Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2015, 07:25 PM

12 posts, read 9,983 times

Advertisements

I am studying American History at a university in the United Kingdom. Next summer I will start my year abroad studying in the United States, hopefully at a university in or near Washington, D.C. (likely to be George Mason University). I am hoping to get an internship on my year abroad and know that the application deadlines are really early so I thought I would start researching it now.

I always assumed I would be able to get an internship working for a Congressman or even in a state capitol but from research it appears you must be a U.S. citizen to do so. I looked into working for state senators in Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia but they all require you to be a USC. Are there any other roles in the state capitols I would be able to work for? If not, that rules out my Plan A.

Plan B is working for either the Democratic National Convention or the Republican National Convention. The latter requires you to be a U.S. citizen but the DNC does not say, presumably they share the same stance but if you know otherwise then please tell me!

Plan C is working for a newspaper or other media organisation in D.C. and this seems the best bet on the citizenship front but it's obviously as competitive so I still need other options. I intend on applying to intern at the British Embassy in D.C. but I believe I would need a work Visa, and I will only have a student one.

Do you have any recommendations for internships in D.C. or Northern Virginia that are related to politics, government, or the media aside from the aforementioned ones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 06:01 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,896,215 times
You could try PublicSquare but, like most of the better internships in DC, PublicSquare is unpaid interning.

[url=http://www.publicsquare.net]PublicSquare.net - Common Ground, Uncommon Debate[/url]

Old 07-03-2015, 06:04 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GG3061 View Post
I am studying American History at a university in the United Kingdom. Next summer I will start my year abroad studying in the United States, hopefully at a university in or near Washington, D.C. (likely to be George Mason University). I am hoping to get an internship on my year abroad and know that the application deadlines are really early so I thought I would start researching it now.

I always assumed I would be able to get an internship working for a Congressman or even in a state capitol but from research it appears you must be a U.S. citizen to do so. I looked into working for state senators in Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia but they all require you to be a USC. Are there any other roles in the state capitols I would be able to work for? If not, that rules out my Plan A.

Plan B is working for either the Democratic National Convention or the Republican National Convention. The latter requires you to be a U.S. citizen but the DNC does not say, presumably they share the same stance but if you know otherwise then please tell me!

Plan C is working for a newspaper or other media organisation in D.C. and this seems the best bet on the citizenship front but it's obviously as competitive so I still need other options. I intend on applying to intern at the British Embassy in D.C. but I believe I would need a work Visa, and I will only have a student one.

Do you have any recommendations for internships in D.C. or Northern Virginia that are related to politics, government, or the media aside from the aforementioned ones?
Don't expect to work as an intern for a federal, state or local legislature without an citizenship. Your plan A is out.

Same goes for conventions, it is unlikely.

Your best bet is likely for a nonprofit or NGO like the World Bank, IMF, Red Cross, etc. THEY will take foreign interns, but it is likely to be unpaid work.

Old 07-04-2015, 12:32 PM

99 posts, read 120,376 times
What are you exactly looking for in an internship? It seems like you are limiting yourself to politics, foreign affairs and policy?

I agree your plan A is unfeasible without a citizenship.

For an internship with the British Embassy, it says on the website:

"Under US State Department requirements, the embassy and our consulates may only employ, as non-diplomatic staff, persons who are US citizens, US Green Card holders or A visa holders. If you hold a visa other than an A visa, you are not currently eligible to work at the embassy or our consulates. The UK Mission to the UN (UKMIS) also accepts G visas, and British Defence Staff (BDS) outposts accept A or NATO visas. All candidates will be subject to background checks and security clearance."

I believe you must hold a visa that allows you to work in the US. I'm not sure how the UK runs their Embassy internship programs. As an American student wanting to intern in an overseas embassy, it's not only highly competitive, but you essentially have to apply at least a semester in advance to accommodate selection and security clearances. You don't arrive in the country and then hope to get an internship. I imagine an internship in the UK mission to the US is of the hardest to obtain - super critical bilateral relationship, common language, the importance of the US in the world in general...

Old 07-05-2015, 07:56 PM

251 posts, read 342,022 times
If you are interested in media, maybe try British media that has bureaus in DC, like the BBC, Reuters, or the Guardian.

I think you are better off waiting until you get here for your study abroad program instead of applying from the UK. Most orgs will look at local students first.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:30 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,547,565 times
Welcome! The Washington area is a terrific place to learn about American history, particularly since so many of its critical episodes (from Williamsburg to Watergate) occurred nearby.

You'll have a very difficult time getting a paid internship with a student visa. Your paycheck has to be reported to the tax authorities, who require a social security number, which you can only get under certain circumstances: http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10181.pdf

Instead, you should inquire with the study-abroad programs about internships, including unpaid internships for class credit. You should also inquire directly with organizations about the latter.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:43 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,531,569 times
Contact the Washington Center. They are the biggest internship organization in the DC area. I'm sure they could help you.

I was able to intern for the British Parliament when I studied abroad in London. It's not that hard to get an internship if you're not being paid. We had to be going to class at least half the time to be eligible to work as a foreigner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: