Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 03:35 PM

6,848 posts, read 8,009,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
dc has a sailing culture but not really a fishing
culture, because it is not a blue-collar town.
Try visiting Hains Point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 07:54 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,091,610 times
Ajoy77, how many of these 214 sights have you and your husband visited? Washington DC Vacations, Tourism and Washington DC, District of Columbia Travel Reviews - TripAdvisor Please read through the whole list. There are enough sights here to keep you busy for several years - and most of them are Free of charge. Furthermore, there are also countless social groups for every conceivable belief, interest, hobby, sporting activity, etc. I can provide you their websites on request.

I'm really astonished and baffled at anyone who could be bored at living in our metropolis of 5 million, highly diverse, educated people. Now if your complaint concerned the heavy traffic, hot weather, or high cost of living, then that I could easily understand.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:37 PM

16 posts, read 51,757 times
Thanks for all the nice and not so nice responses. Im not sure why some are so rude and defensive on here, but that is beside the point. Let me clarify by saying I am in no way a hipster and am not looking for that kind of scene. You can appreciate a great city without having a pork cuts tattoo!

I have read the city paper and going out guide and have checked out plethora of events, festivals, shows, etc. Of course I appreciate that there are many many things to do here. Although I notice that most places and activities are geared towards families or singles; not much that appeals to 30 something couples without kids. Perhaps that is what I've been missing; an environment where we can go and not be 10 years older than everyone else or the only ones without a double wide stroller.

I also do understand there is culture and history here, but there is such a stark contrast between the urban blight of one area vs the corporate gentrification of an adjacent area that it disturbs me and overshadows the character. Except in the more gentrified areas, there are not many corner stores, indepedent shops, delis etc to energize the neighborhoods- just blocks and blocks of housing and an occasional Chinese restaurant. There's just not the overall feeling of city pride, instead its NW vs NE vs SE vs SW; again things feel very segregated and disconnected.

Again just my observations and experiences.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:15 PM

585 posts, read 2,017,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJoy77 View Post
Thanks for all the nice and not so nice responses. Im not sure why some are so rude and defensive on here, but that is beside the point. Let me clarify by saying I am in no way a hipster and am not looking for that kind of scene. You can appreciate a great city without having a pork cuts tattoo!
Makes your point. If you're sensing hostility from the place you're supposed to call home, maybe you're not supposed to call it home after all.

Quote:
I have read the city paper and going out guide and have checked out plethora of events, festivals, shows, etc. Of course I appreciate that there are many many things to do here. Although I notice that most places and activities are geared towards families or singles; not much that appeals to 30 something couples without kids. Perhaps that is what I've been missing; an environment where we can go and not be 10 years older than everyone else or the only ones without a double wide stroller.
Again, you're answering your own question here. It would make sense that you would feel a little out of place if that's your perception of the area. I don't see double wide strollers, maybe you're hanging out in the wrong places? Others have suggested that. I'm not saying you have to take a tour of Ward 8 (but I'll offer one to you anyway ) but try to expand your horizons and if it still doesn't fit, it might never.

Quote:
I also do understand there is culture and history here, but there is such a stark contrast between the urban blight of one area vs the corporate gentrification of an adjacent area that it disturbs me and overshadows the character. Except in the more gentrified areas, there are not many corner stores, indepedent shops, delis etc to energize the neighborhoods- just blocks and blocks of housing and an occasional Chinese restaurant. There's just not the overall feeling of city pride, instead its NW vs NE vs SE vs SW; again things feel very segregated and disconnected.
Things do feel very segregated, that's an astute observation. Maybe you aren't comfortable in that kind of environment, no matter how many museums or parks you go to. I come from racially hostile Milwaukee and I still feel it here, but everyone has their own personal comfort level for any kind of hostility be it racial, personal or from random people on an Internet forum. Only you know what that is.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:36 AM

27,668 posts, read 28,761,723 times
As if New York City isn't segregated with Manhattan being overwhelmingly white and most of the other boroughs being overwhelmingly minorities.

It's pretty clear that the OP wants DC to be Brooklyn. Here's a clue: DC ain't Brooklyn.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:27 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,418,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Try visiting Hains Point.
I'm talking about merchant marine culture.

----

I think the lady is just saying dc has a funny
vibe that she can't get with. People can
keep catching feelings about it, but whatever.
That works both ways.

Last edited by 11KAP; 06-15-2012 at 08:43 AM..

Old 06-15-2012, 10:06 AM

136 posts, read 579,333 times
Quote:
Although I notice that most places and activities are geared towards families or singles; not much that appeals to 30 something couples without kids. Perhaps that is what I've been missing; an environment where we can go and not be 10 years older than everyone else or the only ones without a double wide stroller.
Just curious, why did you choose to live in Alexandria? Are you in Old Town? Is it close to work? I would assume that someone coming from Brooklyn would like DC much better by living in DC proper. Again, this is just my experience but I have many, many friends that are in their 30s+ and childless (including my husband and I). I would assume that Alexandria is much more family oriented because many (not all) people move to VA and MD when they are ready to have children.

I do understand what you mean about corporate chain store neighborhoods vs. liquor/chinese carry out neighborhoods. It can be frustrating to see areas that you would assume would be brimming with retail options be desolate and sad.

Personally, I think you would be much happier if you lived close to the U street area and didn't just visit here or there...

Old 02-05-2014, 11:46 AM

Location: YOU are NOT a Washingtonian. YOU are a GENTRIFIER from the CVS, Whole Foods, Starbucks & Condos era.
367 posts, read 642,909 times
Quote:

Again just my observations and experiences.
I think it is healthy when someone admits present day DC is not as exciting & fun as others may claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC