Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2015, 08:44 PM

2 posts, read 3,850 times

Advertisements

My property manager told me that if I want to terminate the lease early, I can pay 3 months worth of rent to do that. This is not specified in the lease, which leads me to think that this would be an informal "buyout": I pay 3 months penalty, and he would then agree to terminate the contract. But I have also read elsewhere (online etc) that landlords are supposed to "reasonably" attempt to re-rent out the property and after re-renting it, return the excess balance/profit that the original tenant paid. Since the penalty is supposed (at least theoretically) to be used to ensure the landlord does not lose out on rent, I highly doubt it takes 3 months to re-rent out the apartment. Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to reduce this penalty fee? Or is there nothing to be done since this is an informal "buyout"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 11:06 AM

912 posts, read 914,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal94704 View Post
My property manager told me that if I want to terminate the lease early, I can pay 3 months worth of rent to do that. This is not specified in the lease, which leads me to think that this would be an informal "buyout": I pay 3 months penalty, and he would then agree to terminate the contract. But I have also read elsewhere (online etc) that landlords are supposed to "reasonably" attempt to re-rent out the property and after re-renting it, return the excess balance/profit that the original tenant paid. Since the penalty is supposed (at least theoretically) to be used to ensure the landlord does not lose out on rent, I highly doubt it takes 3 months to re-rent out the apartment. Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to reduce this penalty fee? Or is there nothing to be done since this is an informal "buyout"?
What specifically does the lease say about termination? If it's not in the lease, you are not bound by arbitrary terms.

If the lease does outline a 3-month buyout, you can locate a qualified replacement tenant as an alternative.

Old 11-19-2015, 12:42 PM

9,877 posts, read 14,120,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal94704 View Post
But I have also read elsewhere (online etc) that landlords are supposed to "reasonably" attempt to re-rent out the property and after re-renting it, return the excess balance/profit that the original tenant paid.
Many states have statutes that require landlords to mitigate the damages; but I do not believe DC code has this.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:58 PM

2 posts, read 3,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName14289 View Post
What specifically does the lease say about termination? If it's not in the lease, you are not bound by arbitrary terms.

If the lease does outline a 3-month buyout, you can locate a qualified replacement tenant as an alternative.

The lease does not say anything really at all about what happens if I wish to terminate the contract. Which is why I think it's an "informal buyout" in the sense that if I pay three months rent on the side, then the landlord will agree to mutually terminate the lease.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:40 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,240 times
I think if you find a credit worthy person to sublet, you should get out for a lot less.

Old 11-20-2015, 01:01 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,836,155 times
You can take the landlords offer of a termination fee or you can break the lease and continue to pay rent for the full term of the lease. DC does not require the landlord to mitigate his damages by finding a replacement tenant. Make sure you get everything in writing.

"Int’l Comm'n on English in the Liturgy v. Schwartz, 573 A.2d 1303, 1306 (D.C.1990):

When tenants wrongfully abandon premises, landlords have three options: [1] [the landlords] could accept the abandonment and thereby terminate the lease; [2] they could, without acquiescing in the abandonment, re-enter and relet and hold the tenants for any deficiency in rent; or [3] they could refuse to re-enter, allow the premises to remain vacant, and hold the tenants for the full rent. Truitt v. Evangel Temple, Inc., 486 A.2d 1169, 1172 (D.C.1984) (quoting Cohen v. Food Town, Inc., 207 A.2d 122, 124 (D.C.1965)).

This is a commercial lease case, but the court did not distinguish between residential or commercial properties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC