Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 05:20 PM

144 posts, read 260,109 times

Advertisements

hey...just wondering if there's anyone who has moved from SF to DC and how they like it. What do they like or hate about DC compared? I'm thinking of making a transition from DC to SF...so just wondering.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 05:12 PM

585 posts, read 2,018,973 times
HA yes. Made the move almost two years ago. How long have you been in SF?

It is a HUGE adjustment. COL is close rent-wise - although at least in DC you can live in a "less desirable" area like I do for cheap unlike SF where even the Tenderloin will cost you. Overall COL is lower though - I pay more in car insurance but groceries/gas etc are still lower and rent is manageable.

I was completely over SF by the time I left so DC's differences were welcome. The racial hostility takes a lot of getting used to (that's exactly what I walked away from in Milwaukee over a decade ago) and you'll crave good restaurants (DC has good ones but nothing like SF where I could walk out of my apartment and find Russian bakeries, dim sum, sushi, BBQ and Indonesian within a few blocks) but I don't regret making the move.

I always tell anyone coming from California to manage their expectations. DC is DC, not SF. Personally I craved the awareness of current events and didn't feel my friends in SF got that part. I like that people here flaunt their degrees and knowledge and connections, where I didn't feel they did that in SF.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:30 PM

144 posts, read 260,109 times
hmmm...thanks killabunnies (nice name). I'm actually in DC right now looking to move to SF (going to choose b/w SF and NY, but leaning more towards SF, already did NY once).

I actually don't like the fact that people flaunt their degrees and connections here (but I haven't noticed this too much). What was it about SF that you were "completely over"? Was it that you just wanted a change in scenery or particular things about SF?

Old 07-10-2012, 01:56 PM

687 posts, read 1,380,839 times
Ignoring the obvious difference in the weather and topography, San Francisco and Washington are similar in many respects. Both are relatively small dense cities, very liberal politics, cultural and intellectual elites, white minority population, mecca for tourists, large single and gay population.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:07 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,917,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundman View Post
very liberal politics.
Very false. This area isn't close to liberal or progressive like San Francisco is. DC=statist, SF=liberal, and there is a difference.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:09 AM

27,696 posts, read 28,815,324 times
I haven't lived in SF but I've stayed in the city a few times. It's probably the best city on the west coast and one of the most scenic in the U.S. If you like year-round cool/mild weather, urban density and skyscrapers, and being close to the water, then SF is your place.

However, I feel that I would miss DC a lot if I moved to SF. DC has so much significant U.S. history and so many great museums that SF can't match. DC is also in a fast-growing and dynamic region. The fact that DC is an east coast city and close to all the major cities here is also a big deal to me.

So in short, SF is good - there are a many things to see and do there. But DC is better. That's my personal take on the matter.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 07-11-2012 at 09:32 AM..

Old 07-11-2012, 10:35 AM

687 posts, read 1,380,839 times
VTHokieFan - You are confusing the Congress with the District. The politicians on the District Council are as liberal as they come. Not a single Republican.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:17 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,557,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Very false. This area isn't close to liberal or progressive like San Francisco is. DC=statist, SF=liberal, and there is a difference.
If someone says that D.C. is as liberal as San Francisco then they don't know anything about San Francisco.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:06 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,917,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundman View Post
VTHokieFan - You are confusing the Congress with the District. The politicians on the District Council are as liberal as they come. Not a single Republican.
That may be, but this area, as in the population, are far from liberal.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:08 PM

939 posts, read 1,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
That may be, but this area, as in the population, are far from liberal.
You wish. This isn't Tidewater anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC