Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2012, 02:02 PM

66 posts, read 173,291 times

Advertisements

So I have been house hunting for a while now, and was previously focused on Trinidad, Rosedale, and Edgewood. However, I recently discovered that some houses in North Petworth/Brightwood Park (south of Kennedy Street, but not by much) are in my price range, and I am very impressed with the neighborhood and with the low crime stats compared to my other options. I have toured Petworth houses and they seem generally better taken care of then others I have seen. I'm kind of enamored with the neighborhood right now- but I need a reality check. Has anyone here lived in North Petworth? What is putting me off at this point is the fact that it's a little over a mile from the houses to the metro or to nice bars/restaurants. I drive to work in Old Town Alexandria so my commute would also be very long. Do you guys think these drawbacks are worth the increased safety and nice 'neighborhood feel' (and better houses) in Petworth? In the other neighborhoods I'm looking at I would be closer to the metro and to bars, but the walk would be pretty unsafe, so I'm conflicted. I'm a mid-20's female if that plays into your advice.

I know my question is kind of a matter of taste, but any advice about this neighborhood would help. Do you like it? Is it a pain to go out on the weekends at night due to the lack of metro (1.1 miles to Fort Totten seems far to me)? How are the buses? The house I really like is across the street from a 63 stop. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 02:41 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times
There are good areas of Petworth and bad areas of Petworth. Overall I think it's an attractive neighborhood that isn't going to change dramatically due to development. Kennedy Street has struggled for 20+ years to be a viable commercial strip. Right now Georgia Avenue is about all there is of any substance.

Petworth or Fort Totten Metro is the Yellow line so you have direct access to Old Town. The 63 bus connects to the Pentworth Metro so there's no need to walk.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:41 AM

I agree with you that Kennedy Street isn't going anywhere fast, but I definitely see promise in Georgia Ave. It seems like the development is creeping upwards slowly but surely, and I must admit the planned Safeway renovation kind of gets me psyched. I love to shop in the Georgetown Safeway whenever I can, and the Petworth one might be even nicer. You're right about me being able to take the metro to work, but it'd be a mile walk on either side and I'm kind of lazy so I'd rather do a 40 minute drive probably.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:50 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times
Pretty good neighborhood site Prince Of Petworth

Old 08-29-2012, 11:01 AM

Love Prince of Petworth! I can't lie- this blog was a major factor in me discovering this neighborhood. It just seems like there's a great sense of community up there.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:26 AM

607 posts, read 1,216,463 times
OP, I used to live a few blocks from Kennedy, on 5th St, when I first moved to the DC area. It was not for me. I agree that the houses are beautiful. But as far as the nice neighborhood feel, I didn't feel that. Also, outside of Georgia Ave, I never saw a lot of people walking around in the evening so I didn't feel very safe out by myself (I'm a female in my mid-20s too, btw). There are always cabs at the Ft. Totten metro though so it wasn't a big deal to get home if I went out on the weekends. That was a big plus. And lots of buses that'll take you to Petworth or Ft. Totten metros.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:23 PM

Snd485, I appreciate your perspective. I see what you mean about there not being a lot of people walking around at night, but in comparison to the other neighborhoods I've been looking at, Rosedale near Benning Road and Trinidad, it really seemed like night and day to me. In Petworth I see a lot of old people and young families, whereas in the other neighborhoods I saw grown men fighting in the streets (literally every time I checked out Carver and Rosedale I saw this) and other people looking threatening. Glad to hear there are usually cabs at Fort Totten, getting home form bars was one of the main things I was concerned with. Mind if I ask where you live now?

Old 04-15-2013, 07:44 PM

1 posts, read 5,981 times
Default House in Petworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochrynn View Post
Snd485, I appreciate your perspective. I see what you mean about there not being a lot of people walking around at night, but in comparison to the other neighborhoods I've been looking at, Rosedale near Benning Road and Trinidad, it really seemed like night and day to me. In Petworth I see a lot of old people and young families, whereas in the other neighborhoods I saw grown men fighting in the streets (literally every time I checked out Carver and Rosedale I saw this) and other people looking threatening. Glad to hear there are usually cabs at Fort Totten, getting home form bars was one of the main things I was concerned with. Mind if I ask where you live now?
Hi Cochrynn,

Me and my wife are planning to buy a house in Petworth. It is close to Madison and Georgia Ave. We were wondering if you finally moved to the neighborhood. How did you find it? What recommendations can you give to us?

Thanks for your help!

rodrigosdb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC