Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 04:19 PM

549 posts, read 625,776 times

Advertisements

Compared to other cities you've lived in, what is the dating scene like in Washington DC for young, single, college-educated professionals?

Is there more or less promiscuity in DC compared to other places? Is there a "hook-up" culture or is it more conservative, reserved, buttoned-up atmosphere when it comes to mingling with the opposite sex, flirting, dating etc?

What is your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 05:32 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,001,365 times
This one is really difficult to answer; I'm probably the wrong person to even try although I was single in DC at that age. I guess you find what you are looking for. There are the people who want to actually date - and go to Wolf Trap, Kennedy Center, restaurants, etc. And then there are people who are looking to "hook up". It's all there. Maybe it's an age thing; maybe a neighborhood thing; maybe it's a matter of where you want to go on a Saturday night???

Old 12-05-2007, 08:39 PM

277 posts, read 884,118 times
Red face dating in dc reminds me of networking

I dated many guys here that talk about their jobs or brag about their sophisticated hobbies. They turn me off quickly. The guys that I dated the longest were in the Virginia suburbs but they seem to want wives asap ( and kids). Oh well, dating may not be fun here but atleast the museums are free.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:18 AM

2,408 posts, read 14,396,459 times
Meh. It's like anyplace else really. Some people hook-up, some people date, and some people are on the desperate hunt for a spouse. There doesn't seem to me to be an overabundance of any of them though. I guess if I had to classify DC as something, I would say that people's behavior (i.e. a public date) tends to be more conservative than many cities. That's a bit of the government's influence on the area's culture. I remember reading an article several years back where they were debating opening, or maybe they did open, a Coyote Ugly style restaurant in DC, which as most people know, is a national chain that's fairly wild and encourages women to dance on bar tops. The article was basically talking about how much obstacles they faced in trying to get the women in DC to loosen up because they were so worried about their careers.

I've heard a lot of complaints, more from women than men, that there's either no available women/men in DC and that the ones who are are either dreadfully boring, arrogant, or workaholics. Then again, you hear these same complaints everywhere really. If you think about it, no one ever says "oh the dating scene in (insert city here) is GREAT!" Everyone complains about the same things everywhere in regards to dating.

One thing I will say though is that there are a LOT of single, college-educated, young professionals in DC. Percentage-wise, more than most cities, so there is a wide pool of similar people out there. Also, I may be mistaken, but I believe I read a statistic not all that long ago which stated something along the lines of DC having one of the highest rates of single thirtysomethings in the nation. That could be taken one of two ways, in that either the dating scene is so awful that people haven't been able to find a mate, OR that people have chosen to hold off getting married because they either don't believe in it, or have been too concentrated on their education and careers to give dating much mind.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:57 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,001,365 times
I have heard similar statistics - I know Arlington specifically has a high percentage of singles in their 30s but like you I've never drawn any specific conclusions from this - it's probably partly by choice (career, lifestyle, etc.) and partly not finding the right person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
Meh. It's like anyplace else really. Some people hook-up, some people date, and some people are on the desperate hunt for a spouse. There doesn't seem to me to be an overabundance of any of them though. I guess if I had to classify DC as something, I would say that people's behavior (i.e. a public date) tends to be more conservative than many cities. That's a bit of the government's influence on the area's culture. I remember reading an article several years back where they were debating opening, or maybe they did open, a Coyote Ugly style restaurant in DC, which as most people know, is a national chain that's fairly wild and encourages women to dance on bar tops. The article was basically talking about how much obstacles they faced in trying to get the women in DC to loosen up because they were so worried about their careers.

I've heard a lot of complaints, more from women than men, that there's either no available women/men in DC and that the ones who are are either dreadfully boring, arrogant, or workaholics. Then again, you hear these same complaints everywhere really. If you think about it, no one ever says "oh the dating scene in (insert city here) is GREAT!" Everyone complains about the same things everywhere in regards to dating.

One thing I will say though is that there are a LOT of single, college-educated, young professionals in DC. Percentage-wise, more than most cities, so there is a wide pool of similar people out there. Also, I may be mistaken, but I believe I read a statistic not all that long ago which stated something along the lines of DC having one of the highest rates of single thirtysomethings in the nation. That could be taken one of two ways, in that either the dating scene is so awful that people haven't been able to find a mate, OR that people have chosen to hold off getting married because they either don't believe in it, or have been too concentrated on their education and careers to give dating much mind.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:38 AM

5 posts, read 29,794 times
As a man in the his early 30s. I would say the dating in DC is great. It's multi-cultural, there is a lot to do on any given night. There is an ABUNDANCE of intelligent beautiful women from all over the world with great careers.It can be conservative at times for everyone has there guard up and it is a relativlely small area. I like it and I think it can get addictive and make one not settledown.There are a lot of options and I would always fall into the grass is greener line of thinking when in serious relationships.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:43 PM

349 posts, read 1,431,436 times
I've never been single in DC, but I can say from being here that the dating scene seems to be good for guys. Like was noted before there are a lot of beautiful, smart women from a variety of backgrounds here. I've met a number of women here that if I was single, I believe would be great to date. Compared to a place like Hampton Roads or when I lived in the midwest, this area is great.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:19 AM

382 posts, read 1,531,563 times
It's awful.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:05 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,734,196 times
Really depends on what type of person you're looking for. If you like the barhopping, young professional type that is out there to impress but not settle down--DC is swarming with them.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:22 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,482,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty_Rosenthal View Post
As a man in the his early 30s. I would say the dating in DC is great. It's multi-cultural, there is a lot to do on any given night. There is an ABUNDANCE of intelligent beautiful women from all over the world with great careers. It can be conservative at times for everyone has there guard up and it is a relativlely small area. I like it and I think it can get addictive and make one not settledown.There are a lot of options and I would always fall into the grass is greener line of thinking when in serious relationships.
Yeah, that's the way I would connect the dots in general. Statistically at least, there is a significantly larger cohort of eligible and desirable folks in this area than most, with the edge going to the guy-side in that the numbers of such females is even more out of line with the ordinary than that of males. The number who remain single into their 30's may well have to do with the dating scene being so good as to not make one want to give it up. In other towns, I've been aware of guys wanting to talk marriage at 25 because they were afraid that if they didn't make some sort of move soon, all the good ones would be gone. I don't hear much of that here, but eventually there does come a time for all when the idea of settling down and getting a good night's sleep more than once or twice a month starts to become attractive...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC