Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2013, 08:28 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,629,995 times

Advertisements

I think it is a mixture of jealously and negative people.I find plenty of cities boring but you do not see me posting my opinions on those cities forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 08:55 PM

631 posts, read 1,396,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
If you're from the metro area (Born and raised), I don't regard people as transplants. I'm a PG County resident myself. Oh, and one more thing.....

You know you love us LOL

HTTR!

Im not from the Metro area at all...I moved here in 2004....Im actually from the "Suburban Country" Salisbury.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:03 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,276,539 times
I grew up in the NoVA/DC Area and live in CA now. I find DC people to generally be cold/aloof, materialistic, overly competitive, and not very friendly. I like the city itself and all of the architecture, museums, and history, but the people are just not my cup of tea. The people I knew growing up haven't really changed since childhood. Most people I went to high school with went away to college (mostly UVA, Va Tech, JMU, or GMU) moved back home with their parents for a few years, got jobs in NoVa/DC and now are married with kids living near where they grew up. Some of them live in DC proper, but most are back in FFX County. It's a pretty insular culture that I never really understood. I'm glad to have escaped to better weather, more scenery, and mellower people.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:13 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,487,932 times
Quote:
Well, some people act like DC is the only city that takes offense (And who doesn't when their own city/metro area gets either criticized or straight-up trashed. It's human nature to defend your hometown) to anyone who bashes it, especially on C-D. Go on the City vs. City forum, and I can name more than a dozen cities who get more heat than DC, some of those other cities be one of the other major cities too. There's hate, envy, spitefulness, and jealousy everywhere. Food for your thoughts. There's a distinct difference between criticism and hatin' on C-D IMO. Criticism invites constructive and respectful dialogue/debate on what's wrong with a city/metro area and people can come up with proposals on what that city/metro area can do to make itself a much better place. Hatin' on the other hand, is when someone just likes to hear themselves talk and continue to bash/troll/over-exaggerate/generalize a city/metro area either 'just because' or because they want to link their own personal problems with that city/metro area, as if it's EVERYBODY'S (Man, Woman, and Child) fault that that person is feeling miserable about their current situation. Criticisms, I can take seriously and respect if it's constructive and healthy and respectful but hatin' on the other hand, I have no time for. As for you vicnice, your post for the most part seems to be that of criticism worthy of inviting a healthy debate IMO.
Yayy!!!

Old 08-18-2013, 09:17 PM

708 posts, read 1,205,605 times
Quote:
Well, some people act like DC is the only city that takes offense (And who doesn't when their own city/metro area gets either criticized or straight-up trashed. It's human nature to defend your hometown) to anyone who bashes it, especially on C-D. Go on the City vs. City forum, and I can name more than a dozen cities who get more heat than DC, some of those other cities be one of the other major cities too. There's hate, envy, spitefulness, and jealousy everywhere. Food for your thoughts. There's a distinct difference between criticism and hatin' on C-D IMO. Criticism invites constructive and respectful dialogue/debate on what's wrong with a city/metro area and people can come up with proposals on what that city/metro area can do to make itself a much better place. Hatin' on the other hand, is when someone just likes to hear themselves talk and continue to bash/troll/over-exaggerate/generalize a city/metro area either 'just because' or because they want to link their own personal problems with that city/metro area, as if it's EVERYBODY'S (Man, Woman, and Child) fault that that person is feeling miserable about their current situation. Criticisms, I can take seriously and respect if it's constructive and healthy and respectful but hatin' on the other hand, I have no time for. As for you vicnice, your post for the most part seems to be that of criticism worthy of inviting a healthy debate IMO.
Okay I agree there and honestly I expect you to defend your city! If we had more people standing up to bashers and driving that passion that you have into the city, it would be an awesome place.

Ive been in bars in Chicago or Seattle where the threat of saying something bad about the Cubs or Bears or Mariners (even though they SUCK!!!!!) was likely to get you a shot in the eye in the rich part of town. DC has lost its love, identity and culture and I think everyone is pissed but it shows in different ways.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:25 PM

490 posts, read 649,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
Note: I don't find yuppies in DC to be nearly as obnoxious as the ones in NYC.
I agree, but at least their way of introducing themselves is asking what you do and who you work for.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:37 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82 View Post
Im not from the Metro area at all...I moved here in 2004....Im actually from the "Suburban Country" Salisbury.
Oh okay, my mistake then LOL

Old 08-18-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post
Okay I agree there and honestly I expect you to defend your city! If we had more people standing up to bashers and driving that passion that you have into the city, it would be an awesome place.

Ive been in bars in Chicago or Seattle where the threat of saying something bad about the Cubs or Bears or Mariners (even though they SUCK!!!!!) was likely to get you a shot in the eye in the rich part of town. DC has lost its love, identity and culture and I think everyone is pissed but it shows in different ways.
Agreed and it's cool Huh, didn't know Seattle was that competitive as well in their sports. I can only imagine what will happen to someone if they were to go somewhere in Boston, let's say Southie, and say something unfavorably about the Red Sox LOL

Last edited by tcave360; 08-18-2013 at 10:10 PM..

Old 08-18-2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I grew up in the NoVA/DC Area and live in CA now. I find DC people to generally be cold/aloof, materialistic, overly competitive, and not very friendly. I like the city itself and all of the architecture, museums, and history, but the people are just not my cup of tea. The people I knew growing up haven't really changed since childhood. Most people I went to high school with went away to college (mostly UVA, Va Tech, JMU, or GMU) moved back home with their parents for a few years, got jobs in NoVa/DC and now are married with kids living near where they grew up. Some of them live in DC proper, but most are back in FFX County. It's a pretty insular culture that I never really understood. I'm glad to have escaped to better weather, more scenery, and mellower people.
That's understandable but I do find Washingtonians and most of us Suburban Marylanders to be friendly. But then again, I'm mainly referring to the locals (Born & Raised) and since I've been living here in the metro area since birth, I know where to find that particular DC friendliness. Plus, I got a lot of close family members in The District as well. But either way, sorry things didn't work out for you in both DC and NOVA. Good luck with your relocation back home in the beautiful Golden State (Would love to visit Cali one day) and I wish you fun and eternal happiness

Last edited by tcave360; 08-18-2013 at 10:21 PM..

Old 08-18-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choccity View Post
Yayy!!!
LOL Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC