Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2008, 12:42 PM

4 posts, read 8,865 times

Advertisements

I have received an offer to relocate to the DC area from Minnesota. While I am excited about the new position, my wife is somewhat apprehensive. We have 2 elementary-age children and have located 2 small parochial schools they may attend (Silver Spring, MD and Falls Church). I am wondering about the benefits/drawbacks of these areas and also whether my wife will easily find suitable employment. She has a BA and is currently taking graduate courses. Her experiences include non-profit and housing related areas. Are there readily available jobs in the area in these fields and any idea on the pay scales with 5+ years exp and 3 yrs management exp?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 05:40 PM

198 posts, read 926,181 times
If you are definitely doing private school then I would consider Silver Spring because you'll get more bang for the buck housing wise. Silver Spring is also very big, so if you let people know exactly where the school is, we can suggest neighbors to consider for housing (your housing budget is also helpful). I think that in general the "culture" of No Va and MD are very similar. Falls Church City is going to have more of a small town feel than Silver Spring.

There are many, many non-profits in the DC area so my guess is that your wife could find positions that interest her. Though it sounds like she has quite a bit of experience, she is going to be competing against a lot of people with graduate degrees (especially in non-profits). Salaries can range a lot in non-profits depending on what type of organization she is interested in.

It's very expensive to live here. I would weigh your decision carefully and rent before buying.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:39 PM

4 posts, read 8,865 times
The schools would either be located at 3233 Annandale in Falls Church or
1500 Brown Station in Largo. I have been checking craigslist and the real estate sites - it looks as though a 3br townhouse can be found in these vicinities starting at around $1800/mo. (we're trying to stay in the $1800-$2000 range). I keep hearing how expensive it is to live in DC, but we already pay almost $1200/mo. and with the pay increase and loss of a car payment my math is telling me we will actually come out ahead by moving. Am I missing something? Obviously, we will no longer have acreage and 2000+ sq.ft., but it doesn't seem that unaffordable to me.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:19 AM

7 posts, read 15,835 times
We're looking at the same two areas for a transfer from Salt Lake City with my husband's Minnesota-based company. He has the choice of working out of the Bailey's Crossroads (Falls Church) office or the Silver Spring office.

We're leaning toward Silver Spring because it's easier to find something with a shorter commute that's affordable there. Tuition for parochial schools also seems to be a bit lower, though where we are now, neither public nor parochial schools have had the level that our children need, so I've been homeschooling.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:36 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times
I have no formal knowledge on the housing angle, but I have worked in the DC non-profit realm.

DC is the home of non-profits - thousands of them.

DC is also involved in a major issue of rising housing costs pushing lower income families out of their neighborhoods. There are a lot of groups working to help mitigate this impact.

Whether there are specific jobs, I don't know. Look on Craigslist, Monster, etc..., but I think she's coming into a good situation for her background.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC