Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 10:37 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,565,138 times

Advertisements

Next week Washingtonians will be deciding whether or not to legalize weed. The initiative will most likely pass but after the election uncertainty remains. Congress could interfere, but they could also sit back and observe especially since Obama supports D.C.`s decisions and the senate is still democrat. I would've thought congress would've said something by now but they could also be waiting to see who is elected the next mayor before making a decision. At any rate this is big for D.C., nowhere else east of the Mississippi river has gone this far on marijuana reform.

Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 10:54 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,578,655 times
even if it passes, doesn't federal law still prohibit it from being bought and sold legally in DC? Meaning you can legally possess MJ in DC, but it would have to be brought in from outside sources.

BTW, I support full legalization of MJ country-wide. Hopefully its just a matter of time at this point. If Oregon passes the law in November and then CA passes it in 2016 then you have an entire coast where MJ is legal. Hopefully the rest of the states will quickly fall in line at that point

Old 10-30-2014, 11:17 AM

779 posts, read 632,786 times
They said that they are making an exception for a limited amount of pot in the home. It'll probably be like Cali where if the Feds want to crack down because their laws conflict with local laws they will or perhaps the next group of Fed leaders will start backing down on enforcement just like with gay marriage.

I still don't get the argument that it will hurt the children. I don't see anyone who says that advocating for Prohibition to make it's way back so why is weed so different?

Old 10-30-2014, 12:34 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,531,051 times
The Justice Department has said they cracked down in California because the regulations weren't clear and strict enough unlike in Colorado and Washington.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:59 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,971,723 times
I say have at it. It's a plant and can be well enjoyed. As far as being a gateway drug, I am sure we wouldn't have been this far if it was such a problem.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:59 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,260 times
This is common sense, prohibition has been a massive failure resulting in billions of wasted resources that could have been better spent on education.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:06 PM

10 posts, read 11,757 times
No. Huge deterioration in quality of life for the many so that a handful of people can get stoned.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:09 PM

10 posts, read 11,757 times
Because people don't have the sense to keep it away from kids (it affects brain development). And if you live in an apartment building, you'll probably get stuck with an inconsiderate stoner neighbor who will make your life a living hell, and the space uninhabitable for children.

Old 11-02-2014, 02:04 AM

12 posts, read 13,233 times
Sorry but I disagree excap. Prohibition already causes a huge deteriation in quality of life mainly for minority groups. Say what you want but most people see the flaws with your way of thinking.People do not deserve to be thrown in a cage for consumption of a medicinal and therapeutic plant. My guess is you are a retired PO . I'm sorry but you have been brainwashed. the cat is out of the bag....legalization is coming...and no the world will not end upon legalization.

Old 11-02-2014, 02:11 AM

12 posts, read 13,233 times
The main opponents against legalization are police unions, pharmaceutical companies, alcohol & tobacco companies, and the private prison industry....and cartels. I wonder what all the groups have in common? Follow the money...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: