Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 11:19 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,360,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
People in this thread take the cold lightly because you get to travel in adequately warmed cars and go home to adequately warmed rooms. You barely ever even get exposed to it besides to and from your car so I dont value opinions of people with such luxuries when Im walking for miles and standing at bus stops all day, then go to a cold house where my bedroom is 40°. Kick rocks!

Im the one tolerating it and youre the frikkin wussies.
I wonder where in the DC area you live that you have to walk “miles” to a bus stop.

And you don’t get heating at home? Really, why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 11:48 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,491,104 times
I'm sure he meant it felt like miles, it's probably just a couple hundred yards. As for the inadequately heated home, maybe it's time to replace that air filter

Old 01-13-2015, 11:55 AM

11,371 posts, read 9,286,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
I wonder where in the DC area you live that you have to walk “miles” to a bus stop.

And you don’t get heating at home? Really, why not?
Not what I read at all.

Quote:
when Im walking for miles and standing at bus stops all day
The bus routes do not allow to take one to the front door of any place the customer wants to go.

Here she clearly says she "walking," not "walk miles to a bus stop." Getting off a bus and walking a mile to where she has to go and a mile back qualifies as "miles." I can easily see that.

I don't get the meanness toward the OP on this thread. She doen't owe you an explanation on lack of heat where she lives. She is likely living a lifestyle that you can't relate and would know nothing about.

Is it possible for you all to show some human kindness toward her?

Last edited by John13; 01-13-2015 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-13-2015, 12:25 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,643,129 times
I run on the Metropolitan Branch Trail, between Noma and Edgewood. Its dry, or at least it was Sunday. I put on two shirts then a thick hoodie and a scarf, earmuffs, gloves, and two pair of pants. Someone said they went running in this weather with only a long sleeve shirt! I see people in shorts! Nuts, the lot of you!

Old 01-17-2015, 12:06 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,753,866 times
Quote:
I run on the Metropolitan Branch Trail, between Noma and Edgewood. Its dry, or at least it was Sunday. I put on two shirts then a thick hoodie and a scarf, earmuffs, gloves, and two pair of pants. Someone said they went running in this weather with only a long sleeve shirt! I see people in shorts! Nuts, the lot of you!
Having your car buried in 12 inches of snow is NE. Having salt ocean water freeze is NE weather. Having to still go to your job, or even school on those days are NE winter.

DC isn't anything close to this. I simply didn't understand when you said, "I endured NE weather" or maybe you just "lived" there, because enduring and standing still is two different thing.

Also, my comment? Obviously, if you're complaining about this weather, you've never seen what NE weather is like. DC is like NE's Florida in my opinion.

Also, Yac does his job well. He is a good moderator, and he is on this forum like a hawk. Stop talking **** about Yac. Trust me, I got my share of thrashing from Yac.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Excuse me??? Wtf kind of post is this? Darling I lived on Denison and Farmington in Hartford, and went to UH as well. Grew up every summer on Fountain Terrace in New Haven. You need some manners.

The coldest day I experienced was 15 below zero up there standing at bus stops.

Sorry but I hate people like you calling people liars and dont want to talk to you now so Ill just report your post.
First of all, I'm not your darling. Second of all, I think YOU need some manners in speaking with other intelligent human beings. And lastly, what else do you hate. It seems like you hate basically everything according to your post history.

Thank you for not wanting to talk to me. Seriously, what a relief.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:42 PM

33 posts, read 35,939 times
FWIW Yiuppy, I am also from southern NE and I swear on my life it "feels" colder in this area than it does up there. Last winter and this winter I would always check the weather of both on my phone and often it was colder here. I honestly do not recall seeing more than a 10 degree difference (but again I am from the southern most part of NE).

Anyways, what IMO makes it feel colder here is that it is very damp and much windier. Up there winter is extremely dry, which would make my hands crack and constant use of chapstick. Here is it still damp/humid even in the winter, which makes you colder. Obviously the additional wind creates a higher wind chill factor. I also find 28-30 degree with fluffy snow much more comfortable than 36-38 degrees and icy-cold rain like what is common in DC.

Obviously, everyone who I say this to thinks I'm crazy. Though my wife is starting to agree with me after we took multiple trips up there during winter. I can say that I can go outside comfortably without a jacket in 35-40 degree weather up in NE. Here in DC, 40s feels very cold to me.

Also, Mr. Plovikos, I have never seen the ocean freeze in New England. Not sure what salt water they have near Hartford - Connecticut River is freshwater - but there are no icebergs on the Long Island Sound. Sorry!

Old 01-27-2015, 10:48 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
^ I agree a hundred. DC has that pneumonia weather compared to a lot of places north.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:10 PM

I agree with the wind. I mean, the wind is what kills.

If you haven't seen this, you haven't been to RI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: