Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 03:30 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,410,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Rock View Post
But that's what you want.

maybe, if you want to buy and sell again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 09:00 AM

1,261 posts, read 695,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
What neighborhoods are these? Barracks Row?

Old 02-18-2015, 10:48 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,632,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleHaze1100 View Post
Why is SE so undeveloped. Southeast doesn't even resemble the rest of the city in general West of the anaxostia. A lot more garden style apartments, forest, etc. However less rowhouses, condos, retail, and it doesn't feel as dense as the rest of the city. Malls, shopping centers, and business districts are nowhere to be found. I know SE is generally a bad part of the city but so is NE to a degree and it is much more developed and urban than SE. Gentrification and redevelopment has spiked in DC in the last decade, will it ever reach SE? What are your thoughts?
That's because it's been a traditionally poor section of DC. DC was not the best city for many decades from my understanding. Anacostia has started going through gentrification but you're not going to see any huge improvements for quite some time. I've been in Navy Yard for 3 years now and we continue to go through more gentrification and building. It's going to be a whole new world in a few more years and it's changed drastically in my time here.

Since the area you're talking about is low income there is no point in building all these places because there isn't demand. If most people in the area are on food stamps, out of work, etc. why would developers build? The population can't afford luxuries and there is no way more affluent people are going to head down to this area to go shopping for fear of being mugged and harrassed. I've driven though SE and I can't tell you of how many blacks stare at me for being white while making comments why a white person is in the area.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:20 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,565,824 times
EoTR DC developed at a different time than WoTR neighborhoods like Capitol Hill, Shaw, Columbia Heights, LeDroit Park, Dupont Circle, etc... Also the terrain on that side of the city is valley-ish.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
It took a long time, but this area is expanding so fast, these blighted areas are finally getting their due. I hope they save some of the architurture

Old 02-19-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Rock View Post
What neighborhoods are these? Barracks Row?
That's generally already a nice area. You have to keep going to find the rusty old houses and land.

Old 06-07-2015, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleHaze1100 View Post
Why is SE so undeveloped. Southeast doesn't even resemble the rest of the city in general West of the anaxostia. A lot more garden style apartments, forest, etc. However less rowhouses, condos, retail, and it doesn't feel as dense as the rest of the city. Malls, shopping centers, and business districts are nowhere to be found. I know SE is generally a bad part of the city but so is NE to a degree and it is much more developed and urban than SE. Gentrification and redevelopment has spiked in DC in the last decade, will it ever reach SE? What are your thoughts?
Simple, it ranks as one of the top 20 worst neighborhoods in the country due to violent crime. Chances of being attacked, 1 in 14.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:23 AM

The old city is west of the river and that has always been the most developed, urban part of DC. East of the river is more suburban in layout.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:10 PM

857 posts, read 1,201,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
As for robbing stores and stealing you stores gotta do is have armed security.
Hood stores still get robbed......or @ the bare minimum shoplifters just get more creative to get around the security. And i wouldnt talk considering i know someone from Harford Rd that told me somebody ran up in forman mills and shot up the place.

Quote:
As for NY hoods having more shopping options its more than just dollar stores and bodegas you got shoe stores, discount electronics, bars, clothing, all that. Flatbush in Brooklyn has endless strips of that next to housing projects.
U must not NY hoods all that well....first off Flatbush is a west indian immigrant enclave with some ghetto problems so comparing flatbush to a neighborhood in DC is not the best comparison. Some of those so called discount electronics places overcharge for that merchandise. I also mentioned urban clothing stores so that adresses your clothes and shoes comments. A large majority of the bars are either local watering holes or west indian themed nightspots.

Im going to need you to stop using NY neighborhoods for your comparisons. NY is a city that has and for the most part still is the ANTITHESIS of chain stores and suburban sprawl. even after the decline of neighborhoods you had your bare minimums or bodegas, dollar stores, hole in the wall ethnic carryouts and chinese food places. DC has tons of urban clothing places theyre just not on every corner like in NY. Few cities are even set up like NY neighborhoods in terms of retail strips. If you think SE DC is the worst than you obviously havent been to the ghettos of Chicago, or North St Louis as well as numerous other urban areas.

Quote:
Oh yea that's another thing Wards 7 and 8 literally have NO sit down restaurants or corner bars or bars period. What's up with that? Ihop and Denny's don't count.
what kind of sit down restaurants do u want overpriced organic restaurants for gentrifiers? Just bc IHOP or Dennys doesnt fit your tastes doesnt mean its not a sit down restaurant, esp considering these once were nonexistant in that part of town. Last time I checked there wasnt an abundance of sit down restaurants in ghettos and working class areas in Baltimore either.

the amount of ridiculous mess i read on CD i sear smdh

Old 06-11-2015, 08:23 AM

^ This site is like learn your history as you go sometimes smh. Some of these people are crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: