Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2015, 09:18 PM

4 posts, read 4,249 times

Advertisements

I am looking at a possible job in the area, commuting from wherever home ends up being to a set number of client companies (exact locations currently unknown). My salary will be 70-75k, I am not a young twenty-something (pushing 50), so social night life is not as important.

I am looking for suggestions on what areas to rent a preferably two-bedroom, must accept pets ( I have an older cat). I foresee a budget of maybe $2000 a month (I was in Silicon Valley at the height of the Dotcom boom, so no sticker shock on COL.)

So please suggestions, recommendations...

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 10:09 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,523,323 times
Well it depends on if you want an urban setting or a suburban setting and if you want to be in DC proper or the suburbs.

In DC proper, Capital Hill, Eastern Market and Georgetown are good areas for older people who are not looking for a lot of noisy nightlife and young people getting drunk on the weekends.

Options are endless if you are willing to live outside DC and commute.

Old 11-15-2015, 01:03 AM

4 posts, read 4,249 times
Georgetown looks decent. Thanks for the recommendation. Of the suburbs which would be more centrally located for the area?

Old 11-15-2015, 08:27 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,577,413 times
Very unlikely you'll find a two-bedroom for $2000 in an upscale neighborhood right in the city like Georgetown. $2,000 is actually more like the price for a ONE bedroom in Georgetown and many of the other nice parts of the city.

Really until you get a rough idea of where you'll be working, it's honestly almost impossible to give you good recommendations. I can't stress enough how awful the traffic is here. You really want to be as close as possible within just a few miles of where you'll be working. Like, you might find stuff in say Silver Spring, Maryland, that fits your budget and needs, but it's pointless to recommend if your work ends up mostly in Virginia. It might be only a few miles away as the crow flies but would still be a hellish commute due to traffic.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:46 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,719 times
On your salary you would not be able to afford a place in Georgetown even for a studio, it's the most expensive neighborhood in DC. I should note, 1 BR typically go for about what you are looking for inside DC. With that being said, you can get a place near Georgetown in Glover Park, which is more affordable and safe.

In terms of suburbs, look at Old Town Alexandria, and Bethesda. You may also want to look into Takoma (DC neighborhood) and Takoma Park.

I should note, in the DC area, in safe neighborhoods 2 BR usually run north of $2000. Unless you really want to push yourself far outside the core, into a less than safe neighborhood, really expect a 1 BR for that budget. Though those 1 BR might include a den.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:44 PM

13 posts, read 10,528 times
There are areas in Arlington, most likely south Arlington, where you can get a 2BR for $2000. How important is parking to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC