Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 08:04 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,097,303 times

Advertisements

A few weeks ago I decided to grab something for lunch in DC on my way to the office on a weekend. I started out in Columbia Heights, but there was a major "yuppie brunch" vibe, and most of the people looked like the young, affluent types who get sketched or photoshopped into pictures of every new apartment complex in any city. I'm sure they were enjoying themselves, but there was nothing about the atmosphere that made me want to stop there that day.

As a result, I kept driving around and eventually ended up in Brightwood - Georgia Avenue north of Petworth. It was clear that there'd been a lot of renovations of the single-family housing, and I ended up in a small bakery/take-out place that simultaneously seemed to be trying to appeal to long-time AA residents, Hispanics, and yuppies. Truth be told, the panini that I got wasn't the best (a bit on the greasy side), but I didn't really care, because the vibe in both the bakery and the neighborhood was so comfortable and low-key.

Is Brightwood generally recognized as a neighborhood that strikes such a nice balance? Is there a perception that it's only a matter of time before it becomes almost oppressively upscale, or does it still have a way to go? At least for families looking to live in DC, in an area that's not overwhelmingly geared toward 20-somethings, it seems like an attractive proposition, but perhaps I've not done enough research on the area's schools or safety.

Last edited by JD984; 05-29-2012 at 08:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 10:06 AM

6,848 posts, read 8,002,180 times
I live near Brightwood and it's an OK area. It's changing just like all of Washington DC as people give up on the old model of commuter suburbs.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
I live near Brightwood and it's an OK area. It's changing just like all of Washington DC as people give up on the old model of commuter suburbs.
LOL. I live in a "commuter suburb" and the pace of teardowns and new construction has never been greater. During the period that people were allegedly "giving up" on the "old model," the absolute growth in the suburbs continued to outpace that in DC. I do like Brightwood, though.

I don't mind when people in NYC have a parochial attitude toward their city, because it's the Big Apple. When people in DC affect that attitude, it just seems small-minded. If you took the suburban workers and visitors out of DC, this city would be about as vibrant as Camden, New Jersey.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:44 AM

66 posts, read 173,426 times
Never thought I'd see the day when Columbia Heights is described as "oppressively upscale" LOL. Have you ever been to Georgetown? Brightwood's probably on the gentrification train so if you hate young successful people so much you might want to look elsewhere.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochrynn View Post
Never thought I'd see the day when Columbia Heights is described as "oppressively upscale" LOL. Have you ever been to Georgetown? Brightwood's probably on the gentrification train so if you hate young successful people so much you might want to look elsewhere.
I've never heard of Georgetown. Where is that? Does it have an Olive Garden or a nice Au Bon Pain? If so, I'd probably love to check it out some day if I can find it!

I don't dislike young successful people, but there was something attractive that day about the mix of white, black and Hispanics of different ages in Brightwood that I wasn't sensing on that particular stretch of Columbia Heights (near 14th Street) where I'd gone looking for a place to park (horrors) and grab some take-out. I liked the fact that the particular bakery in Brightwood seemed to be trying to appeal to a variety of local residents, whereas some of the new places in Columbia Heights seemed designed to extract as much money out of your wallet as possible.

Of course, maybe you're right, and Brightwood may be too far down the path to gentrification (which no one can stop, but which many don't end up welcoming when the gentrifiers turn out to be passive-aggressive tools).

Last edited by JD984; 05-29-2012 at 12:22 PM..

Old 05-29-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I've never heard of Georgetown. Where is that? Does it have an Olive Garden or a nice Au Bon Pain? If so, I'd probably love to check it out some day if I can find it!
Not sure if serious.....

Old 05-29-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochrynn View Post
Not sure if serious.....
No, not serious. Georgetown has changed, but to me it has a perennial appeal and there's pretty much something for everyone. But I thought your post was really kind of in-your-face confrontational. I mentioned the scene in Columbia Heights because it was background as to how I ended up in Brightwood one morning and liked what I saw.

It's kind of like deciding to go out to hear some music and stumbling into a jazz club that appealed to you after having first witnessed a Drake concert with a bunch of teenagers. It doesn't mean that you dislike teenagers, just that it's not really your scene anymore and you recognize it.

Last edited by JD984; 05-29-2012 at 02:02 PM..

Old 05-29-2012, 01:51 PM

Location: YOU are NOT a Washingtonian. YOU are a GENTRIFIER from the CVS, Whole Foods, Starbucks & Condos era.
367 posts, read 642,650 times
Quote:
A few weeks ago I decided to grab something for lunch in DC on my way to the office on a weekend. I started out in Columbia Heights, but there was a major "yuppie brunch" vibe, and most of the people looked like the young, affluent types who get sketched or photoshopped into pictures of every new apartment complex in any city. I'm sure they were enjoying themselves, but there was nothing about the atmosphere that made me want to stop there that day.
I have always been a fan of marketing.

One of these days we should start a thread about some of the slick phrases they use below the pictures of the young, affluent types who get sketched or photoshopped in the pictures of every new apartment complex in any city that you just mentioned.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:52 PM

Location: YOU are NOT a Washingtonian. YOU are a GENTRIFIER from the CVS, Whole Foods, Starbucks & Condos era.
367 posts, read 642,650 times
Quote:
LOL. I live in a "commuter suburb" and the pace of teardowns and new construction has never been greater. During the period that people were allegedly "giving up" on the "old model," the absolute growth in the suburbs continued to outpace that in DC. I do like Brightwood, though.

I don't mind when people in NYC have a parochial attitude toward their city, because it's the Big Apple. When people in DC affect that attitude, it just seems small-minded. If you took the suburban workers and visitors out of DC, this city would be about as vibrant as Camden, New Jersey.
I agree 100%

Old 05-29-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
No, not serious. But I thought your post was really kind of in-your-face confrontational. I mentioned the scene in Columbia Heights because it was background as to how I ended up in Brightwood one morning and liked what I saw.

It's kind of like deciding to go out to hear some music and finding a jazz club that appealed to you after inadvertently stumbling into a Drake concert with a bunch of teenagers. It doesn't mean that you dislike teenagers, just that it's not really your scene anymore and you know it.

I just don't appreciate your characterization of gentrifiers as "passive-aggressive tools." There are plenty of people moving into transitional areas that want to be part of the community, not whitewash it and drive older residents out. Just because many of them are visibly different, being white, or young; and attract businesses that may be out of the norm for the neighborhood, doesn't make them tools. Their culture is just as valid as anyone else's, and there's nothing that makes your typical DC Subs/Chinese food/Chicken/Fish dump intrinsically better or more 'welcoming' than a Starbucks or brunch restaurant. You may have liked that greasy panini and felt welcome there but that business exists to make money, just like any other. A place being less swanky doesn't make it some bastion of community togetherness and diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: