Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 04:57 AM

76 posts, read 180,857 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are interracial. Once, just for fun, we counted the other interracial couples we personally know either as friends or as minor acquaintances. We counted more than 20 living in the DC area. As far as I know, none have really had many/any problems.

This board, though, LOVES to talk about race. And not without reason. But to me, racial issues are more underlying issues in the city, rather than surface issues. Meaning that many people are able to live their lives without even considering race. Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing...I'm not going to get into that.

Last edited by OrangemanGary; 07-08-2014 at 05:04 AM.. Reason: Grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 08:00 AM

27,582 posts, read 28,693,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
But let's get something clear, DC and its immediate suburbs are extremely segregated and divided. As a mixed race person myself who embraces being mixed race and doesn't choose one or the other, I couldn't imagine what kind of hell growing up in the DC area would be like for a person mixed race. DC is so segregated, you can cut DC down the center to divide white DC and black DC. The racism in DC is not openly vocalized like it is in other cities. Rather, silent structural racism and segregation in DC is the unspoken status quo that is never, ever challenged. But the racism and segregation is very real.
White/black racial segregation?? In America?????

My good man, you don't say!

Old 07-08-2014, 05:41 PM

339 posts, read 837,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaSun1 View Post
Why is that it seems that it's always black males who want cities to embrace IR dating? They are always the most vocal about it.
Here's a clue......

Old 07-09-2014, 10:16 AM

1,261 posts, read 695,414 times
The entire USA is obbsessed with race....

Old 07-09-2014, 12:44 PM

103 posts, read 117,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh8 View Post
Here's a clue......

From what I've seen with my own eyes living in the area from 2000-2013, Black women in metro DC are FAR more likely to have commonalities with Michelle Obama than the racial caricature you posted. But then I'm a Georgetown Alumna, so perhaps my perceptions are skewed in the direction of class and dignity.

BTW, does honey boo boo's folks properly represent non minority women in metro DC too? Or just you?

Old 07-09-2014, 02:46 PM

465 posts, read 658,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartpinkrose View Post
from what i've seen with my own eyes living in the area from 2000-2013, black women in metro dc are far more likely to have commonalities with michelle obama than the racial caricature you posted. But then i'm a georgetown alumna, so perhaps my perceptions are skewed in the direction of class and dignity.

Btw, does honey boo boo's folks properly represent non minority women in metro dc too? Or just you?

lmao....

Old 07-10-2014, 12:47 PM

95 posts, read 163,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
In neighborhoods going through gentrification their is some tension because rents are rising and some long term residents are getting priced out of the market. That's economic tension, not racial tension. Sometimes it gets mischaracterized.

Could not have said it any better.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:09 PM

580 posts, read 777,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartPinkRose View Post
From what I've seen with my own eyes living in the area from 2000-2013, Black women in metro DC are FAR more likely to have commonalities with Michelle Obama than the racial caricature you posted. But then I'm a Georgetown Alumna, so perhaps my perceptions are skewed in the direction of class and dignity.

BTW, does honey boo boo's folks properly represent non minority women in metro DC too? Or just you?
More of a class thing than a race thing. Honey boo boo and her family, unfortunately, are probably richer than either of us.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:40 PM

158 posts, read 216,805 times
I have caused near riots in Baltimore when I and my former hot model black girl friend would visit. Whats even more sad was was when I took my beautiful Indian GF at the time to Ocean city and got the same reaction because locals thought she was AA.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:41 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,138,171 times
DC is gentrifying at a very rapid pace. White people coming and black people being forced out naturally means that there will be racial tensions.....especially in a city that has been majority black for decades and black people are struggling to keep their footing here. Factor in the fact that DC has in its past had a well-known reputation for being the murder capital and a haven for druggies means that people will naturally question where the best place to live is with the best schools. That generally is NOT the areas where crime is high....and crime is high in most of DC's black neighborhoods....therefore the natural inclination is to avoid those areas.

There's no way to avoid race if you're pondering a move to DC. That's the cold hard reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC