Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 10:23 PM

70 posts, read 110,325 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I currently live in NE, but I want to move to an apt in SW. I have looked at the ratings on apartmentratings.com for Capitol Park Plaza and Capitol Towers and they have been pretty mixed. I saw mentions of bed bugs, roaches, and hoodlums. The other apartments that i liked has maximum income restrictions that I exceed(400 M Street). I also checked Waterfront Towers and The Commons, both are full. Are there any good buildings that I am missing. I am looking for a 1br under $1100, hopefully with utilities?

Any Suggestions?

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 07:27 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,716,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentina Cavalli View Post
Hello all,

I currently live in NE, but I want to move to an apt in SW. I have looked at the ratings on apartmentratings.com for Capitol Park Plaza and Capitol Towers and they have been pretty mixed. I saw mentions of bed bugs, roaches, and hoodlums. The other apartments that i liked has maximum income restrictions that I exceed(400 M Street). I also checked Waterfront Towers and The Commons, both are full. Are there any good buildings that I am missing. I am looking for a 1br under $1100, hopefully with utilities?

Any Suggestions?

Thank you in advance.
For that price, Capital Park Plaza and Capital Park Towers are all you would pretty much find. You might possibly find a spot at 1001 at the Waterfront. I just moved from SW after 3 years of living there and I miss it already.

I lived at CPP for a year. It was decent.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:33 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,152,716 times
Try Potomac Place Tower or 355 I Street. Mind you these are condos, so you may have to sign some leasing paperwork or however that works.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:24 AM

Man, she will not find a studio in Potomac Place for $1100. If they go up to $1300 maybe.

Look at what I just saw on craigslist.

Southwest Waterfront Condo near metro, Free Utilities!

Old 06-14-2012, 12:10 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,543,241 times
Yeah, that's a tough price range -- I was about to suggest Capitol Riverfront, but the buildings there are newer and pricier. I've met a few people who live at CPP who haven't had any complaints.

Keep in mind that the people who post on apartment rating websites generally have an axe to grind -- a typical tenant who has a perfectly satisfactory experience won't feel driven one way or another to rant or rave about their apartment.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:45 PM

2,149 posts, read 4,152,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Heartbreak Kid View Post
Man, she will not find a studio in Potomac Place for $1100. If they go up to $1300 maybe.

Look at what I just saw on craigslist.

Southwest Waterfront Condo near metro, Free Utilities!
Ugh, hardwood flooring. Yuck.

If that's the going rate for a studio around this area, then I will be happy when I rent out my condo eventually.

I'm quite surprised by these prices though...it's not like the area is booming yet.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post

If that's the going rate for a studio around this area, then I will be happy when I rent out my condo eventually.

I'm quite surprised by these prices though...it's not like the area is booming yet.

I plan to buy a townhome in SW next year.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:55 PM

585 posts, read 2,015,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post

Hard to tell from that tiny picture but it looks more like hardwood-colored vinyl to me than actual hardwood. Which would be a true YUCK.

I love my hardwood floors. I also love my 700 sq feet for way less than what these people are charging, yikes.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:56 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,181,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killabunnies View Post
Hard to tell from that tiny picture but it looks more like hardwood-colored vinyl to me than actual hardwood. Which would be a true YUCK.

I love my hardwood floors. I also love my 700 sq feet for way less than what these people are charging, yikes.
It says hardwood floors. If it's vinyl, obviously false advertising. I'm also surprised at the price for such a small place. I used to work nearby (4th and C, SW) and lived for a month in Oakmont Apartments very close (during transition from an overseas posting), and might consider this place if I still lived there, but otherwise probably not. I haven't worked there since late 2004, however, so maybe it's improved since then. Some of the townhouses looked okay.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:51 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,716,798 times
Any chance you could get a roommate? If so, I know a fantastic 2-bedroom place where your half,if you take the smaller bedroom, would be about $1100 (we're moving out).

That listing is about what my landlord charges for the studio below our house. I dunno, it's weird, I recently bought and wound up finding a place in Dupont* easier than I could find one I liked in SW. In general the condo fees were way too high (even for DC) and I figured it was worth the extra $50/month to have a second bedroom and live in Dupont. I'll miss the neighborhood, though, loved living down there.

*admittedly, I landed a deal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC