Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 09:12 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,629,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deatheater View Post
I am starting my new job from Monday. But, I have already started looking for jobs elsewhere and praying to be called for interview where my applications are in review. Instead of being excited about my new job, I am starting to have second thoughts. The reason: rent in DC/Northern Virginia. Although its my fault that I should have researched properly before applying. However, given the job market, I had to apply everywhere. My energy was sapped when I did online search for the cost of apartments in DC/Northern VA. My filter of 500 min - 700 max quickly returned with "Sorry, we couldn't find any apartments that match your search criteria."

I have just graduated with a massive debt. All I care right now is paying back my loan. The "urban vibrancy" and "nightlife" are unnecessary for someone like me who prefers spending time indoors. I have realized that after income tax and living cost, I will hardly be saving. As a result, I have left my applications active in other places and have started looking for new openings. This makes me very sad. All the energy and optimism is gone, even before starting the job. Right now I am living in Arlington at my uncle's place sharing a bedroom with two cousins. I want to move out as soon as possible but moving out means no saving. Thus, I have opted to look for new openings and leave this place if I get it. Also, I will have to take two metros and a bus to reach where I work. I have been suggested not to drive to work because of the traffic and delays in DC.

My offer states that I will be paid $28/hr for a full-time position. How does it compare to the living cost in DC? Am I making too little? My argument is that even for lesser hourly rate I can get one-bedroom apartment for $500-700 in a different state. Considering the tax deduction to be same, even if I save the same amount of money as I save in DC, I will have my own apartment elsewhere compared to living/sharing with others here in DC. Am I right? Should I continue to look for new openings? I am lost. Where can I find cheaper apartments in this region?
It sounds like you put the horse before the cart. There is no one to blame but yourself for this as you did no due diligence. $28/hour comes to a little more than $50k/year. Living off that kind of wage in DC is going to be tough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 08:55 PM

814 posts, read 911,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
It sounds like you put the horse before the cart. There is no one to blame but yourself for this as you did no due diligence. $28/hour comes to a little more than $50k/year. Living off that kind of wage in DC is going to be tough.
Actually he put the carriage before the horse. DC has an artificial economy because most of the jobs are created by the government, which also means they can be taken away.

SF is tech and is in a boom however 2015 saw some of the biggest lay offs from the tech companies.

NYC and the borough of Manhattan is affluence and finance, if you are not making a few million a year you may as well forget NYC, more specifically Manhattan.

What all 3 cities have in common is each hosts an industry as a driver of economic growth, tech, government, finance. Detroit also had industry as an economic driver, automotive, and we all have seen the outcome of that.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:28 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,629,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post
Actually he put the carriage before the horse. DC has an artificial economy because most of the jobs are created by the government, which also means they can be taken away.

SF is tech and is in a boom however 2015 saw some of the biggest lay offs from the tech companies.

NYC and the borough of Manhattan is affluence and finance, if you are not making a few million a year you may as well forget NYC, more specifically Manhattan.

What all 3 cities have in common is each hosts an industry as a driver of economic growth, tech, government, finance. Detroit also had industry as an economic driver, automotive, and we all have seen the outcome of that.
HA! You're right. My bad.

Old 10-15-2015, 10:09 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,971,216 times
I really and truly wonder what average folk think when they are reading these threads. It sort of paints a sad picture for the common folk that want to come to DC and possibly prosper with time. All these "above average" $ signs being thrown out can surely give a person the impression of eating dirt for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. $28 is a lot of money in the United States of America, I don't care who you are. It is above entry level. (I am not talking to the self-appointed DC elitist types) Most first responder (police, fire rescue, paramedics, even teachers) don't see $28 as basic pay the first 10 years of service. (overtime doesn't count cause it's not always there). These people run To the threat while most people run AWAY from the thread. These jobs are most certainly professional.

There are so many people happy to take an $11 warehouse job. Or even Airline receptionists/baggage handlers at major international air ports are making $9-$15 even after 2 years on the job as supervisors. They are happy to take a pay cut in order to fly back to the caribbean and internationally on standby to visit family. These are professional jobs.

As an officer in florida I was making what came out to be $22 an hour (actual take home pay after busting my time in overtime) and was able to afford a $1,650 2/2 w/ 1 car garage in gated community with all the amenities next door to include movie theatre, 24hr super walmart, mall, plaza shops galore, and being only 20 min from south beach, ft lauderdale beach, and 30 min from town miami.

But I am serious- it really puts things into perspective after having read all these numbers being thrown up on here. It also talks to us about the dynamics, the way of life, the happiness, and culture evolvement.

So we must ask ourselves, while we may have our own values and goals, is it right to suggest others to move to DC in the future and subject themselves to roommates on the "hopes" of moving up? Is it even worth it for those that are not planning to thrive in the government/contract sectors?

Old 10-15-2015, 10:27 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,530,453 times
On $28 an hour, you can afford to get a studio walking distance to Metro (so no car), live semi-comfortably, and save money (even after accounting for student loans).

People are very pessimistic on here sometimes. Yes, housing is expensive as hell but unless you have to live in a penthouse in a Class A building in Dupont Circle, it is very doable.

And if everyone just found a significant other, live becomes much more affordable.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:16 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,960,739 times
The question with regards to whether one should even consider DC if they are not in the educated professional class. My answer is no. If you do not have a bachelors do not even consider moving here. Likewise if you don't have one and live here consider moving away. All the people you listed, I don't consider professionals. They are service workers, not professional jobs, and in many cases lower skilled ones. In fact you only listed one which was a professional, teacher, that requires a bachelors, and requires a graduate degree to advance in the field. This is not a city that needs more low skill non professional service workers like baggage handlers or receptionists. We actually laid off a wave of secretaries during the last recession because their jobs became obsolete because of technology, specifically smartphones and email. We have close to 20% unemployment rate for lower skill workers. It has below 4%/unemployment for those profeasional workers with a bachelors or higher. DC should have a sign entering the area...bachelors required, graduate degree preferred. Also the cops and firefighters do fairly well financially in the area, and are paid well. But somebody hoping to move to the area without a college education or upward mobility...don't. Proof, though nothing in this report is new. http://m.wamu.org/#/news/15/10/15/dc...es_report_says

Last edited by DistrictSonic; 10-15-2015 at 12:39 PM..

Old 10-15-2015, 01:15 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,971,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
The question with regards to whether one should even consider DC if they are not in the educated professional class. My answer is no. If you do not have a bachelors do not even consider moving here. Likewise if you don't have one and live here consider moving away. All the people you listed, I don't consider professionals. They are service workers, not professional jobs, and in many cases lower skilled ones. In fact you only listed one which was a professional, teacher, that requires a bachelors, and requires a graduate degree to advance in the field. This is not a city that needs more low skill non professional service workers like baggage handlers or receptionists. We actually laid off a wave of secretaries during the last recession because their jobs became obsolete because of technology, specifically smartphones and email. We have close to 20% unemployment rate for lower skill workers. It has below 4%/unemployment for those profeasional workers with a bachelors or higher. DC should have a sign entering the area...bachelors required, graduate degree preferred. Also the cops and firefighters do fairly well financially in the area, and are paid well. But somebody hoping to move to the area without a college education or upward mobility...don't. Proof, though nothing in this report is new. Home | WAMU 88.5 - American University Radio
Wow DistrictSonic. Hey, you have to love the directness and honesty about you. That's certainly one thing nobody can hold against you. But man, you are a cold as ice.... wwhew.. Just like Trump says, they are some of the nastiest people but they are the best negotiators..

But I will argue that a college education does not equate to one being a "professional". Jobs that require any one of the following to include extensive training in various areas such as health, law, and human behavior are just as, if not MORE, of a professional than many government paper pushers with a degree watching youtube their entire shift:

1. An accepted Code of Ethics
2. A board of certification or licensing
3. Specialized and extensive HANDS ON training in various areas such as law, health, human behavior.
4. Operational standards of personal/team work
5. An oath or affirmation to the above standards.

But on that note of obsolete jobs, sorry for your loss. Andrew Keen has been the voice of this exact issue. I literally was just having a conversation about this. We broke the old system but there is no new system to replace it.

He argues 3 points-

1- loss privacy
2- loss of structural jobs (whatsapp was sold w/out a business model for $20 Billion with 55 employees)
3- inequality from the digital revolution (winner take all economy and very few middle class)
4- undermining of cultural and professional content and media (harder for musicians and journalists)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhRMb7hw9-M

Old 10-16-2015, 01:31 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,530,453 times
That's a little too simplistic.

A lot of service jobs in DC actually pay pretty well because of unions. My boyfriend who's in the SEIU actually makes more than me and he's like 5 or 6 years less educated than me.

Old 10-16-2015, 02:37 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,185,264 times
For contrast, a GS-7 entry-level fed professional (bachelors degree) in DC starts at $43,057. That's $20.63 per hour before deductions.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:24 AM

832 posts, read 1,417,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
I doubt that anyone believes that. But when you are just starting out in life, you begin on the lower rungs of the ladder. You don't and don't expect to live in a place where you have to step past the photographers from Architectural Digest on the way to the kitchen. You live in the best circumstances that your no doubt rather limited budget will allow. This may mean small spaces, many roommates, less than perfect neighborhoods, long walks to shopping and transportation, and various other inconveniences. That's life. There are however still better and worse options out there, and depending on what trade-offs you are willing to make, accommodations are commonly available in the area at less than $1000 per month.
Very true. But for some reason I was left with the impression by the OP that they were looking to live alone and in or very near the city. Outside of major metropolitan areas, once you graduate college and get a decent job, moving into your own place is generally the 1st big transition one makes to full adulthood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC