Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 06:55 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNgal View Post
Very expensive area. I assume my salary would be higher as well, but it still doesn't seem enough. At least not as a nurse right out of school with no experience. Maybe one day! I really liked DC
Don't listen to all the doom and gloom.

I have a friend who was living in his own apartment in a nice area (near K street) on 55K. He had no car and no student loans though.

Also, you're thinking short when you should be thinking long. Move to DC and tough it out for a year or two with roommates. Unless you're a home body, having roommates is no big deal. Your salary will increase and you will get the experience you need to make big money. That's what I did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 07:50 PM

76 posts, read 102,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Don't listen to all the doom and gloom.

I have a friend who was living in his own apartment in a nice area (near K street) on 55K. He had no car and no student loans though.

Also, you're thinking short when you should be thinking long. Move to DC and tough it out for a year or two with roommates. Unless you're a home body, having roommates is no big deal. Your salary will increase and you will get the experience you need to make big money. That's what I did.
Thanks, that's an idea.

Another option may be to live on the outskirts and work my way up perhaps? The VA side seems just as expensive, but the Maryland side based off some light research and reading seem more affordable. But I have no clue about that part of town as far as safety, apartments, etc goes. Maybe work in DC, live in MD. But, thinking about if I was commuting inside the city... that morning traffic! I'm from Houston so I'm used to traffic, but I swear it took longer to navigate around DC in it! Then again I was there for less than two weeks so I still don't know much about the area.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Thanks, that's an idea.

Another option may be to live on the outskirts and work my way up perhaps? The VA side seems just as expensive, but the Maryland side based off some light research and reading seem more affordable. But I have no clue about that part of town as far as safety, apartments, etc goes. Maybe work in DC, live in MD. But, thinking about if I was commuting inside the city... that morning traffic! I'm from Houston so I'm used to traffic, but I swear it took longer to navigate around DC in it! Then again I was there for less than two weeks so I still don't know much about the area.
As far as safe areas go.. pretty much anywhere the metro (subway) goes is fairly safe because the rent around metro lines is higher. There are a few exceptions though. I would avoid most of the Green line, and Eastern parts of the Orange, Blue and Silver lines.

http://wwwassets.rand.org/content/ra...2199569492.png

Montgomery County Maryland is pretty safe overall and it borders a good part of DC. I think Rockville is probably the best neighborhood for someone in your situation who wants to live alone. Silver Spring is good too, but it has a sketchy feel to it. It's safe, but you won't feel as safe as you would in Rockville. Just make sure you metro to work. Driving is pretty much not an option in the DC area unless you live very close to work or are willing to spend 4 hours in your car each day.

But honestly, I think you can make it work if you do some research. You should ask people on the Maryland forum about neighborhoods. Still I strongly suggest roommates for your first year here. Living in a new city alone can be very lonely and stressful. Its good to have roommates that can show you the city and help you out the first year. Plus, you save $$$. After a year your salary will go up as well.

It will be a big change from Houston though.

Old 11-17-2015, 02:51 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
As far as safe areas go.. pretty much anywhere the metro (subway) goes is fairly safe because the rent around metro lines is higher. There are a few exceptions though. I would avoid most of the Green line, and Eastern parts of the Orange, Blue and Silver lines.

http://wwwassets.rand.org/content/ra...2199569492.png

Montgomery County Maryland is pretty safe overall and it borders a good part of DC. I think Rockville is probably the best neighborhood for someone in your situation who wants to live alone. Silver Spring is good too, but it has a sketchy feel to it. It's safe, but you won't feel as safe as you would in Rockville. Just make sure you metro to work. Driving is pretty much not an option in the DC area unless you live very close to work or are willing to spend 4 hours in your car each day.

But honestly, I think you can make it work if you do some research. You should ask people on the Maryland forum about neighborhoods. Still I strongly suggest roommates for your first year here. Living in a new city alone can be very lonely and stressful. Its good to have roommates that can show you the city and help you out the first year. Plus, you save $$$. After a year your salary will go up as well.

It will be a big change from Houston though.
I would advise against Rockville, great for families, but boring for young people under 30 right out of school. Downtown Silver Spring is the better choice, it skews younger, and has more going on, it also has better access to DC and in general is more walkable. I actually think Rockville is a poor choice for somebody out of school, it is a really good way to end up socially isolated in this area. Not many young people live there, and the fact it's metro-rail only to get into DC during the weeknights means it can end up isolated when there is track closings. Silver Spring has great Bus access to the cities, so even when the metro is down, it's easy to get to places where there are things to do. Plus it's one of the more interesting areas outside of DC these days. Takoma Park is another good option for the same reasons as Silver Spring. If you can't move to DC or Arlington, Silver Spring is the best option these days.

My advice though is avoid areas with a Silver Spring address that are not in the downtown area close to the metro station there. Silver Spring addresses cover a wide area well outside the census designated space.

In terms of DC, avoid East of the River if you are new to the city. When you have lived here for awhile you can make that call.

Let me be perfectly clear, this is a city where if you can avoid driving do so. Many people here do not own cars in the city and walk, bike, or take public transit. Why? All are usually better option than driving.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:13 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,450,197 times
Remember, too, that many young people share houses/apartments. That way you can live in a better area on a smaller salary. There is also safety in numbers and a great way to meet/expand your social network.

Don't give up! It can be done if you want it to!
Best of luck.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:24 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,754,213 times
$100k plus. Single. No kids. No mortgage.

You want to live or you want to survive? Because you'll do better somewhere else.

Old 11-21-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokivos View Post
$100k plus. Single. No kids. No mortgage.

You want to live or you want to survive? Because you'll do better somewhere else.
If a single person has no debt, I think 60K would be more than enough to live comfortable alone. With enough roommates you would only need about 45K to live comfortable. To "survive" alone you would need about 50K living alone and about 35K with enough roommates.

If you need 100K to be comfortable then you probably have the same definition of "comfortable" that Donald Trump has.

Old 11-22-2015, 12:43 PM

Yeah... 100K is a little much. I don't think its necessary to make that much to live comfortably in most places!

Old 11-22-2015, 02:35 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,260 times
Quote:
Yeah... 100K is a little much. I don't think its necessary to make that much to live comfortably in most places!
It's an absolute necessity in SF, DC however is not there yet. But be warned, it's on that path.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
It's an absolute necessity in SF, DC however is not there yet. But be warned, it's on that path.
I can absolutely believe that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: