Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2016, 07:27 AM

20 posts, read 22,989 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband and I are under contract at a coop in NW DC (listing was not active, so I don't have any links to send). We knew the coop approval process was complicated, but it seems they ask for even more financial information than our bank is requesting. This worries me because I'm self-employed with only 1 year of full-time freelancing tax returns (next month I'll have 2 years full time, which makes me a "normal person" in the eyes of a bank). We spoke to 2 lenders, and one had no problem approving us for our desired loan amount, while the other said he couldn't approve us for a loan of more than $417k because of my status.

Since the coop asks for even more information than the bank does, I'm suddenly very worried that we will get to a week before closing, having given 30 days notice on our current apartment, and not receive coop approval.

Am I being paranoid?

Thanks!

Last edited by EllenUpt; 01-11-2016 at 07:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 08:30 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,998,265 times
Coops can be completely opaque in their approval process. No one here will be able to help you.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:56 AM

566 posts, read 1,557,810 times
I live in a coop and am part of the local coop association. In general, coops are significantly less restrictive in their screening process than in New York, but every building has its own process. If there is scrutiny, it's usually over a buyer's finances, whereas in New York, they scrutinize your social standing, who you're married to, etc. In my building, we always ask for extra documentation for self-employed buyers, and sometimes if the finances seem a little shaky, we'll ask the buyer to put up a few months of coop carrying charges into an escrow account in case there's a default.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:48 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,546,681 times
I live in a co-op, and the screening was pretty perfunctory. Everyone assured me that "this is not NYC." (Thank goodness!) Our co-op requires everyone, including cash sales, to be pre-qualified for a mortgage loan, just as a financial screen, and to keep a few months of fees in escrow.

I'd hazard a guess that their requests for additional information are just because their forms are out of date, not because they're suspicious about what you're hiding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC