Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 11:27 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,856 times

Advertisements

In your opinion, what DC neighborhood gives you the most bang for your buck?

My lease is up soon and I'm looking to move to a new neighborhood. I currently live in the Woodley Park area, which I've gotten bored with.

I've been walking the city after work to get a feel for different areas, but its hard to tell where my dollar will go farthest. Right now I have my eye on NoMa. I like that its close enough to the action, yet still not too expensive. However, I'm not totally sold yet. I'm also entertaining the Mass Avenue stretch, Foggy Bottom, and Shaw.

What areas close to the action have some of you found to be good value? Not looking to live in far out areas like Van Ness or Brookland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 10:27 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,153,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
In your opinion, what DC neighborhood gives you the most bang for your buck?

My lease is up soon and I'm looking to move to a new neighborhood. I currently live in the Woodley Park area, which I've gotten bored with.

I've been walking the city after work to get a feel for different areas, but its hard to tell where my dollar will go farthest. Right now I have my eye on NoMa. I like that its close enough to the action, yet still not too expensive. However, I'm not totally sold yet. I'm also entertaining the Mass Avenue stretch, Foggy Bottom, and Shaw.

What areas close to the action have some of you found to be good value? Not looking to live in far out areas like Van Ness or Brookland.
SW Waterfront or Navy Yard

Old 03-03-2016, 02:36 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,260 times
I am not sure there is any huge value in DC anymore. I mean the further out neighborhoods like Brookland and Takoma are both getting more interesting, but even they are going up considerably in price. The best value now may actually be in the older buildings along Connecticut ave. In the past they used to be the most expensive apartments in DC, but these days they look pretty reasonable. So maybe something in Woodley Park?

Old 03-04-2016, 06:15 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,996,763 times
Buying or renting? The answer will be different. It would be hard to make a bad buy in 16th Street Heights these days, especially along 14th Street around Emerson, which is also quite nice.

Old 03-04-2016, 06:32 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,531,051 times
Yeah, I guess it depends if you're willing to not be walking distance to Metro and how active you want the nightlife to be.

SW Waterfront, Brookland, Petworth, and the hoods up 16th street are probably the best value in DC IMO. The amenities just flat out suck though, but I guess if you're a homebody you might not care.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:45 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,153,639 times
If OP looks into SW, better get in now...these new apartment buildings are charging rent as if the Wharf has been completed.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:00 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Yeah, I guess it depends if you're willing to not be walking distance to Metro and how active you want the nightlife to be.

SW Waterfront, Brookland, Petworth, and the hoods up 16th street are probably the best value in DC IMO. The amenities just flat out suck though, but I guess if you're a homebody you might not care.
You have a very poor understanding of DC if you think the Amenities suck on 16th St, Brookland, or Petworth. But that has been demonstrated time and again anyway with people from Arlington, who barely understand DC beyond a very high level that is barely better than a well informed tourist. You may know a few of the nightlife districts, but that's it.

With a few of these neighborhoods you are usually a few blocks walk away from things. I stress the word walk. Frankly this is not surprising from somebody who lives in Arlington. Most people I know who live in Arlington barely understands DC outside of a few entertainment area. You just outright proved the point. So no the Amenities do not flat out suck.

I think the only one here that really does not have much going on near it in terms of Amenities is SW waterfront. Otherwise you have an area that has become extremely good in the last couple of years and has exploded in amenities (Brookland), an area that is centrally located between Adams Morgan, Columbia Heights, and U St (16th St Apartments), and basically one of the most interesting neighborhoods in the city with fantastic small restaurants (Petworth), that is also a very short trip to U St, Columbia Heights, etc.

Like many Arlington residents you probably barely understand these places, or have not been there in years. Which is not shocking coming from somebody from Arlington.

Old 03-04-2016, 01:44 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,531,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
You have a very poor understanding of DC if you think the Amenities suck on 16th St, Brookland, or Petworth. But that has been demonstrated time and again anyway with people from Arlington, who barely understand DC beyond a very high level that is barely better than a well informed tourist. You may know a few of the nightlife districts, but that's it.

With a few of these neighborhoods you are usually a few blocks walk away from things. I stress the word walk. Frankly this is not surprising from somebody who lives in Arlington. Most people I know who live in Arlington barely understands DC outside of a few entertainment area. You just outright proved the point. So no the Amenities do not flat out suck.

I think the only one here that really does not have much going on near it in terms of Amenities is SW waterfront. Otherwise you have an area that has become extremely good in the last couple of years and has exploded in amenities (Brookland), an area that is centrally located between Adams Morgan, Columbia Heights, and U St (16th St Apartments), and basically one of the most interesting neighborhoods in the city with fantastic small restaurants (Petworth), that is also a very short trip to U St, Columbia Heights, etc.

Like many Arlington residents you probably barely understand these places, or have not been there in years. Which is not shocking coming from somebody from Arlington.
You're right I don't jack **** about these places, I only used to work in Brookland every single damn day of the week. There's lame ass 12th street that has like 3 restaurants on it. What are there like 3 or 4 good restaurants in Petworth?

It's definitely getting better, but it still has a long way to go. Sorry the truth hurts.

Hopefully I didn't hurt your feelings when I showed you were wrong about being easier to get to the federal city from anywhere in DC compared to Arlington.

Old 03-04-2016, 02:10 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,996,763 times
I agree that the 16th Street Heights area doesn't have a lot of bars and not even as many restaurants as many of us would like. As you get a little older and a bit more mature, you'll find the latest bar isn't the be all and end all of your life. Most of our entertaining these days is done in homes -- ours and others.

The OP's question was where is there value for money. I live directly across the street from Rock Creek Park. I can sit in my back yard and listen to the music at Carter Baron in the summer or I can walk across the street and sit in the amphitheater. If you like tennis, there's a professional tournament every summer. There is weekend soccer on the fields at the stadium. In addition, I'm 20 minutes from downtown and 5 minutes from connecting the the Capital Crescent Trail. In 5 minutes I can be totally out of sight of any buildings and walk for hours without the slightest hint of a city.

You live in Arlington. Everybody has to live somewhere. Enjoy your next bender.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:34 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,856 times
I am looking to rent, not buy.

As far as what "value" means to me:

-Walking distance from a supermarket
-Walking distance to nightlife (10-15 minute walk is fine)
-Walking distance to convenience stores
-Walking distance to restaurants
-Building with a gym
-Building with no mice or rats
-Building with up-to-date bathroom and kitchen

Obviously I don't expect to check every box.. but the more the better. And I prefer being in a built environment over being near parks and trees. To me that feels too much like the suburbs.

I have not been to the SW Waterfront area in probably two years, so I will have to walk that area. It sounds interesting. I was surprised to see how much Georgia Avenue changed since my last visit. DC changes so fast that if you haven't been to a neighborhood in a few months you probably don't know what it looks like now. Since starting my search I'm surprise by all the new apartments, restaurants and businesses I'm running into that didn't exist a year ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC