Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2013, 09:53 AM

1,804 posts, read 1,954,550 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if this question should be here or in the MD suburbs of DC forum, but my sister will start working at US News and World report on Thomas Jefferson Place in Georgetown that will likely occur during rush hour. Since the closest Metro stop is more than a half mile away at Foggy Bottom, it would be a bit of a challenge since we live in Howard county (just south of Columbia). I understand she can take the Camden line down to Union Station and take the Circulator bus out to Georgetown (with a free transfer with the MARC ticket), or she could drive/park and ride to either the Silver Spring or Greenbelt stations and take the Metro as far as Foggy Bottom. I just want to find out from the experts what the best method is to commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 11:44 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times
She could us CaBi to bike from Foggy Bottom Metro to TJ Place.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:51 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,984 times
I've done that walk from Foggy Bottom to Thomas Jefferson St in Georgetown before. It's really not that long. 10 to 12 minutes at a normal pace. Walk along K Street and then go under Whitehurst Freeway. Good exercise too.

I would be surprised if the Circulator bus was faster than the Metro. In fact it probably would be a lot slower. The bus makes a ton of stops, drives slow, and from Union Station to Georgetown it would have to go through all of downtown DC in heavy traffic.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:53 PM

1 posts, read 4,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
I've done that walk from Foggy Bottom to Thomas Jefferson St in Georgetown before. It's really not that long. 10 to 12 minutes at a normal pace. Walk along K Street and then go under Whitehurst Freeway. Good exercise too.

I would be surprised if the Circulator bus was faster than the Metro. In fact it probably would be a lot slower. The bus makes a ton of stops, drives slow, and from Union Station to Georgetown it would have to go through all of downtown DC in heavy traffic.
Yeah, I don't know about the morning commute, but in the evening the Georgetown-Union Station Circulator goes at a snail's pace.

This might be the best commute:

1) Drive to Laurel MARC (12 min. w/o traffic)
2) Take MARC to Union Station (35 minutes)
3) Metro to Foggy Bottom (10 minutes assuming instant transfer)
4) Bikeshare / walk to office (10 min. including walking to/from bikeshare station, 16 min. walk)

If you assume steps 1, 3, and 4 will take 15 minutes each (due to traffic, transfer, and potentially not having a bike available respectively), that's a total 80 minute commute, of which only 30 minutes are spent actively driving, walking, or biking. I don't think it'd get much better considering where you're commuting to and from.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:40 AM

273 posts, read 503,224 times
just drive a car.
join a local gym.
leave before morning rush hour.
workout, shower, walk to work.
PROFIT$.

after work, hit the gym, study, shower, leave avoiding evening rush hour = PROFIT$ 2x's.

Last edited by Exhibit_B; 07-25-2013 at 08:40 AM.. Reason: *shower

Old 07-25-2013, 06:53 PM

17 posts, read 30,116 times
I say metro to Foggy Bottom and walk. Seems like the simplest option and there will be plenty of trains running during the commute.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:32 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,543,241 times
There's also a Circulator bus between Dupont Circle (Red Line) and Georgetown; that plus the Red is probably the fastest way from Union Station to Georgetown.

Greenbelt would probably be the easiest Metro park & ride location from your location; there's no parking at Silver Spring. Glenmont also has a large P&R, but it's not right off 95.

You may also look into the various Maryland commuter buses, a few of which go to Columbia:
Commuter Bus Route Fares Listing | Maryland Transit Administration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibit_B View Post
just drive a car.
Yeah, because Georgetown is real easy to drive to/through, and features really cheap parking.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:35 PM

513 posts, read 961,748 times
There is helli-pad near the kennedy center that my company has used before.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:36 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,148,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
You may also look into the various Maryland commuter buses, a few of which go to Columbia:
Commuter Bus Route Fares Listing | Maryland Transit Administration
I know a lot of folks in Columbia who use the commuter buses. Look at 995; it has pick up points all over Columbia (last one on Broken Land) and takes you to the Farragut West Metro in about an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC