Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 04:37 PM

85 posts, read 233,431 times

Advertisements

I have another thread about relocating and looking for rental resources. I've got a line on one leasing agent but, for the most part, looks like it's gonna be a lot of legwork on my part. While I am not in DC, I am doing a lot of apartment/townhouse/etc. hunting online.

Thing is, I've encountered something twice for places that I like: the agent (or whomever) is somewhat certain the place will get reserved prior to the showing so I 'should jump on it' sight unseen if I am interested. Plus both places have a discount for prepaying- 10% if you pay 3 months advance, 15% for 6 months, etc.

This reads like a scam, right?

How common is it for people to reserve a place that they were not able to view due to current tenants? (This is not typical in my experiences but all of my apartment living has been done overseas.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 05:00 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,901,416 times
This is a very common unfortunate scam. Never ever ever rent an apartment from someone without seeing it, unless it is a large complex managed by a reputable company (Archstone, Vornado, Bozzuto), and even then I wouldn't recommend it.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:10 PM

585 posts, read 2,020,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
This is a very common unfortunate scam. Never ever ever rent an apartment from someone without seeing it, unless it is a large complex managed by a reputable company (Archstone, Vornado, Bozzuto), and even then I wouldn't recommend it.
Even if you are dealing with a reputable company you have to be careful (as someone on this forum recently learned) as what you see on online and what you actually get can be two completely different things. There may be one "model" that miraculously disappears after you've signed, leaving you with a crappier unit.

That's not exclusive to DC and I don't know that the companies listed do that for fact, just throwing it out there.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:11 PM

Thanks Boom. Even as I was typing my post out, I was thinking "do you really even need to ask if this is a scam?" I just wasn't sure how fast the rental market was in DC and if that contributed to this type of arrangement (if it were legit).

Old 06-13-2012, 05:14 PM

Thanks to you too Killa (Monty Python?). Those folks definitely pushed a sense of urgency; I need to chill. I won't go homeless afterall.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesOnTheMove View Post
Thanks to you too Killa (Monty Python?). Those folks definitely pushed a sense of urgency; I need to chill. I won't go homeless afterall.
Ha, no, it's from a Moloko song. So funny, you're the first to ask - someone on another area of the forum thought I was a sick a*hole for having such a "repulsive name" :P

ANYWAY, yes, you will be fine. Is there any possibility you can just rent even a room short term so you can really take your time once you get here to find something you like? That's what I did when I moved out from CA (searched Craigslist first, found some things I liked, flew out two months before my move with my checkbook prepared to write a check at the property as soon as I found one I liked) and I do not regret it. I moved 7 months or so after that, it took me maybe two weeks to find a place I could see myself living long term but by then I knew more about the area and was able to take my time. Happy to report I'm about to sign another year lease at the same place and may never move ha.

Worst case scenario, folks here can help you sniff out specific buildings if we are familiar with them once you have a lead on something that looks good to you. Good properties do go quickly but not to the point where you should be pressured into signing sight-unseen.

If it feels off, it probably is.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:34 PM

I don't have the luxury of doing a temp place as a place holder. My stuff is in storage from my last employer and if I don't get it delivered within July then I bear the full cost of the pack out, storage and relocation. If I get it delivered in July, it's all free (to me). I'm in DC next week to house (rent) hunt and my hope is to have 10 to 15 places lined up for viewing during my time on the ground. If I don't secure a place during that week, I do have a couple of weeks leeway in which I could simply rent a room.

Thanks for the advice, ya'll. I really appreciate it. I feel like a total rube.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:07 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,901,416 times
No worries. I had a house hunting trip when I moved to the area and managed to find a place. Having a list prepared is great but also comb Craigslist religiously while you're here. There are some good posts on there and you may get lucky and find exactly what you're looking for.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:33 PM

I forget what you said you wanted in your first post, sorry, but if you're up for the hood (it isn't nearly bad as people say it is), we've got a two bedroom on the rental market in my complex. 800 sq ft or so, granite/stainless in the kitchen, granite in the bathroom, all hardwood, central air/heat, washer/dryer in unit, pet friendly (unless the owners are saying they don't want the renter to have pets, my owner has no problem with my cats), plenty of parking, REALLY quiet despite what people who haven't lived or even been here might think.

I'm sure you'll find something no problem but, you know, just in case

Old 06-13-2012, 07:51 PM

Thanks for the positive messages, you guys. There are some real Debbie Downers on these forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC