Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 08:26 PM

26 posts, read 24,527 times

Advertisements

Hello,

As someone who has recently relocated to the area due to personal reasons, I am starting to look for work. I have a year of experience working in the real estate industry, with prior experience in radio and PR. What I am looking for currently is an entry level position in real estate, marketing, or public affairs. My search has not gone well, and I believe that coming here would be beneficial for me. I've reached out to people on LinkedIn, applied to jobs using my college career site as well as sites like indeed and glass door, and tried other avenues as well. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 03:00 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,727,487 times
I would spend some time setting up your resume in usajobs.gov. And then set up some searches in the relevant career fields, which for you are in series 1035 and 1082. Apply for as many as you're possibly qualified for and then forget about them; everyone gets tons of rejections (or, more accurately, applications that result in no news at all). You have to play the odds.

Also check out indeed.com.

A lot of print publications and nonprofits frequently have entry-level openings, because that's about all they can afford to pay.

Good luck.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:25 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,683 times
Try to narrow down what it is you want to do within those industries. Also, another good website to use is ZipRecruiter.com. I see entry level jobs all over the web when i'm looking, especially in RE. Stay positive.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:36 PM

Are there any blog sites like dcpublicaffairsblogspot that lists jobs that you wouldn't be able to find on the indeed' and glassdoor's of the world?

Old 12-18-2015, 01:57 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,683 times
Check out Idealist.com & Dcjobs.com

Old 12-19-2015, 04:43 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,808,981 times
you got your degrees and some knowledge but companies here want to hire exmpirenced people, not learners. but maybe go to your school and they should have career placement options. good luck.

Old 12-19-2015, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely40 View Post
Check out Idealist.com & Dcjobs.com
Any other DC only sites like dcjobs?

Old 12-22-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely40 View Post
Try to narrow down what it is you want to do within those industries. Also, another good website to use is ZipRecruiter.com. I see entry level jobs all over the web when i'm looking, especially in RE. Stay positive.
Is ZipRecruiter better than indeed and glassdoor?

Old 01-01-2016, 09:52 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,416,359 times
Despite the low unemployment rate, it is difficult to get a job here, even a low wage retail job.

I think it is just a matter of luck, I have seen people out of college throw out a mediocre resume with even obvious errors and get picked up for a professional position right away, and I have seen people that have excellent resumes, internships, the whole nine yards, even work experience and spend years trying to get a professional position and end up working retail the entire time. For example; I know someone who is an immigrant, get into DC, and get picked up for a admin assist job right away, the same month they got to the country, no college, nothing. Yet I know at the same a few looking for admin assist jobs, all college educated, have internships, and two even have experience as an admin assist, yet still nothing. It really is baffling and extremely frustrating for those who "did all the right things" yet still cannot get anything past retail or food service.

Go to the retail stores in the area, many college grads working there, all competing for a better job.

I do not know the magic formula for getting hired, I relocated here already employed, but I was fooled by the job market thinking family members could also get hired easily. All I can say is keep trying, you never know, you may get something this month, or three years from now. You will also be looking who has gotten the positions and think "how in the hell did they do it with their qualifications?"

Honestly, and this goes for the federal sector as well, I do not know how some people even got past the initial screening, their resumes in no way meet the minimum position requirements, it really is baffling to me. I know a lady at work who is a secretary, GS8, yet does not even know basic functions of Word, no relevant experience, no college degree, writes poorly, yet gets hired at a GS8? How?

Old 01-07-2016, 06:53 PM

251 posts, read 342,004 times
Contact temp and recruiting agencies for work. Even if you don't get a permanent position right away, temp or contract work are good resume builders and will keep you busy while looking for a more permanent job.

In the PR/Creative/Communications fields, try these agencies:
Aquent: https://aquent.com/
Creative Group: https://www.roberthalf.com/creativeg...shington,%20dc

Nonprofit field:
PNP Staffing: https://pnpstaffinggroup.com/
Idealist Volunteer, work, intern, organize, hire and connect. Change the world - idealist.org
Rework https://www.rework.jobs/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: