Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2012, 01:32 PM

1,757 posts, read 5,138,019 times

Advertisements

Ill keep this short as I'm sure it's been covered before, I'm thinking about big changes in the nearish future and possibly packing up the wife and selling the rentals and moving to DC. I've lived in Baltimore for years and just see a career rut unless dramatic and near impossible macro socio economic change occurs. I love Baltimore but I'm not in love like previous years.

I'm 29 and married, maybe a kid or two in the future, and work in real estate sales. In about a year, ill have a masters degree in RE development from Hopkins. I'm fascinated by land use and redeveloping old property. I've done quite well purchasing foreclosures and doing value add development. It seems like Hopkins is played out in the city unless you're in healthcare so I need to look elsewhere.

I've got a get it done at all costs attitude, am extremely resourceful, can talk to anyone and understand financial modeling out proposed developments very well. I enjoy sales but don't really respect the career field.

Any ideas where I could end up at? I love old buildings and bringing new life to them. I love the idea of DC but no idea where I would start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 12:34 PM

144 posts, read 259,586 times
How about working for the city of DC, such as the DC economic development commission for a year or two...make your connections and see it all from the "inside" and then hook up with a private developer? This is the "DC Way", it's all about government-to-private enterprises and making connections with the power brokers. DC, as I'm sure Baltimore is in some way, is in the midst of a development revolution - whole neighborhoods which were once poor and crime ridden are/have been/will be planned for re-development, case in point, U St., Penn Quarter/Chinatown, Shaw, Logan and now Bloomingdale and Southwest Waterfront...they'll still need people like you - maybe even more so - in a couple of years as these things take a while to plan and develop.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:54 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,542,114 times
If you've done a good business with renovating/flipping in Baltimore, then you'll feel pretty comfortable doing the same in DC -- the returns here are even better, and the neighborhoods you'll be working in are a lot less rough. The money here is mostly in rehabbing or building residential, since there's little loft space available.

If you'd like to go corporate, there are plenty of chances to join established firms here, particularly if you're good with ARGUS; ULI's job board is particularly useful. And with organizations like ULI, NAHB, NAR, etc. here, there's a steady stream of networking opportunities.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:40 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
don't just up and quit yo. it's hectic in dc.

is that what you want?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC