Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 07:47 AM

163 posts, read 260,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASHINGTON BULLETS View Post
One of my yuppie friends used to carry $10,000 cash on him to impress the ladies.
It is a miracle that we never got robbed.
Thats the move! Where is he at now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 03:01 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,256,136 times
I like Brightwood. It's a very basic neighborhood. It doesn't have much a commercial section which I imagine has kept it off the radar but it really is one of the last middle class neighborhoods in the District.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:48 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,289,632 times
I just don't know how much Brightwood can really evolve without rail. Metro access is critical to the patterns and geography of new development and neighborhood revitalisation in the District; without it, Brightwood won't make similar strides. For those who prefer being off the radar, as terrence81 put it, then it might be a good fit, though.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:32 AM

6,848 posts, read 8,009,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
I just don't know how much Brightwood can really evolve without rail. Metro access is critical to the patterns and geography of new development and neighborhood revitalisation in the District; without it, Brightwood won't make similar strides. For those who prefer being off the radar, as terrence81 put it, then it might be a good fit, though.
Yeah Crestwood, Shepherd Park, Colonial Village, et al are just withering away to nothing.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:04 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,418,280 times
dc still has a long way to go with
commercializing all their hoods
near all those metro stations.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:22 AM

46 posts, read 79,775 times
I've lived in Brightwood Park, directly south of Brightwood, for about 3 years now and I've seen massive changes in the my short time here. It seemed to be a primarily African American, Latino, and East African neighborhood. When I first moved here, I barely saw any white folks walking around the neighborhood. Now, I see gay couples on Kennedy St and hipsters riding bikes down 9th St - 5th St. It's crazy how quickly demographics can change. Even Petworth has changed significantly over the past couple of years.

I think Columbia Heights and the Shaw area really started this change in Brightwood, Petworth. As those areas became too expensive, young people new to the area, have moved east toward Georgia Ave and beyond. I have to say, the police presence has definitely increased with this change which is a good thing. But I've seen more evictions around the area surrounding Kennedy St recently than I have in the past couple of years. That sucks. With the Wal-mart coming to Georgia and Missouri Ave, I think there area is really going to start to transform.

I just hope that the change can bring better services, restaurants,and bars to the neighborhood, but also maintain the diversity I have come to love about the neighborhood. I would hate to see this area turn into Columbia Heights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: