Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 02:41 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,718,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
I am looking to rent, not buy.

As far as what "value" means to me:

-Walking distance from a supermarket
-Walking distance to nightlife (10-15 minute walk is fine)
-Walking distance to convenience stores
-Walking distance to restaurants
-Building with a gym
-Building with no mice or rats
-Building with up-to-date bathroom and kitchen
Getting back to the original question...

In general, I think you'd get the best value if you find a private rental (so you might need to scratch the "building with a gym"). Apartment buildings with amenities seem to be priced accordingly, particularly since they're easy to find for people who are remote or have little time and therefore have a larger audience to choose from. It takes more work, but if you've got the time it can be worth it.

I'd find some neighborhoods that fit your requirements and scour CraigsList, HotPads, or go for walks around the neighborhood (I see a lot of privately-owned apartments advertised by signs on the window). When I helped my boyfriend look at apartments a couple of years ago I was surprised to be able to find units all at similar prices in Crystal City, Pentagon City, Logan Circle, Adams Morgan, Dupont Circle (ok, so I might have been a little biased towards having him closer), Capitol Hill, and SW. Some of them just took more digging to find than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 04:39 PM

814 posts, read 911,768 times
Anything above Culpeper then you're a liberal yankee, who cares if its Arlington or DC

Old 03-06-2016, 09:50 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,100,064 times
Quote:
Arlington is a suburb with a commercial downtown area. Arlington is considered a suburb of DC.

A lot of areas in Northern Virginia and Maryland have urban downtowns including:

-Arlington
-Rockville
-Bethesda
-Silver Spring
-Tysons Corner

And many more. Having small commercial downtowns does not mean these places are not suburbs. You would need miles and miles of urban built environment before you would really be in what most consider an urban city like DC, Baltimore, Philly, NYC, etc. DC is a city. Arlington is a town. Towns are suburbs. At best you can call Arlington an "edge city" I guess. But most don't consider it a real city.

Arlington is the suburbs. Sorry.
Actually Arlington is a county. A strange little county with no county seat or other towns. I consider it an "inner ring" suburb like Bethesda, Silver Spring, Takoma Park, Hyattsville, Falls Church, etc.

Old 03-07-2016, 05:22 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,565,138 times
For the price you pay in hip DC neighborhoods you could live in an even better NYC neighborhood for less or the same. Columbia Heights is cool but had gotten mad expensive. I was raised there and have seen the change.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:33 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,153,639 times
Quote:
I am looking to rent, not buy.

As far as what "value" means to me:

-Walking distance from a supermarket
-Walking distance to nightlife (10-15 minute walk is fine)
-Walking distance to convenience stores
-Walking distance to restaurants
-Building with a gym
-Building with no mice or rats
-Building with up-to-date bathroom and kitchen

Obviously I don't expect to check every box.. but the more the better. And I prefer being in a built environment over being near parks and trees. To me that feels too much like the suburbs.

I have not been to the SW Waterfront area in probably two years, so I will have to walk that area. It sounds interesting. I was surprised to see how much Georgia Avenue changed since my last visit. DC changes so fast that if you haven't been to a neighborhood in a few months you probably don't know what it looks like now. Since starting my search I'm surprise by all the new apartments, restaurants and businesses I'm running into that didn't exist a year ago.
If you live in the central area of SW, you're close to the Safeway (which has a Starbucks), CVS, Z-Burger, Subway.

I mean you could walk up 7th and be in the Chinatown area in about 20 minutes, or you could take the train and you're there in 7.

It really depends on what your budget is, I think you can find some SW apartments in the older buildings for $1600 or so, utilities included but those get gobbled up fast.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:57 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
If you live in the central area of SW, you're close to the Safeway (which has a Starbucks), CVS, Z-Burger, Subway.

I mean you could walk up 7th and be in the Chinatown area in about 20 minutes, or you could take the train and you're there in 7.

It really depends on what your budget is, I think you can find some SW apartments in the older buildings for $1600 or so, utilities included but those get gobbled up fast.
$1600 is exactly the price I was looking for. I can go as high as $2000 but I would rather not. My ideal price range is $1500 to $1700. Beyond that I start getting itchy. I also keep in mind the fact that rent goes up every year in most buildings. So the lower I can start the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC