Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2015, 09:51 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,420,416 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have a friend who has been with several record labels (he's awesome) and he wanted to check out the new house playing trend. I thought DC would be perfect since there is always some political party and he is well known in his genre.
Does anyone know who to coordinate these events with?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 07:15 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,754,213 times
First, who is your friend.

Second, prove it.

Third, don't **** around.

Fourth, I think House party is a great idea.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokivos View Post
First, who is your friend.

Second, prove it.

Third, don't **** around.

Fourth, I think House party is a great idea.
I sent a private message.
Matt Keating

Old 05-31-2015, 05:34 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,971,723 times
House playing trend, record label, political party...

Don't know if you are drinking when posting this but it doesn't make sense. What does political affiliation have to do with the trend of a music genre?

Old 05-31-2015, 09:12 AM

I'm certainly not drinking.A new trend in the music industry is for people who have an established track record but are not signed to major record labels like (Beyonce, Usher, One Direction) are often overlooked. They find other ways to make a living and playing "house parties" is one of the ways they try to make a living. I mention political parties because DC is pretty well known to be a political city and I'm sure many people like to drink and listen to music while they are at the parties.
There are many artists that may be interested in participating in such "gigs"...I mention one that I know who does them.
This seems to be a difficult threat so perhaps the moderator in red should cut per my request. CD doesn't have the same caliber of people as it used to have, or people who have been around a few years need to check their manners.
Simple question and you had nothing to add so you should move along.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbad View Post
This seems to be a difficult threat so perhaps the moderator in red should cut per my request. CD doesn't have the same caliber of people as it used to have, or people who have been around a few years need to check their manners.
Simple question and you had nothing to add so you should move along.
Well, I apologize. I really didn't mean to come off as insulting. Again, my apologies.

And to not further insult you, your post still doesn't make sense. I am not making fun of you or maybe it is perhaps that English isn't your first language. Again, not trying to insult you.

Rather than asking you questions, let me clarify some of your post then we can go from there.

When you mentioned "record label" and "house party", especially with electronic music so popular today, I am not sure if you are talking about the genre of music or private residential parties.

Normally the term "trend" is usually assigned to a new style, fad, mode, not a person. What you are referring to is an "up and comer", not a new trend. Up and comers that are looking to get into the industry or signed will not concentrate on private residential parties for max exposure. Instead, they will look for clubs and lounges or other venues with other established local artists to help them get their way. They may take a few private events as favors or for money- not their main stay. A vocalist may do some private events as "appearances" during the course of the event.

Here in DC, house music and political doesn't mix. They tried and the club eventually closed- LIMA. They tried to do techno but the clientele wore suits and ties but left shortly after 1AM. It's like mixing oil and vinegar. Yes, some people in politics may like house music but it is not their main thing- it is not to party until 4AM to underground techno or house.

So, as you can see, your post was way off with incorrect wording and very confusing and which is why I came at you as such but wasn't trying to insult you.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
Well, I apologize. I really didn't mean to come off as insulting. Again, my apologies.

And to not further insult you, your post still doesn't make sense. I am not making fun of you or maybe it is perhaps that English isn't your first language. Again, not trying to insult you.

Rather than asking you questions, let me clarify some of your post then we can go from there.

When you mentioned "record label" and "house party", especially with electronic music so popular today, I am not sure if you are talking about the genre of music or private residential parties.

Normally the term "trend" is usually assigned to a new style, fad, mode, not a person. What you are referring to is an "up and comer", not a new trend. Up and comers that are looking to get into the industry or signed will not concentrate on private residential parties for max exposure. Instead, they will look for clubs and lounges or other venues with other established local artists to help them get their way. They may take a few private events as favors or for money- not their main stay. A vocalist may do some private events as "appearances" during the course of the event.

Here in DC, house music and political doesn't mix. They tried and the club eventually closed- LIMA. They tried to do techno but the clientele wore suits and ties but left shortly after 1AM. It's like mixing oil and vinegar. Yes, some people in politics may like house music but it is not their main thing- it is not to party until 4AM to underground techno or house.

So, as you can see, your post was way off with incorrect wording and very confusing and which is why I came at you as such but wasn't trying to insult you.
English is my first language! I have a graduate degree. Most likely you and I have an age gap. There is a trend for musicians that used to do well and it is to play at individuals' actual private parties. I was taking it up a notch by asking about political events that want a known musician for background music...not loud and obnoxious either.
I think of house music as clubbing/techno/trance and those terms are probably quite dated. After reading your post I think you are right I was quick to post a question without explaining it. I did get my answer there is no one setting this new trend up in the area. Maybe I will do so.
Thank you!

Old 06-01-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
English is my first language! I have a graduate degree. Most likely you and I have an age gap. There is a trend for musicians that used to do well and it is to play at individuals' actual private parties. I was taking it up a notch by asking about political events that want a known musician for background music...not loud and obnoxious either.
I think of house music as clubbing/techno/trance and those terms are probably quite dated. After reading your post I think you are right I was quick to post a question without explaining it. I did get my answer there is no one setting this new trend up in the area. Maybe I will do so.
Thank you!
Fair enough. It sounds interesting. Keep us updated on how you are doing.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
Fair enough. It sounds interesting. Keep us updated on how you are doing.
Will do!

Old 06-05-2015, 07:00 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,754,213 times
Quote:
I sent a private message.
Matt Keating
I didn't get one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC