Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2016, 10:55 AM

2,327 posts, read 2,181,517 times

Advertisements

Is it safe to walk on H St NW or I St NW around 8 pm on a Sunday night?

Then take the Blue line from Farragut West station to Springfield at around 11:30pm.

Only one person, is it a safe community during night time?
Attached Thumbnails
DC H street, or I street-dc.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 11:06 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,576,946 times
Yes

Old 01-17-2016, 04:43 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,260 times
Yes.

Old 01-17-2016, 04:45 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,260 times
I am still rather shocked though at how sheltered suburbanites think the whole city is this awful place, when most of the major problems are either in very specific parts of Ward 5 or East of the River. Otherwise it is some very specific spots where people in DC at this point know are problems.

This however is the business district, it's fine.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:25 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,531,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
I am still rather shocked though at how sheltered suburbanites think the whole city is this awful place, when most of the major problems are either in very specific parts of Ward 5 or East of the River. Otherwise it is some very specific spots where people in DC at this point know are problems.

This however is the business district, it's fine.
To their credit, some pretty horrific crimes happen even in the safest neighborhoods of DC. I've had a neighbor that was beaten with a bat in Georgetown. Of course there was that guy that was beaten almost to death in Eastern Market a couple years ago. I know it's anecdotal and west of the river it's pretty safe overall, but shady crap still happens in the safest parts of DC. I've seen robberies just blocks from the White House.

This is one of the main reasons I live in Arlington. When's the last time you heard of someone beaten with a bat in Arlington? Robberies are also way more common west of 14th in DC than in Arlington.

It's all relative. But again, I would still say H street NW is safe.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:54 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,996,763 times
News of crime and punishment across Arlington this week:
MALICIOUS WOUNDING:
* On Nov. 29 at 6:10 p.m., a man brandished a kitchen knife at one of his neighbors in the 2500 block of 20th Road North, police said.
The suspect – Robert Savidge – was arrested, charged with attempted malicious wounding and was held without bond.
* On Nov. 30 at 7:35 a.m., a man assaulted a woman in the 1300 block of Lee Highway by stabbing her with a butter knife, police said.
The suspect – Gary Lynn Champagne, 51, of no fixed address – was arrested and charged with malicious wounding.
The victim was transported to a local hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
ARMED ROBBERY:
* On Nov. 24 at 10:30 p.m., a 35-year-old man was approached from behind in the 200 block of 20th Street South and assaulted by a man who allegedly brandished a firearm.
There is no suspect description.
ROBBERY:
* On Dec. 9 between 3 and 7 a.m., a home in the 2500 block of Clarendon Boulevard was burglarized. A laptop computer and two cameras were taken.
* On Dec. 9 at 5:30 p.m., a 49-year-old man was punched several times and robbed of an undisclosed amount of cash during an altercation in the 3200 block of 24th Street South.
Investigation is ongoing.
ASSAULT-AND-BATTERY:
* On Nov. 26 at 2:15 a.m., a fight between two groups in the 3100 block of Washington Boulevard resulted in one male victim being knocked unconscious, police said.
Two suspects – James Donald Duffy III and Andrew Daniel Prescott – were arrested, charged with assault-and-battery and were released on their own recognizance.
The victim was transported to a local hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
ROBBERY:
* On Nov. 28 at 10:34 p.m., a man described by police as intoxicated entered a 7-Eleven in the 4900 block of Columbia Pike and stole a bottle of wine.
The suspect is described as a black male, in his 30s, 5’9” to 6 feet tall, weighing 170 to 190 pounds.
* On Dec. 1 at 3:20 p.m., two men robbed an 11-year-old boy of his cell phone in the 4000 block of 9th Street North.
Both suspects are described as black males, in their teens, 5’4” or 5’5”, 120 pounds.
* On Dec. 1 at 6 p.m., a 20-year-old man allegedly was struck in the back of the head with a gun and robbed in the 900 block of South George Mason Drive.

Old 01-19-2016, 04:04 PM

135 posts, read 145,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
To their credit, some pretty horrific crimes happen even in the safest neighborhoods of DC. I've had a neighbor that was beaten with a bat in Georgetown. Of course there was that guy that was beaten almost to death in Eastern Market a couple years ago. I know it's anecdotal and west of the river it's pretty safe overall, but shady crap still happens in the safest parts of DC. I've seen robberies just blocks from the White House.

It's very hard to convince people that drink MPD's kool-aid of this. People are always talking about SE this and NE that. In reality most of the city is under siege, including many of its trendiest neighborhoods. The people that don't believe that obviously don't leave their houses, read the newspaper or watch the news. In fact, most DC residents seem to agree with this.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...483_story.html

Capitol Hill Grappling with DC Crime Spike

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...nt-crime-2015/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...124_story.html

Washington DC Crime Rate 2015: Amid Gentrification, A Public Safety Crisis Worries Some Neighborhood Leaders, Police Union

NoMa Residents Demand End to Crime Wave | NBC4 Washington

Old 01-23-2016, 08:38 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,489,098 times
Very safe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: