Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 11:40 AM

15,468 posts, read 25,917,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by killabunnies View Post
Do you know if that's ALL of Maryland? I saw they stuck two camera stations on 414 through Oxon Hill right when you come over from the DC side - no sign, no warning, just big camera stations on the side of the road. They've only been there for a few days so I'm not sure if they're even live yet.

The most effed up part about it is there's no clear speed limit sign over there so I guess you find out when you get a ticket what the speed limit is
I thought it was only Montgomery County with the 12 MPH thing, but here on C-D Forums everyone says it is statewide. I can't say for sure, but no one has disputed the statewide claim. That's the best answer I can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 01:22 PM

27,750 posts, read 28,863,566 times
I love speed cameras. They should put them all over the place to punish these "big shot" drivers and bikers who think they can get away with it. Yeah buddy.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:04 PM

585 posts, read 2,019,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I thought it was only Montgomery County with the 12 MPH thing, but here on C-D Forums everyone says it is statewide. I can't say for sure, but no one has disputed the statewide claim. That's the best answer I can give.
Better than nothing, thank you! I'll let you guys know if they pop me in Oxon Hill since I have no idea what the actual speed limit is and therefore can't avoid a ticket if I'm going over.

And to BigCityDreamer: I'm an EXCELLENT driver (learned to drive on the freeways of Chicago, you better be good to survive that) and don't make a habit of speeding, in fact, it seems even MORE dangerous for traffic to be stalled by a bunch of people easily going along at 55 suddenly ground to a halt at 40 due to a speed camera. Sure there are jerks blasting through residential zones that deserve to get caught but how is it any more safer when you have smooth traffic suddenly interrupted by a speed camera? It's stupid and predatory.

Thank God I quit my job and no longer have to cruise the streets like I used to during my commute, I resent being looked at like a revenue stream.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:43 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,223,922 times
How do you guys actually know what they are doing in there? Have you actually asked? The others don't have an actual officer in there so maybe this is some type of supervisor running it all? It's annoying when people get on their high horse and complain about something they know nothing about.

I love listening to comments towards the fire department. My favorite is when we pull up to a fire and I hear the comment, "What took you guys so long?" When in reality we saw on a CAD screen on a computer that the call was coming out for a building fire and we left the fire house before it was even dispatched which resulted in a 30 second response time from dispatch to arrival. Or another about us sleeping all day. Not only do I not sleep all day, I never get more than about 3 hours of sleep at night in my 24 hour shift. Hell if I'm on the ambulance I don't even bother making up a bed because I won't touch it for more than 5 minutes at a time. I'm just happy to have a day where I can eat all 3 meals since we don't get an actual break and DC has one of the most abused 911 systems in the country.

I'm done complaining but wanted to say that because some people in DC don't understand the quality of protection they are getting from their police and fire departments. It's funny how we get treated here compared to other cities in the country. Here they don't care about us until they need us.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
How do you guys actually know what they are doing in there? Have you actually asked? The others don't have an actual officer in there so maybe this is some type of supervisor running it all? It's annoying when people get on their high horse and complain about something they know nothing about.
Excellent point! Next time I am on 295, let me just pull over, block traffic and knock on the window to ask. It appears to me they are sitting in a car with a giant camera behind a sign that says "PHOTO ENFORCED" staring at a laptop but I will take your advice and stop in the middle of the freeway to find out just to be sure.

Quote:
I love listening to comments towards the fire department. My favorite is when we pull up to a fire and I hear the comment, "What took you guys so long?" When in reality we saw on a CAD screen on a computer that the call was coming out for a building fire and we left the fire house before it was even dispatched which resulted in a 30 second response time from dispatch to arrival. Or another about us sleeping all day. Not only do I not sleep all day, I never get more than about 3 hours of sleep at night in my 24 hour shift. Hell if I'm on the ambulance I don't even bother making up a bed because I won't touch it for more than 5 minutes at a time. I'm just happy to have a day where I can eat all 3 meals since we don't get an actual break and DC has one of the most abused 911 systems in the country.
Maybe DC would have a better 911 system if DC police didn't insist victims of simple crimes like, oh, a car break in CALL 911 to have POLICE DISPATCHED to the scene. Mind you I was already on the phone with my local precinct when they told me that. Yeah, no thanks. I respect that 911 exists for real emergencies.

Quote:
I'm done complaining but wanted to say that because some people in DC don't understand the quality of protection they are getting from their police and fire departments. It's funny how we get treated here compared to other cities in the country. Here they don't care about us until they need us.
What about this complaint has anything to do with the quality of protection we get? And who brought the fire department into it?! Shaking my car down like a bunch of thugs just because they can for "speeding" tickets isn't protection, it's extortion. Seems you're the one who could use hopping off a high horse, my friend.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:41 PM

Oh and just to show how dedicated our esteemed DC police are to the health and welfare of its citizens since ffknight918 wanted to go there...

Today I was sitting at a stop sign in my neighborhood so a young man of maybe 12 - 14 years old could cross the street. He was not on the corner when I stopped so technically I could have just blasted out of the stop sign once I stopped and gone along my merry way but I was not in a rush and wanted to do the polite thing. So I sat a few seconds longer at the stop sign and waved him across.

No sooner did he step into the road in front of me than a DC cop car comes blasting down the opposite side of the road (no lights on, just cruising the neighborhood as they are wont to do), does a California stop at the stop sign and practically hits the kid crossing the street!

Your tax dollars hard at work, folks. Thanks for the "protection"

Old 06-26-2012, 12:17 PM

You're right man. EVERY cop is bad. You know exactly what every single one is thinking and doing. You seriously don't have a clue about the job so until you do your opinion isn't really valid. If you think you can do a better job then be my guest. Until then stop making yourself sound stupid.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:14 AM

534 posts, read 1,174,982 times
Quote:
+1. And this is not DC-specific. It could be a myriad of things the officer is doing. The fact is, people who have no idea what cops do and how they do it LOVE to point fingers and say "he's not 'doing anything' right now - our tax dollars at work..." - because it's easier to do that than to try to understand what he might be doing: a supervisor coordinating multiple traffic cams, someone setting it up or taking it down, or (news flash) no working traffic cam at the site at all and a cover for some other kind of activity. Bit#$ing and whining is almost always easier (and more sensational) than figuring out the truth.

As far as the old 'he was driving fast and didn't have his lights on....' There are a lot of times when an officer needs to drive fast to do something that doesn't rise to the level of a full-on, lights-and-siren-blaring, 911-type emergency. Mobile surveillance, going to assist another officer or deal with an issue that needs to be done ASAP, but is not an emergency (like something non-life-threatening that could get that way if they take their time), etc. Again, you don't know by looking at the car what the real deal is.

I have no doubt that every agency has an officer who is doing something wrong/something they shouldn't. But if the wrongdoing is THAT rampant and someone is THAT concerned about it and about the quality of their police, the level of "protection" they get, whatever, there are things that can be done instead of simply whining about it. Join one of the many community policing groups that nearly every major municipal law enforcement agency is affiliated with, volunteer, get involved in some way, or simply do some research on law enforcement in the 21st century before you make blind assumptions.

But at a minimum, you might want to open your eyes and at least try to understand what might be going on.

Quote:
Next time I am on 295, let me just pull over, block traffic and knock on the window to ask. It appears to me they are sitting in a car with a giant camera behind a sign that says "PHOTO ENFORCED" staring at a laptop but I will take your advice and stop in the middle of the freeway to find out just to be sure.
And this statement, in response to someone who actually works in public service and probably knows more about it, anyway (but is at least willing to offer another alternative), doesn't exactly show a readiness to do that. In fact, to me, it shows a preference for dismissing what might be an informed opinion and simply carrying on in ignorance.

A person with 1) an uninformed opinion and assumptions made based on that, alone, coupled with 2) an unwillingness to consider other explanations... has more issues regarding being on a "high horse" than most others.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenaroundabit View Post
+1. And this is not DC-specific. It could be a myriad of things the officer is doing. The fact is, people who have no idea what cops do and how they do it LOVE to point fingers and say "he's not 'doing anything' right now - our tax dollars at work..." - because it's easier to do that than to try to understand what he might be doing: a supervisor coordinating multiple traffic cams, someone setting it up or taking it down, or (news flash) no working traffic cam at the site at all and a cover for some other kind of activity. Bit#$ing and whining is almost always easier (and more sensational) than figuring out the truth.

As far as the old 'he was driving fast and didn't have his lights on....' There are a lot of times when an officer needs to drive fast to do something that doesn't rise to the level of a full-on, lights-and-siren-blaring, 911-type emergency. Mobile surveillance, going to assist another officer or deal with an issue that needs to be done ASAP, but is not an emergency (like something non-life-threatening that could get that way if they take their time), etc. Again, you don't know by looking at the car what the real deal is.

I have no doubt that every agency has an officer who is doing something wrong/something they shouldn't. But if the wrongdoing is THAT rampant and someone is THAT concerned about it and about the quality of their police, the level of "protection" they get, whatever, there are things that can be done instead of simply whining about it. Join one of the many community policing groups that nearly every major municipal law enforcement agency is affiliated with, volunteer, get involved in some way, or simply do some research on law enforcement in the 21st century before you make blind assumptions.

But at a minimum, you might want to open your eyes and at least try to understand what might be going on.

And this statement, in response to someone who actually works in public service and probably knows more about it, anyway (but is at least willing to offer another alternative), doesn't exactly show a readiness to do that. In fact, to me, it shows a preference for dismissing what might be an informed opinion and simply carrying on in ignorance.

A person with 1) an uninformed opinion and assumptions made based on that, alone, coupled with 2) an unwillingness to consider other explanations... has more issues regarding being on a "high horse" than most others.
Thank you! I knew I wasn't the only person that thought this person sounded ignorant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC