Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2007, 03:02 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,443,847 times

Advertisements

hi, i will be visiting the dc area for about 2 days in december,and i want to see as much as i can in those 2 days and take an assload of pictures, and i would just like to know where should i go beside the regular capitol and white house, etc.., what is there to see, are there any areas of dc where there are alot of pederstrians, some beatiful artchitecture, any hidden parts of the city most tourists dont know about?

thanks for all the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 05:50 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,736,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
hi, i will be visiting the dc area for about 2 days in december,and i want to see as much as i can in those 2 days and take an assload of pictures, and i would just like to know where should i go beside the regular capitol and white house, etc.., what is there to see, are there any areas of dc where there are alot of pederstrians, some beatiful artchitecture, any hidden parts of the city most tourists dont know about?

thanks for all the help.
There is so much to see and do.

Smithsonian Museums are awesome. if you plan ahead, the Spy Museum and the Holocaust museum are very good. There is the Museum of natural history to see the Hope Diamond.

Depending upon when in December, you can see the tree lighting ceremony at the White House.

Arlington National Cemetery is excellent if you are into history.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:09 PM

349 posts, read 1,431,327 times
There is plenty of beautiful architecture throughout Dupont and Logan Circle, Adams Morgan, Capitol Hill and Georgetown. All are full of pedestrians and have many unique, local stores and restaurants. A few great places that tourists rarely go are the National Building Museum (I think the inside of which is the most beautiful building in DC), Meridian Hill Park, the National Cathedral, and the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception. Actually most are listed in the tour guides, I've just rarely seen tourists at them. If you get a chance also check out Old Town Alexandria.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:11 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
I always wanted to spend more time at the Smithsonian. I heard they have a display there of all the first lady's inaugral ball dress. I heard you can spend a week just at the museum.

I enjoyed watching Congress when we were there, we saw several well known congressman as well.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:28 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,162,957 times
Go to Rock Creek Park. It's twice the size of Central Park and offers so much scenery for a park in a major city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC