Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 09:22 AM

161 posts, read 395,032 times

Advertisements

I will be honest – I wasn’t too sure if I liked DC when I first moved here, but it really has grown on me a lot. The key thing I really dislike about the area is the traffic (yes, I have the misfortune of driving to work). While I have a reverse commute technically it still gets backed up and congested most of the time. Also, the cost of living is pretty high.

I was very unhappy at my first job (which is what I moved to DC for). My brain felt like it was rotting for the first year – I was really miserable. But once I changed jobs I was a lot more positive, and my opinion of DC definitely got better.

Also, if you are a creative type just starting out, DC is actually a good place to be in my opinion. I’ve met a lot of people who have 9-5 jobs but still pursue art/music, etc outside of work. So there is a small but welcoming creative community in DC that’s pretty nice that you probably can’t get in bigger cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 09:42 AM

27,571 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
I am under the assumption that those who speak negatively about this place have been chewed up in the job market and/or have had difficultly making friends. These are obviously personal qualms and should not interfere with people's perceptions of DC. I personally love this place and would move here after Seattle. What is your opinion about the constant complaining about this place?
It is the high cost of living. That is the bottom line and is what makes the difference. If you don't earn a high income/have a high net worth, then you're not going to enjoy living in the Washington, D.C. area.

If you do earn a high income/have a high net worth, then it's one of the best cities to live in America.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:19 AM

490 posts, read 649,967 times
What people don't like about DC.

Number 1 in the country for traffic
Number 1 in the country for terrible drivers
High COL
Crummy sports town

From my personal experience, I think the city lacks a true identity. There's no Philly Cheesesteak or Chicago Style Pizza for example. There's no real music scene (compared to New York or Seattle). Just for a couple examples.

I have found it difficult to meet people here. I gave it a shot, through various social clubs for example. But it's been tough, and I'm a normally very social person.

I dabbled into the Saturday night bar scene last week after a long absence, and was amazed how poor the girl/guy ratio was. Maybe it was just a bad night, but it seems like DC has become a sausagefest.

I came here with an open mind. I always thought it would be cool to start over somewhere new and find new ways to branch out. By the end of the first 6 months I was disappointed, and by the end of the year I was ready to give up. I was in NYC around Brooklyn last weekend and was amazed how much more I liked it than DC. I was just visiting, I had no expectations.

To be fair, DC does have some good things. The metro is a great way to get around the city. It's way easier getting around than most other mass transit systems I've been on. It's not as clean as Chicago, but it's has far less trash and graffiti than most major cities. It's a great place if you hate winter. If you want to rub elbows with the rich and the powerful, you're in the right place. I do enjoy all the museums and historical places. There is a lot of history here, if you want to pretend to be a tourist every weekend, you won't be short on things to do.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:55 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,215,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revitalizer View Post
And, the negative posters are definitely showing their true blood in this post. Interesting.

Coming from a person who's hometown is DC and one that has traveled and lived in many parts of the US and world, DC has a lot going for it. It's future is bright, negative nancies be darned.

I don't aspire to move to a "better" city and have never had that problem. I choose to be a part of a city who's future is bright and exciting - and this is DC.

DC will claim its place amongst the best of the best of world cities, and I'm happy to live my life as a DC native knowing in my heart that it will and can happen.

I found that sometimes people just hate to hate. It sounds like an unfortunate personal problem.
+2 This one two! Especially the one in bold! The problem isn't the city, it's your own personal problem. Don't like it, I-95 is JUST RIGHT THERE!

Old 08-06-2013, 12:05 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,576,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostopsy View Post
What people don't like about DC.

Number 1 in the country for traffic
Number 1 in the country for terrible drivers
High COL
Crummy sports town

From my personal experience, I think the city lacks a true identity. There's no Philly Cheesesteak or Chicago Style Pizza for example. There's no real music scene (compared to New York or Seattle). Just for a couple examples.
It's called the half-smoke. Also DC is the best place in the country to eat Ethiopian food.

No real music scene? Did you go to any of the Fort Reno shows this summer? Do you go to any of the local shows at the Rock and Roll Hotel, Iota, Velvet Lounge, etc. that take place every week?

Old 08-06-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
Capitol Hill Seattle is slightly bohemian, as well as the go to neighborhood for the majority of 20 of something's living in the area. I get the feeling that Capital Hill in DC is more upscale and caters to older professionals who are working in the political field. Quite a different ambience.
That should make sense. I've never been to Seattle before but I always here a lot of interesting things about their Capitol Hill. And the architecture and landscaping looks just as beautiful over there as it is in DC's Capitol Hill.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
There's no law that you have to like Washington, D.C.
Nor is there any law for you to dislike it. Neither is there any law for one to like any other city in this country.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
It's called the half-smoke. Also DC is the best place in the country to eat Ethiopian food.

No real music scene? Did you go to any of the Fort Reno shows this summer? Do you go to any of the local shows at the Rock and Roll Hotel, Iota, Velvet Lounge, etc. that take place every week?
This is my reaction when s/he said that DC didn't had a "real music scene":

Old 08-06-2013, 01:22 PM

999 posts, read 2,011,560 times
If a transplant praises DC then there must be good reasons.

1. The positive commentator comes from a rat-hole of a small city or town in the Midwest or South. His home town has industrial decay, few job prospects for college graduates, and not a whole lot of entertainment and fine dining options. Washington, DC seems like paradise compared to Akron, Ohio.

The transplants who come from prosperous and picturesque parts of the nation (i.e. California, Seattle-Tacoma, New York City, Boston, Hawaii, Phoenix/Tucson, Arizona, Colorado) have FEW or NO nice things to say about Washington, DC. They can't wait to get the F out of Dodge. I have yet to meet one Californian who says that he or she wants to plant roots here for the long haul. Maybe it's the humid, swampy weather. Maybe it's the culture. Who knows.

2. Career. Career. Career. If you wanted a career in Law, Politics or Journalism then you scored a touchdown here in the Nation's Capital. I generally find those who enjoy their careers in the legal, political and reporting fields will also enjoy making DC their home. This makes a lot of sense.

3. Diversity. Thirty years ago, DC was a predominately White and Black town--a typical Southern city where there were defined, segregated lines between the races. If you saw a Hispanic or Asian walking down K Street like 30 years ago, heads would be turning and staring. White and Black people would be like "Huh...what are you doing here?"

I am glad those days are gone. DC has attracted record numbers of Latinos, East Asians, South Asians, Africans as new residents, workers or business owners during the past couple of decades. So if you are a transplant from the Midwest or Deep South, DC is a huge upgrade for meeting people of different races and ethnic groups. Coming from Whitetopia, USA (Fly-over country) to super diverse DC must be a mind-blowing experience.

If you are coming from California or New York to DC then diversity is hardly noticeable. It's just like home.

In summary: The hicks from the Deep South and Midwest farm belt and the lost souls coming from hallowed-out Rust Belt cities sing praises of DC. Career climbers in the law, political or journalism fields are just more content and proud to call DC their home.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:49 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,939,231 times
- Irritating yuppies
- Terrible ghettoes
- Expensive
- Horrendous traffic
- Worst nightlife in America
- Generally unfriendly
- No arts or music scene or creative class

The disadvantages far outweigh the advantages unless you're a Type-A who lives to work and spend money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC