:52 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,088,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I don't think any particular form of urban or suburban life has a monopoly on people who are passive-aggressive.
Probably not, although it appears, from your perceiving value in extracting for commentary one line from a post that is now almost 2 1/2 months old, that certain people in Annandale may be among the most bored on the planet.

Last edited by JD984; 08-13-2012 at 12:13 PM..

Old 08-13-2012, 11:57 AM

7 posts, read 15,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Faragut street is in Petworth and 16th Street Heights.
The Farragut N.W. I mean is near the Fort Totten station.
But Trulia mentioned it as being in Brightwood. 'Course that doesn't mean they have it right.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:12 PM

16 posts, read 43,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WASHINGTON BULLETS View Post
I agree 100%
I like it

Old 08-13-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
by car? part of the reason for moving from suburbia for us would be to be LESS car dependent.

I realize of course for many people the prime motive for picking DC would be the housing stock and not the transportation options - for them brightwood could make more sense than for us.
By bus.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontalba View Post
The Farragut N.W. I mean is near the Fort Totten station.
But Trulia mentioned it as being in Brightwood. 'Course that doesn't mean they have it right.
That's nowhere near Brightwood. Brightwood is west of Georgia Ave. Trulia obviously knows very little about DC.This is brightwood. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brightw...ashington,_D.C.

Last edited by DCforever; 08-13-2012 at 12:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: