Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2010, 04:51 PM

58 posts, read 175,662 times

Advertisements

I’ll be graduating college at the end of this year, and I might have a job set for me in D.C., specifically in DuPont Circle. I haven’t been doing much research on the area yet, and so would just like to ask all of you for some general ideas and suggestions.

I definitely will want to rent an apartment, and shouldn’t need more than a studio or one bedroom. I would like to live as close to my job in DuPont Circle as possible, although it looks like that area is pretty expensive. I’d like to have an average rent of about $1000 a month, though I could probably work out up to $1200-$1300 if the neighborhood I’m living in is walkable, and so allows me to get by without a car (and all the expenses that come with an automobile).

I’m young and single, so I will want to live in an area where I could easily meet people my own age (20s). I’ve lived my entire life in a working-class, mostly suburban neighborhood of Connecticut, so that is what I’m used to (New Britain/Plainville specifically if anyone is familiar with CT). Obviously I don’t want to live in a so-called “warzone,” with a lot of violent crimes, but at the same time I’m not expecting to live in Mayberry. Also, how are the taxes and overall cost of living for D.C. (compared to let's say Hartford, CT)?

So I would appreciate any suggestions for neighborhoods in D.C. as close as possible to DuPont Circle, or at least to a Metro Line. I am also open to living in a MD or VA suburb if one fits what I’m looking for (though in that case I would probably keep my car).

Thank you for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 05:00 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,558,384 times
Walkable, non-war zone for young single person like yourself would mean NW DC and Arlington (actually, you'd need to take metro or ride a bike from Arlington). Capitol Hill area might also work (again, metro or bike). You say you are used to living in a working class type neighborhood, but you don't want to live in a high crime area, doubtful you would find that w/in walking/non-car distance to your work. You will have to get used to being around folks who are very proud of their university degrees and other accomplishments. If you seek working class, Dumfries, Manassas, and Dale City come to mind -- but you would definitely need a car.

I wish you all the best.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:50 PM

6,751 posts, read 6,766,383 times
do what most young people your age do when they come to DC to save $ - group house

look on Craigslist for "rooms to share", saves you from having to live in the 'hood or 30 miles out of town
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC