Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 08:38 AM

8 posts, read 31,440 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am planning to visit DC for a day. Just wondering if I can park my car at one of the metro stations and then take a metro to visit the usual landmarks in the area. I am planning to reach there by 11:00 am. Any suggestions around which metro station I can park my car at or any other suggestions on how to get around the area while I am there?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 09:50 AM

477 posts, read 1,419,464 times
Are you going on a weekday or weekend? Parking at suburban Metro stations is free on the weekends, but must be paid with a Smartrip card during the week. Also, the lots fill up very early during the week! Here is a link to some info that might be helpful.

Washington Metro – A Guide to Using the Washington, DC Metrorail

FYI: On a recent trip to DC, I wanted to visit the Smithsonian and then go to a performance at the Kennedy Center, but didn't know what to do with my car. (I was staying with relatives waaay out in the suburbs.) We ended up parking in the Kennedy Center garage ($22 on Level B, performance parking) and taking the free shuttle (every 15 minutes) to Foggy Bottom metro stop (blue and orange lines - both go to the Smithsonian mall stop). Did some tourist stuff and then caught the metro and shuttle back to the Kennedy Center. Worked out great!

Old 11-15-2012, 10:18 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,576,946 times
It's a waste of money to park at the Kennedy Center garage, and then ride a shuttle, and THEN pay for the metro to Smithsonian. You can find garages within walking distance of the Smithsonian stop. Look into the Ronald Reagan building parking garage: Washington DC Public Parking | Ronald Reagan Building | Parking Near National Mall & Theater or bestparking.com to find garage rates.

Also you can just drive around and look for street parking spots. This is easier on the weekends, especially Sunday, when not as many meters are active. Street parking is free on Sunday.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
It's a waste of money to park at the Kennedy Center garage, and then ride a shuttle, and THEN pay for the metro to Smithsonian. You can find garages within walking distance of the Smithsonian stop. Look into the Ronald Reagan building parking garage: Washington DC Public Parking | Ronald Reagan Building | Parking Near National Mall & Theater or bestparking.com to find garage rates.

Also you can just drive around and look for street parking spots. This is easier on the weekends, especially Sunday, when not as many meters are active. Street parking is free on Sunday.
In our particular case, it was not a waste of time or money. We wanted to have our car at 10:30pm when the performance was over and we only wanted to park once. However, for the OP the Ronald Reagan parking garage would be a better option.

If you do street parking, keep in mind that most spots are only good for 2 hours.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:39 AM

Like I said, on Sundays things are different and the 2 hour restrictions are not in place.

Also, even on weekdays the restrictions usually end in the evening. I've never had problems finding free street spots on evenings near the Mall or Kennedy Center.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
Like I said, on Sundays things are different and the 2 hour restrictions are not in place.

Also, even on weekdays the restrictions usually end in the evening. I've never had problems finding free street spots on evenings near the Kennedy Center.
stateofnature, keep in mind that this thread was started in the RaleighDurhamChapelHill forum and I responded to it as a member of THAT forum. As an out of town "tourist", I was very happy to let the driver of the shuttle bus deal with the awful traffic that we encountered. I didn't want the aggravation of figuring out how to get around during my short trip. The OP appears to also be looking for the least stressful way to be a "tourist". Driving around a strange city can be very stressful!

Old 11-15-2012, 10:50 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,384,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkfloyd View Post
Hi,
I am planning to visit DC for a day. Just wondering if I can park my car at one of the metro stations and then take a metro to visit the usual landmarks in the area. I am planning to reach there by 11:00 am. Any suggestions around which metro station I can park my car at or any other suggestions on how to get around the area while I am there?

Thanks.
If it's just you, it's going to be cheaper to Metro than it is to park in DC. Parking is 4.75 at the Metro on weekdays (free on weekends) and round-trip off-peak fare would be around $7 from the further-out Metro stations to and from DC. You'll also have to buy a SmarTrip card for $5, or pay an extra dollar for each Metro trip if you choose to not buy the card and buy paper farecards instead. If you plan on ever coming back to DC, or taking more than 5 trips on Metro while here, I strongly suggest buying the SmarTrip card. $16.75 total (or $12 if it's a weekend) is cheaper than most of the daily parking you'll find in DC.

If you're going to be doing a lot of Metroing while here, a day pass is $14.

If you're coming on a weekday, I can tell you that most end-of-the-line Metro stations are going to have parking available around 10-10:30AM. The reason for this is that some spots are "reserved" until 10AM and then they open up to the public. In some stations, but not all, these spots will still be available at 11AM.

If you're coming on a weekend, all end-of-the-line Metro stations are going to have parking available.

For any more specific advice, we need to know which direction you're coming from.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizunomom View Post
stateofnature, keep in mind that this thread was started in the RaleighDurhamChapelHill forum and I responded to it as a member of THAT forum. As an out of town "tourist", I was very happy to let the driver of the shuttle bus deal with the awful traffic that we encountered. I didn't want the aggravation of figuring out how to get around during my short trip. The OP appears to also be looking for the least stressful way to be a "tourist". Driving around a strange city can be very stressful!
Many people don't find city driving very stressful and quite easy if it means saving money. I'm just providing him all the options and he can decide for himself.

Although pcity is correct that probably the cheapest way for one person in the middle of the day and not the evening is to park at the metro and take that in all the way. However, if you take more than one round trip on the metro, then you might end up spending more money than if you just drove all the way in and parked at a garage.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:12 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,696,091 times
Honestly, driving in DC sometimes feels like slamming a door on your hand, and that's coming from someone who's been driving here for a few years.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:40 PM

11 posts, read 36,490 times
I like to park at the Pentagon City Metro Station and then take the metro from there. Obviously it depends on where you're coming from but if South Arlington is on your way it's pretty convenient. You can go two stops North from there to L'Enfant and walk to the mall from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC