Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 10:34 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,456,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
I have been wanting to post this question to see what kind of answers we get.. I have lived in DC for just over a year and overall I have been impressed with the Metro sysem, I ditched my car before I moved to DC and have never had any issues getting around without a car, in fact, I enjoy using public transportation and I feel that it also contributes to a healthier lifestyle by forcing you to walk around instead of sitting stationary inside a car, you also do not have to deal with the traffic, road rage, and all the fees (parking) that come with driving in DC.. This leads me to my question:

Why do people drive into DC? Why do people even own cars in DC? The most ironic aspect is that the same people that decide to drive into DC (instead of taking Metro) complain about parking and how much of a hassle it is to drive.. Why dont you just take the Metro?
Public transportation is not everything. If you life a minimalist lifestyle and only go out to get what you need, when you need it, public transportation is great. If you have to haul kids, groceries, furniture, bedding, etc. you need that vehicle, unless you are willing to pay through the nose.

Even in cities like New York there are areas that are under-served by public transportation. Take a cab or walk to take a bus, to take a train, etc. Nearest stop is a mile away, etc. In most cities, the downtown areas, or in NYC this would be Manhattan, have great public transit, and the outer areas, particularly impoverished areas, have sketchy public transportation. Maybe it does not run as often. Maybe it stops running after a certain time, etc. As great as DC is, you can drive into it without paying expensive tolls and still find affordable parking. That cannot be said for cities like NYC.

I still drive into the city, and I would if I lived there. But I would use the train to get around the city throughout the day. I do not see myself taking the Amtrak into the city from here, though that is an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 10:52 AM

76 posts, read 180,811 times
I bought a car in June for the first time in my life. I'm 30, no kids, been living in the DC area off-and-on for the last 10.5 years (4.5 years this stint). I realized that street parking isn't too bad in my neighborhood, and that insurance is significantly less than I had imagined, so I went for it. The car is definitely nice to have, I can't deny that. But it's hardly a necessity. I mostly use it to make my Target and dry cleaning runs easier. My wife has lots of friends in the 'burbs, so she likes the convenience there. I'm in Philly a lot for family reasons, and the car saves me some time vs the Greyhound/Megabus, so that's nice, too. But it's not like the car is opening up a whole new world to me, or anything like that. Essentially, the money I'm spending on my car is buying me some more time. I'm in a position where I'm willing to trade a little money for some more time, so it's a good deal for me.

Before having my own car, I'd rent 1-2 times per month. Hotwire and Priceline usually have some really good rental deals from DCA. If you don't have a license and/or can't rent from time to time, then yea, you're probably missing out on some things. And if you've been around the area for a while and/or have a social base that's really spread out, then you're also probably missing out. But as the District itself regains its status as the true hub of the region, I think cars will become less necessary. Unless you have kids...can't imagine going car-free as a parent!

Old 02-02-2014, 11:37 AM

458 posts, read 645,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Public transportation is not everything. If you life a minimalist lifestyle and only go out to get what you need, when you need it, public transportation is great. If you have to haul kids, groceries, furniture, bedding, etc. you need that vehicle, unless you are willing to pay through the nose.

Even in cities like New York there are areas that are under-served by public transportation. Take a cab or walk to take a bus, to take a train, etc. Nearest stop is a mile away, etc. In most cities, the downtown areas, or in NYC this would be Manhattan, have great public transit, and the outer areas, particularly impoverished areas, have sketchy public transportation. Maybe it does not run as often. Maybe it stops running after a certain time, etc. As great as DC is, you can drive into it without paying expensive tolls and still find affordable parking. That cannot be said for cities like NYC.

I still drive into the city, and I would if I lived there. But I would use the train to get around the city throughout the day. I do not see myself taking the Amtrak into the city from here, though that is an option.
People need to STOP comparing DC to NYC
These comparisons are a joke! DC is midget sized city in comparison to the scale of NYC

NYC is a 24-hour city
DC is NOT

In DC the town practically shuts down after 9pm
In NYC the town is alive until 4am

NYC has a thriving night life culture
DC does not

NYC is a city built for entertainment
DC is not

I can keep going with this list, but NYC & DC are polar opposites.
DC is more comparable to Philly or Richmond.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:26 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,092,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangemanGary View Post
I bought a car in June for the first time in my life. I'm 30, no kids, been living in the DC area off-and-on for the last 10.5 years (4.5 years this stint). I realized that street parking isn't too bad in my neighborhood, and that insurance is significantly less than I had imagined, so I went for it. The car is definitely nice to have, I can't deny that. But it's hardly a necessity. I mostly use it to make my Target and dry cleaning runs easier. My wife has lots of friends in the 'burbs, so she likes the convenience there. I'm in Philly a lot for family reasons, and the car saves me some time vs the Greyhound/Megabus, so that's nice, too. But it's not like the car is opening up a whole new world to me, or anything like that. Essentially, the money I'm spending on my car is buying me some more time. I'm in a position where I'm willing to trade a little money for some more time, so it's a good deal for me.

Before having my own car, I'd rent 1-2 times per month. Hotwire and Priceline usually have some really good rental deals from DCA. If you don't have a license and/or can't rent from time to time, then yea, you're probably missing out on some things. And if you've been around the area for a while and/or have a social base that's really spread out, then you're also probably missing out. But as the District itself regains its status as the true hub of the region, I think cars will become less necessary. Unless you have kids...can't imagine going car-free as a parent!
The thing is that DC is just one hub in this region now, and that isn't going to change any time soon, regardless of whether DC continues to add population. That ship has already sailed. You can live in DC and rent cars occasionally and have a happy life, but you won't have ready access to much of what this region has to offer. The same thing could also be said if you lived in Alexandria, Silver Spring, Reston and several other parts of the area.

Old 02-02-2014, 04:18 PM

2 posts, read 7,279 times
One word..Freedom. I think it's quite restricting to depend only on public transportation.

A few reasons:

-The metro system does have problems and it's notoriously slow on the weekend
- If you want to rent or buy a home, not needing a metro makes it significantly cheaper
- It limits your venue options..Not all places are metro accessible..
- I personally don't like to walk to metro when it's blistering cold outside.
- Taking metro to go out on a date just doesn't work.. Trust me

With that said, I don't commute INTO DC..I use my car mostly to travel throughout MD

Old 02-02-2014, 05:02 PM

59 posts, read 90,906 times
I have lived in the DC area for 30 years.

Metro still costs more and takes longer than driving and paying for a parking garage.

Old 02-02-2014, 05:17 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Personally, I drive to the city so my 1.5 hour commute isn't 2+ hours, which it would be if I took public transit.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:44 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,960,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSloan View Post
People need to STOP comparing DC to NYC
These comparisons are a joke! DC is midget sized city in comparison to the scale of NYC

NYC is a 24-hour city
DC is NOT

In DC the town practically shuts down after 9pm
In NYC the town is alive until 4am

NYC has a thriving night life culture
DC does not

NYC is a city built for entertainment
DC is not

I can keep going with this list, but NYC & DC are polar opposites.
DC is more comparable to Philly or Richmond.
DC is more comparable to Boston than Philly or Richmond. Nice try though.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:15 AM

22 posts, read 22,725 times
This is not NYC, plenty parts of the city do not have subway access and not everyone likes taking buses. Plus car will be king in DC for years to come.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:22 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,995,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
The thing is that DC is just one hub in this region now, and that isn't going to change any time soon, regardless of whether DC continues to add population. That ship has already sailed. You can live in DC and rent cars occasionally and have a happy life, but you won't have ready access to much of what this region has to offer. The same thing could also be said if you lived in Alexandria, Silver Spring, Reston and several other parts of the area.
Nonsense, zipcar, cars2go, or even Avis/Hertz provide options for when public transportation isn't the best choice.

Last edited by DCforever; 02-03-2014 at 07:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC