Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 08:59 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,574,645 times

Advertisements

I am talking about the local stations in DC, such as channels 4, 5, and 7, the reporters and anchormen/women are not as qualified as the counterparts in other cities, such as Miami, assuming the qualifications are, not making mistakes (number of times stumbling with words), clever with comments between segments, ability to speak well, and attractiveness (hey, you're on TV - it should be one of the qualifications).

Not only that, the way the dress (look at the weather ladies), it's like comparing the 80s to 2015.

Why is that the case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 09:57 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,969,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
I am talking about the local stations in DC, such as channels 4, 5, and 7, the reporters and anchormen/women are not as qualified as the counterparts in other cities, such as Miami, assuming the qualifications are, not making mistakes (number of times stumbling with words), clever with comments between segments, ability to speak well, and attractiveness (hey, you're on TV - it should be one of the qualifications).

Not only that, the way the dress (look at the weather ladies), it's like comparing the 80s to 2015.

Why is that the case?
This is a very interesting question and quite really up my alley. I haven't really paid attention to segment takes and cleverness because I rarely watch local news in this area for some reason- now that I think of it. But coming from Miami, it was quite a bit of a change in terms of attractiveness during the few times I happen to flip through. But again, its Miami so it's not really fair to compare other cities.

But I am really interested in how news reporter "stage presence" differs from city to city. I think it has to do with the news that they cover. However, I will tell you that I find that fox News Cable has MUCH better stage presence than the geeks on MSNBC or CNN. Too many young non-earring wearing, introverted masculine intellectual types with no humor.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:52 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,958,922 times
This is largely because if anybody has any talent as an on air personality they are sucked up by the national and international media in the city almost immediately. Where in other major cities this would never happen, save for NYC. The only competition then is other local networks. Not Al Jazeera, BBC, PBS, NPR, CNN, FOX, MSNBC, RT, etc. Seriously, the list of media outlets with DC offices is immense, almost all hiring DC based on air personalities. So locals literally get the bottom of the barrel.

Old 06-28-2015, 04:31 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,159,000 times
Reading news off a teleprompter isn't the most demanding job, you don't need any special qualifications other than being halfway decent looking and having a pleasant voice. I don't watch local news much except during weather emergencies but NBC 4 is the most entertaining to watch. Jim Vance is the best, very funny guy. It was at its peak in the 90s when they had weatherman Bob Ryan, sportscaster George Michael (not the singer) and Arch Campbell the movie critic but only Jim remains now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
This is a very interesting question and quite really up my alley. I haven't really paid attention to segment takes and cleverness because I rarely watch local news in this area for some reason- now that I think of it. But coming from Miami, it was quite a bit of a change in terms of attractiveness during the few times I happen to flip through. But again, its Miami so it's not really fair to compare other cities.

But I am really interested in how news reporter "stage presence" differs from city to city. I think it has to do with the news that they cover. However, I will tell you that I find that fox News Cable has MUCH better stage presence than the geeks on MSNBC or CNN. Too many young non-earring wearing, introverted masculine intellectual types with no humor.
FOX News seems to have only conservative old guys or really hot young women with very little inbetween. MSNBC has geeky guys because they don't really have much news on there, mostly commentator personalities like Chris Matthews and Al Sharpton.

Old 06-28-2015, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Having attractive news reporters might be expected in Miami, but you wouldn't think their cleverness would be better than in DC, but it is. The Aaron guy from channel 4 in the morning stumble on words all the time and often can't finish few sentences with "ummm......um.....ummm.." like the reading material he is reading from has tons of mistake on them.

Don't even get me started with the weather ladies or traffic ladies. In comparison to Miami, the DC's ones are like they just randomly pick a mom next door. It is fine if you're in small town in Texas or medium size city like Charlotte, NC, but it's Washington, DC.

And, the comments they make about certain stories, com'on now, if you don't have anything clever to say, just say it. Millions are watching. Just read your material and turn it over to the weather person. Oh, and a HUGE "THANK you" comment is not necessary every time the weather person complete his segment; a small "Thanks, Jim" would do.

Old 06-28-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolZombie View Post
Reading news off a teleprompter isn't the most demanding job, you don't need any special qualifications other than being halfway decent looking and having a pleasant voice. I don't watch local news much except during weather emergencies but NBC 4 is the most entertaining to watch. Jim Vance is the best, very funny guy. It was at its peak in the 90s when they had weatherman Bob Ryan, sportscaster George Michael (not the singer) and Arch Campbell the movie critic but only Jim remains now.

FOX News seems to have only conservative old guys or really hot young women with very little in between. MSNBC has geeky guys because they don't really have much news on there, mostly commentator personalities like Chris Matthews and Al Sharpton.
Very true, very true!

Old 06-28-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
Seriously, the list of media outlets with DC offices is immense, almost all hiring DC based on air personalities. So locals literally get the bottom of the barrel.
See now this is veddy interesting and makes a lot of sense. It might just be the answer.

Old 06-28-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Having attractive news reporters might be expected in Miami, but you wouldn't think their cleverness would be better than in DC, but it is. The Aaron guy from channel 4 in the morning stumble on words all the time and often can't finish few sentences with "ummm......um.....ummm.." like the reading material he is reading from has tons of mistake on them.

Don't even get me started with the weather ladies or traffic ladies. In comparison to Miami, the DC's ones are like they just randomly pick a mom next door. It is fine if you're in small town in Texas or medium size city like Charlotte, NC, but it's Washington, DC.

And, the comments they make about certain stories, com'on now, if you don't have anything clever to say, just say it. Millions are watching. Just read your material and turn it over to the weather person. Oh, and a HUGE "THANK you" comment is not necessary every time the weather person complete his segment; a small "Thanks, Jim" would do.
It's really interesting to read how you pick up on the little details. I find this stuff rather fascinating and sometimes can get carried away with it. But thanks for sharing this...

Old 06-28-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
It's really interesting to read how you pick up on the little details. I find this stuff rather fascinating and sometimes can get carried away with it. But thanks for sharing this...
Maybe in Miami, they hire the most qualified person, and in DC, they use affirmative action, just to have certain group being represented?

There is this reporter on channel 4 or 5, she either has a heavy accent or irregularity with her tongue. Oh, the black man from channel 5, he clears his throat every 30 second with heavy mucus. I had to turn to other channels when I am eating.

All of these characteristics are fine at the work place, but NOT on TV for millions to see and hear.

Old 06-28-2015, 06:02 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,118,571 times
not sure why "attractiveness" is needed to report news, weather, or traffic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: