Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2013, 07:54 PM

269 posts, read 247,780 times

Advertisements

Hi, I've been a fan of renting in Crystal City, but realize this may not be the best choice in terms of distance/commute for work in Greenbelt. I'm hoping someone can tell me comparable areas perhaps closer to Greenbelt. It seems to me that living in Prince Georges County would be a little boring. I always liked Crystal City because it feels very safe, seems to have a decent selection of restaurants, stores, gyms, and is close to the capital area, museums, etc. I'd be moving there alone, family may join but not for at least a year, so I'd be renting. Budget is up to $1800 month and could be a studio or 1 BR. Safety, neighborhood, walk to metro access are my priorities. Thank you....I've read through these boards, but haven't found anything and I'm very confused about DC neighborhoods/Maryland/DC Metro neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 09:29 PM

69 posts, read 113,178 times
Do you work at Goddard? I lived in PG country for 5 years ever since i moved from NYC. Reason was, easy commute and cheap rent. If you planning to move to DC, look into the Navy Yard or waterfront area. I moved to waterfront during the summer of 2012 and never looked back. The commute to work is fantastic, straight highway against traffic with a average commute time of 18mins door to door. If my car is ever in the shop, the greenline is right there.

Waterfront is a established community with a nice supermarket and is close by the Smithsonian, arena stage and fish market.
Navy Yard is a newly developed area with modern luxurious apartments. The area has a couple a bars along with a brand new brewery that opened up three weeks ago, 25 different beers on tap. A new Italian restaurant just opened last Tuesday but i haven't gave that a try yet.

Give these two areas a look before you decided.
Both areas a relatively safe and 1800 can net you a 1br or studio in these areas.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:22 AM

269 posts, read 247,780 times
Thanks for the great info. I think you hit the nail on the head as far as the type of neighborhood that I'm visioning myself living in. Since reading your post, I've looked more into the waterfront and the Navy Yard and I think either would be perfect. Initially, I'd thought I'd use the metro on a daily basis, but auto is more realistic and likely convenient since (as you point out) it's against traffic and a fairly short commute. I've lived in Miami for 20 years and am looking to get to a more cultural and diverse US city. I've visited DC a lot and always liked the museums, parks, history, and diversity of DC. The job is a support role at Goddard. Now I work for the military. Thanks again for your post.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:19 PM

2 posts, read 1,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richzimme View Post
Hi, I've been a fan of renting in Crystal City, but realize this may not be the best choice in terms of distance/commute for work in Greenbelt. I'm hoping someone can tell me comparable areas perhaps closer to Greenbelt. It seems to me that living in Prince Georges County would be a little boring. I always liked Crystal City because it feels very safe, seems to have a decent selection of restaurants, stores, gyms, and is close to the capital area, museums, etc. I'd be moving there alone, family may join but not for at least a year, so I'd be renting. Budget is up to $1800 month and could be a studio or 1 BR. Safety, neighborhood, walk to metro access are my priorities. Thank you....I've read through these boards, but haven't found anything and I'm very confused about DC neighborhoods/Maryland/DC Metro neighborhoods.
I don't think this drive will take any longer than a half hour to 45 minutes most days. By the time you get on 695, you're reverse commuting. Even up to then it's just two or three miles from CC. Am I missing something that the others are aware of??

Old 02-13-2014, 07:38 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,545,587 times
Navy Yard perhaps fits the bill, especially once the Harris-Teeter and Vida at 1212 open. You should also take a look at NoMa -- pricier, but closer to the trendy neighborhoods in NW -- and take a look at downtown Hyattsville within Maryland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC