Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 02:22 PM

6 posts, read 20,054 times

Advertisements

Hoping you can all help...currently live in Milwaukee and am hoping to relocate soon. My heart was set on San Francisco as I love the city....change of plans though and am now focused on DC. What do you love about being there? Because I was set on moving out west, I am looking for great reasons to be in DC....help! I really like the area and have a small network of friends there which is good. Also, I love how you get a true 'city feel' in DC which in my opinion you don't find in a lot of places. So, please convince me that DC is truly a great place to be! Thanks for you help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 02:46 PM

49 posts, read 179,575 times
Hi. I love living in DC. My husband and I have been living on the Hill for three years and love the livable city life that DC offers. Unlike NYC where you have to rent and live in a tiny apt you CAN buy something here (yes its expensive but not DC, San Fran expensive) and you can live in more than a condo. We own a small three story row house for example. I love that it has tons to do, good and ever better restaurants and public transporation yet I don't feel closed in here - plenty of trees and parks and green spaces and you can escape the city in just a few minutes. Also its location is great for weekend escapes - we love to go to WVA and ski, to the mountains by Lexington, the Del beaches, NYC by train etc. The weather is mild year round too which is nice - gets hot in the summer but no worse than any where from here south if you ask me. We don't have central AC in our home and we are just fine wtih a window unit. My only wish is that i worked downtown instead of in the 'burbs.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:50 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,809,578 times
Ummm....there is nothing to be said that can convince you besides the fact that Milwaukee is not on the same level as DC. Perhaps Kanye West can do a good job --Welcome to the good life!!!

Old 11-28-2007, 07:25 AM

265 posts, read 1,063,949 times
I am not a big fan of DC (it's not a good fit for me), but I will say in its favor that it is a very international city, there are a lot of cultural events (including many that are free), there's good public transit (although the traffic situation is mostly a nightmare) and it can be a good place to get job experience, e.g., in non-profit organizations, the government (of course), the type of services that support them, law, and the media.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:40 AM

382 posts, read 1,531,563 times
San Francisco and DC have nothing in common. DC weather is awful - damp winters and unbearable summers. DC is stuffy and cliquish. Reconsider.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:39 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,164,034 times
DC is a great place that has its own vibe. If you enjoy diversity, museums, culture, nightlife, parks, employment opportunities, great transit, and a smart and educated workforce, you'll love DC. People from the outside looking in will never get DC. Some people think its too repuplican, others think its too liberal or elitist. The city is what you make it. Just walking in the city, looking at all the monuments, museums and embassies, you get a sense of power and freedom that no other city can provide. And then you thank god for being here because you could be stuck in a corn field in Iowa.

BTW - DC is one of the most liberal cities in the country voting 97% democrat.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:27 PM

6 posts, read 20,054 times
Thank you all of you for you great responses...I really appreciate it! I think more than ever that DC will be my next stop!

Old 11-28-2007, 08:53 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,737,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
DC is a great place that has its own vibe. If you enjoy diversity, museums, culture, nightlife, parks, employment opportunities, great transit, and a smart and educated workforce, you'll love DC.
I echo the same advantages. It is the hub for many airlines with 3 airports on the East coast so you can go just about anywhere (Dulles, BWI, Reagan). You are not too far from other cities such as Philadelphia, Baltimore and NYC.

There is a diversity of restaurants and cultural events.

You cannot get bored. There's a new tenant in the Big White House every 4-8 years.

There is Rock Creek Park that cuts through the city with extensive biking and walking trails.

Skiing is not great on the East Coast as it is in the West. You are as short as less than an hour away (Liberty Mountain in PA).

People are very ambitious (type A) but likeable.

Man, I miss DC!

Old 11-29-2007, 08:26 AM

142 posts, read 538,307 times
I live in DC and have lived in San Francisco. Also, like you I'm originally from the Midwest. Personally, I loathe this place. When I lived in SF, everyday as I drove across the Bay, I had to gasp for breath because I was just so damn excited to be there. I loved everything about the place. The only downside was the cost of living. Everyday, I think about how much I hate it here but I'm stuck because my husband works for the government. You have the same cost of living without the beauty of SF. The people here are beyond obnoxious--megalomaniacal, pretentious, artificial, and rude! Don't come here for a job like I did. Also, don't listen to people who say its cheaper than SF. If it is, its certainly not noticeable to anyone who makes less than 200K. Besides, its not worth it!

I just remembered that I was once in your position. I was living overseas and trying to decide where to go upon my return. I wanted to go to San Francisco but i had a cushy job offer in DC. I had interned in DC when I was in college and didn't like it then. However, I was scared to move back to the Bay Area without a job lined up. I can't say I completely regret it because I never would have met my husband had I not moved here but I fantasize almost everyday about getting out of this cesspool.

Sorry to rant but I've been wanting to do that for about 2 1/2 years. You have a small network here which could make all the difference in the world. If I could get some of my friends to move here, I would be infinitely happier. So, disregard my tirade. I just saved a lot of money on therapy. Good luck!

Old 11-29-2007, 09:21 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,587,191 times
There are only 3 negative things about DC that I can think of:

1. Southeast DC is a ghetto
2. Traffic
3. The summers are hot and humid.

Stay out of SE DC and live near a metro stop and problems 1 & 2 are solved. Stay indoors during the summer if you hate humidity. Problem 3 taken care of.

Either than that, DC is a great city to live and work. Great people, if you like very type "A" folks, educated, well-travelled, well-read, ambitious, political junkies. Great transportation system. Everything you need is metro stop away. And the best part....FREE museums!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC