Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2013, 02:04 PM

9 posts, read 12,174 times

Advertisements

Hello, All.

I've been reading the forum for the past few weeks and have finally decided to jump in to ask for input and advice. I'm a Missourian, planning to move to the D.C. before the end of 2013, preferably by December 1, so as not to be caught up in the holiday season. I'm somewhat familiar with D.C. and Maryland, from several short trips there during the past five years. "Familiar," as in I can find my way around the District, but I don't know the different neighborhoods. (While in college, 30-some years ago, I spent my summers in D.C. and during that time, we lived in S.W. Washington, where many out-of-town feds lived while on detail).

I'm a young 51 year-old black woman; post-graduate education; single, no kids, no pets. Middle-of-the-road politics (although I wouldn't let my politics necessarily determine where I reside); typical Midwestern values, meaning I'm friendly and want to live in an area where you at least know your neighbors and say "hello, how are you?" without being ignored.

I work for a company in McLean, VA; I currently telecommute. I'm moving from a house w/a large yard (which I'm tired of), so I want super-low-maintenance. I've decided that I'll probably rent for the first year. If there's an area of townhomes with a patch of green for a small flower garden, I'd love it. Otherwise, an apartment building/complex is fine. A balcony is good, but not a juliette balcony because that's just a teaser. (If I'm going to have a balcony, I want to be able to actually sit outside).

My apologies for the length, but here are my responses to the initial questions (in the sticky) to get the most useful input:

1. Do I need to be by a metro rail? Would I be okay if I were on a bus line? Either is fine, but I think riding the metro rail would be "fun" (since we don't have that benefit here in Missouri!), but I have a car. Importantly, I can telecommute probably up to about 50% of the time, so it's not a deal breaker.

2. How long of a commute to work am I willing to have? Would I be okay driving? Taking the commuter rail? (where will I be working?) When I drive to the office in McLean, I really don't want to spend an hour on the road, but again, it's not a deal breaker, given my flexibility.

3. Would I be willing to live with a roommate or multiple roommates? No. I like my privacy and enjoy solitude.

4. What amenities do I absolutely need in an apartment -- pets? gym? a/c? washer/dryer? I don't have pets and, frankly, would prefer some place that doesn't allow pets. A gym would be great; an indoor pool would be fantastic. Space for a washer/dryer would be nice because I have my own, but if W/D are included, that's just less stuff I have to transport. Also, I'd like a garage.

5. What is the absolute maximum, with utilities and any fees, I can afford? Probably around $2,100 (maybe $2,500 including utilities?). If I could get something less than that, even better, provided it's in a good area. I'm unsure what utility costs are like in D.C. (I spend about $400 monthly for electric/gas/water for my three-bedroom home).

6. What is my definition of safe? I do a lot of things alone and I'm not the fearful type. That said, I like multicultural city living and would love to be in close proximity to theater, museums, restaurants, parks, etc. A wine bar/lounge, neighborhood dive would be swell! A secured entrance and attendant would be great, but the latter isn't a requirement.

7. How important is nightlife? family community? schools? See above re nightlife - it's important and ranks about 6 to 8 on a scale of 10 most desirable amenities. Schools - unimportant; I don't have kids. If I had my druthers, I'd prefer a community that doesn't have kids nor those playgrounds where kids are running, yelling, etc. A golf course within short driving distance would be good. Also, I see there's a fencing club in MD, but maybe there's one in DC? I just started classes here, so I'd like to continue this.

Thanks so much for your time in reading this lengthy post. I appreciate your time in responding.

Sincerely,
Debra
(Also, since I'm single, it would be wonderful if I could find an area where I could meet someone to potentially date and have a relationship with. I've read many of the posts about D.C. dating, but not ready to delve into that can of worms before I find a place to live!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 10:39 AM

52 posts, read 121,733 times
Hi Debra

First of all, not sure if you are aware but there is no metro connection to Mclean. There will be one in the next few years but even then, driving will be essential. The real question is whether you want to live in DC or not, because if you do, then you will have to deal with traffic.
Based on your budget and wanting to be on the metro for weekend outings etc, I would suggest Dupont Circle/U-Street Corridor, or U-Street in general. They are lively areas with restaurants, theaters and bars.

Areas also to consider but less lively would be Woodley park, Cleveland Park (they are more white) but extremely safe and easier for getting out of the city, also closer to MD for your fencing classes.

I am not the biggest fan of CApitol Hill, but other posters may disagree with me. They have cool houses overthere, but getting out of the city for work will be a huge pain.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:08 AM

2,504 posts, read 3,544,526 times
The Metro will begin running to Tysons Corner (where most "McLean" businesses are really located) in January, more like "the next few months" than "the next few years."

I'd go a different route and suggest a high-rise apartment in a much quieter neighborhood. That way, you'll have zero maintenance, pool & gym & doorman & indoor parking (and sometimes utilities) included, generally good locations. Ballston, Rosslyn, & Crystal City/Pentagon City would be options in Arlington, but they're kind of white-bread by our standards*: Crystal City is even nicknamed "Little Provo." You might find something in Alexandria that's to your liking, but it's just a bit further to both DC & McLean.

In the city, I'd look at Foggy Bottom or Southwest Waterfront: lots of big high-rise complexes with on-site amenities, walk to theaters and museums and essential shops, close to the highways & Metro lines that head to McLean, not many kids, both quiet areas that go to bed at a reasonable hour. In Foggy Bottom, you'll have to watch out for buildings with lots of GW students. Upper Northwest or Bethesda are similar, but the commute to Virginia would be awful, and yes, they're whiter.

Dupont and U Street have higher prices, fewer on-site amenities, and frankly I (in my 30s) feel too old to go out around there sometimes.

* Certainly not by KC standards, though.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:57 PM

Thank you so much for your reply, tatare! I appreciate your time and insight.

I didn't know there wasn't Metro to McLean, so that's very helpful. I don't mind driving though, because I really do want to live in D.C. With the names that you gave for specific areas to explore, I'll now know how they rank in terms of my desirables. This is good so I'm not just researching blindly. I'm going to research the areas you mentioned (in the same order) with an eye towards budget and amenities. Again, thanks so much for your time and tips!

Old 09-17-2013, 08:32 PM

52 posts, read 121,733 times
To Paytonc,

Tyson's corner is pretty big and depending on where her business is, it still won't be metro accessible. I can almost guarantee that the metro will work just like it does for most of the stops outside of the city, as a place where to drop of your car and get on.

Also, Southwest Waterfront and Foggy Bottom are dead at night. Without baseball season, no one goes to the Southwest Waterfront and Foggy Bottom is filled with undergrads. The areas i suggested, especially U STreet Corridor are amazing and there is life around you.

Debratante, feel free to IM me if you have any questions.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:41 PM

paytonc, thank you for another perspective. It's great to get different options I can explore. I'm familiar with S.W., specifically Waterside Towers. But it was 30+ years ago when I lived in that high-rise. I'm sure it's changed although its website has decent pictures. The only thing I know about Pentagon City is the mall, however, so I'll also check out your suggestions. Thanks much for your time in replying!

Old 09-17-2013, 10:56 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,544,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatare View Post
Tyson's corner is pretty big and depending on where her business is, it still won't be metro accessible. I can almost guarantee that the metro will work just like it does for most of the stops outside of the city, as a place where to drop of your car and get on.

Also, Southwest Waterfront and Foggy Bottom are dead at night.
You're wrong again about the Silver Line: Tysons Corner will have four Metro stations, none of which will have any parking (beyond a temporary, privately run lot proposed at the easternmost station). Of all the offices within Tysons, almost all will be within a 15 minute walk (=3/4 mile) from a Metro station; key exceptions are Gannett and the federal intelligence services. There are still large parts of McLean that will be far from Metro, like downtown McLean, but the lion's share of offices in "McLean" are within Tysons, and within walking distance of Metro and/or shuttle buses going to Metro.

Route 423 by fairfaxcounty, on Flickr

Yes, Waterfront and Foggy Bottom are dead at night, but both are within walking distance of livelier areas, and both have basics like groceries and some restaurants & bars. OP says that nightlife "ranks about 6 to 8 on a scale of 10 most desirable amenities," not 10 out of 10. These are the densest, busiest parts of town, and I really enjoy going there for a night out, but they're not for everyone.

The OP also values recreational amenities like swimming, golf, and an indoor pool, wants both parking and relatively quick highway access, and doesn't like kids yelling. (How about young adults yelling?) Not only do Dupont and U Street offer mostly smaller buildings without as many amenities*, but she'll have to drive through Foggy Bottom (and downtown! not fun!) to get to Virginia or the East Potomac golf course or the Kennedy Center.

* A quick search on Apartment Showcase turns up nothing in Dupont or U Street (ZIPs 20036, 20009) with a pool, at any price. They advertise 1BRs along U for $2200, no pool, no gym, no balcony, no parking. That's a steep location premium just to be within stumbling distance to nightlife.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:33 PM

230 posts, read 859,952 times
Yet another vote for SW Waterfront. Yes, it's not the liveliest neighborhood, but I found it to be very friendly and relatively safe. You'd be near East Potomac Golf course, the Mall, Capitol Hill, and two Metro stations (Waterfront and Federal Center SW). It's also pretty easy to get on the GW Parkway and drive to McLean. I've only taken that trip once during a weekday, and it wasn't too horrible a drive--maybe 30-35 minutes. If you have the flexibility to start your work day earlier or later, you can probably avoid rush hour traffic.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:11 AM

Thank you for your input, Carrot2000! With all the great comments, I have a lot of research to do! And even more running around looking and viewing places during my upcoming visit.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:06 AM

230 posts, read 859,952 times
I think you'll enjoy living in SW--there's nothing like watching 4th of July fireworks from your balcony, or walking down to the Smithsonian on a nice day. I often remarked that the neighborhood didn't "feel" like DC because everyone was so friendly, and many of my neighbors agreed with me. Good luck with your search! Southwest...The Little Quadrant That Could
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC