Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2007, 02:38 PM

10 posts, read 34,178 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I moved to DC/NoVa area in September but due to unforseen circumstances I had to move back to NYC (been here my enitre life) last week. Had to quit my job in NoVa (worked for only a month) to be in NY and now I want to move back. I don't think I am able to go back to my previous job since I left it. I still have my apartment in Arlington, and now I need to look for another job again. I am really interested in working for WWF in DC. I have a Finance degree and I've been doing accounting work. Does anyone know how the job market is for non profits? Especially WWF or similar organizations?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Also I want to move back in maybe 2-3 months, is that enough time to find a job? I am currently working in NY (back at my old company) for the time being, so I would need to travel to DC to interview. It will be kind of tough to do since it is almost the end of the year and I don't have any vacation days left. I plan to start my interviewing process in January. Should I bother looking now or should I just wait until January?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 04:20 PM

265 posts, read 1,063,845 times
I am told that people don't hire during the holidays, which we are now in. I would wait until January.
A lot of nonprofits list openings in places like Craigslist and the City Paper as well as the Washington Post. DC does have a lot of people moving in and out, it is worth a try, also by just identifying and contacting organizations you are interested in.
Nonprofits do not pay well, usually. If you can deal with that, OK. I worked for one and we were all overworked -- the org. budget depended largely on fund raising and so it depended what kind of a year the org. was having. We had too few people and were crammed into a tight space, with mediocre equipment. Some of the positions were part time and benefits were minimal.
I got good experience there, though. I would suggest investigating an organization's funding picture carefully.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:51 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,809,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itstangy View Post
Hello,

I moved to DC/NoVa area in September but due to unforseen circumstances I had to move back to NYC (been here my enitre life) last week. Had to quit my job in NoVa (worked for only a month) to be in NY and now I want to move back. I don't think I am able to go back to my previous job since I left it. I still have my apartment in Arlington, and now I need to look for another job again. I am really interested in working for WWF in DC. I have a Finance degree and I've been doing accounting work. Does anyone know how the job market is for non profits? Especially WWF or similar organizations?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Also I want to move back in maybe 2-3 months, is that enough time to find a job? I am currently working in NY (back at my old company) for the time being, so I would need to travel to DC to interview. It will be kind of tough to do since it is almost the end of the year and I don't have any vacation days left. I plan to start my interviewing process in January. Should I bother looking now or should I just wait until January?
Stick with VA....you can never be unemployed here with either Accounting or Finance degree. Plus the pay is great.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:37 AM

646 posts, read 814,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itstangy View Post
Hello,

Why do you want to move back to DC?

I am currently living in NYC and can't wait to move back to DC since I used to live there, I go down there often. I actually used to live in Arlington as well as other DC areas.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:51 PM

198 posts, read 926,291 times
The job market for international conservation ngos is highly competitive. Do you have a Master's degree and do you have overseas experience? This could be a tough career transition and if you don't know anybody, you are really going to have to network. Conservation International and World Resources Institute are two organizations that come to mind that might be interested in your finance background. The World Bank is another obvious organization, but is not really an option if you're looking for an entry level position. If I were trying to make this transition, I would try and get into any organization doing international development. Once you have more experience, it will then be an easier transition into an international conservation organization.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:00 PM

646 posts, read 814,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensington View Post
The job market for international conservation ngos is highly competitive. Do you have a Master's degree and do you have overseas experience? This could be a tough career transition and if you don't know anybody, you are really going to have to network. Conservation International and World Resources Institute are two organizations that come to mind that might be interested in your finance background. The World Bank is another obvious organization, but is not really an option if you're looking for an entry level position. If I were trying to make this transition, I would try and get into any organization doing international development. Once you have more experience, it will then be an easier transition into an international conservation organization.

But what about the UN in NYC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC