Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2013, 04:03 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,854,187 times

Advertisements

Long story short, I am moving for work back to DC and found a place I like.

I put down a refundable deposit and went through the application, got approved and was quoted a monthly rate with a free month at the end of the rental period. They sent over a lease today. It is 28 PAGES LONG and the weirdest lease I have ever seen (I rented in DC for many years before moving out of state).

The rent amount quoted in the lease is 3067 and they are giving me a "discount" over the course of the lease to bring it to 2475. The building is an old one, and covered by DC rent control, and the landlord applied for a 70% exception to do improvements like put in a gym.

I was very uneasy with the terms of the lease and told the agent. She called the landlord and he is now re-doing it to reflect the actual rent amount. I think what they were trying to do is to indicate a higher rental amount on the lease so that next year when they increase, the "ceiling" is much higher. I am not sure though.

Would you work with these people? This seems very very odd.

Last edited by confusedasusual; 06-18-2013 at 04:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 05:10 PM

199 posts, read 334,161 times
I'd say you're right to be wary. Did all you have previously was a verbal agreement that your actual rent would be discounted to 2475? If so, that's very sketchy - that's a smart move to have the lease re-written to reflect the agreed upon actual rental amount.

More often than not it pays to trust your gut on this (in my opinion anyway, I tend to be overly paranoid though ). If you really, really have your heart set on that particular place, I'm sure you could get a lawyer at a reasonable fee to look over the revised lease.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:28 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,854,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opacy View Post
I'd say you're right to be wary. Did all you have previously was a verbal agreement that your actual rent would be discounted to 2475? If so, that's very sketchy - that's a smart move to have the lease re-written to reflect the agreed upon actual rental amount.

More often than not it pays to trust your gut on this (in my opinion anyway, I tend to be overly paranoid though ). If you really, really have your heart set on that particular place, I'm sure you could get a lawyer at a reasonable fee to look over the revised lease.

The apartment was advertised as $2475. When I filled out the paperwork on the application it indicated the unit number and the rent of $2475. Never once did I hear this $3067 number until today.

I flat out refused to sign and said that I would back out of the deal unless it was re-done. It just seems very sketchy. From what I understand, if a landlord makes improvements to a rent controlled property in DC, he/she can apply to increase the rent ceiling. This landlord did and was approved. The rent CEILING is $3067--the RENT was never $3067. I just think this is a sneaky way to do it, though probably technically legal.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:17 PM

799 posts, read 1,549,942 times
I posted a reply to your thread in the rental forum. This LL is trying to get around DC rent control laws and charge you a lot more if you want to renew. DO NOT SIGN until they re-do the lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC