Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 10:33 AM

3 posts, read 7,542 times

Advertisements

I live in the lower level of a condo building and I randomly hear vibration noise, which is very loud such that I wake up in the middle of night. It happens anytime during the day and night. The vibration lasts for about 15-30 minute when it happens, at least once or twice a day, or sometimes every other day.

It sounds like some pump pumping up, water or heat..? I have no idea since I don't know anything about construction.

I contact the building management and they said they don't really know. They mentioned this noise problem is everywhere (other condo buildings) and they are short in budget that they are not doing anything. It is hard to buy what they are saying if the noise occurs other buildings and they don't know what the noise is from.
They kept saying the board will look into the budget and see what they can do, next year.

It sounds very unfair since we are paying HOA every month and we paid a lot of money for the condo. Seems like our unit gets the most affected by the noise since we are in the lower level, right above the noise source.

I am extremely stressed that I get nervous every night going to bed worrying the noise will occur 3 or 4 am.

One noise possibility is from a restaurant, which is located right next to our unit in the same building. But when we checked with the restaurant, they had no idea what we were talking about..

At this point, I would love to seek for legal help but, but I am afraid that it will cost a lot and the problem won't be solved..

So I decided to write something here to see whether there are some recommendations, suggestions, ideas, etc.

Anything would be appreciated and helpful!

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 10:53 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,483,991 times
If you belong to a HOA, ask the other members. Some have probably been living there longer than you have and might know.

Depending on what season it is when you hear it, it could be a heat pump, a compressor, a furnace, or something else.

Unfortunately, this kind of thing is one of the issues with urban living. I live in a high-rise in Arlington and am dreading the summer because when everyone around me has their A/C going, the compressors cause enough collective vibration that it's like being on an airplane. Earplugs don't block it out, I can feel it through the carpet when I'm standing there in socks, and I can feel it in my legs when I'm in bed. If I put a glass of water on my coffee table, you can see the vibrations in the water. This building in particular is very loud. You can hear it loudest in the neighborhood. It's 24-7 in the dog days of summer, and I work at home, so I hope it's a long winter and a long, cool spring!

Old 01-24-2016, 12:11 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,578,978 times
Have you considered the possibility of an underground civilization living under your condo?

Old 01-24-2016, 07:37 PM

137 posts, read 252,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moffats4 View Post
I live in the lower level of a condo building and I randomly hear vibration noise, which is very loud such that I wake up in the middle of night. It happens anytime during the day and night. The vibration lasts for about 15-30 minute when it happens, at least once or twice a day, or sometimes every other day.

It sounds like some pump pumping up, water or heat..? I have no idea since I don't know anything about construction.

I contact the building management and they said they don't really know. They mentioned this noise problem is everywhere (other condo buildings) and they are short in budget that they are not doing anything. It is hard to buy what they are saying if the noise occurs other buildings and they don't know what the noise is from.
They kept saying the board will look into the budget and see what they can do, next year.

It sounds very unfair since we are paying HOA every month and we paid a lot of money for the condo. Seems like our unit gets the most affected by the noise since we are in the lower level, right above the noise source.

I am extremely stressed that I get nervous every night going to bed worrying the noise will occur 3 or 4 am.

One noise possibility is from a restaurant, which is located right next to our unit in the same building. But when we checked with the restaurant, they had no idea what we were talking about..

At this point, I would love to seek for legal help but, but I am afraid that it will cost a lot and the problem won't be solved..

So I decided to write something here to see whether there are some recommendations, suggestions, ideas, etc.

Anything would be appreciated and helpful!

Thank you!!
Yeah, you probably should just keep asking the HOA board.

Unfortunately, it seems like every condo building has its idiosyncracies. In mine there's an annoying sound from the garbage compactor chute, which thankfully people aren't supposed to use after around 11 (but it occasionally happens). But it sucks. In my old building (which was actually much newer construction) you could hear my hard-of-hearing neighbor's TV through one of the walls at all hours. Ugh.

There's bound to be something annoying, and it's one of the downsides to collective living arrangements. The upside is you have a board and you can bother the hell out of them.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:49 AM

429 posts, read 719,755 times
My first thought was that it might be a sump pump in the mechanical room. That would allow for the randomness.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:57 AM

I recorded sound.. if anyone has a good knowledge in this area, I can send it.. since I really have no idea what it is.. the management people think it might be from a dry sprinkler randomly running..

Old 01-25-2016, 10:52 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,159,396 times
How does what you spent on condo have to do with it? The prior owner got the money not the condo association.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:03 AM

3,978 posts, read 4,578,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moffats4 View Post
I recorded sound.. if anyone has a good knowledge in this area, I can send it.. since I really have no idea what it is.. the management people think it might be from a dry sprinkler randomly running..
It could be your neighbors doing their thang!

Old 01-26-2016, 06:47 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,159,396 times
Downside of a condo is getting other unit owners to agree to pay out of pocket to fix something that only effects one unit. I mean a leak or something yes. But getting a tree planted, getting a new dumpster to replace rusty one cause your unit faces etc. gets harder. That is where being on a board or active helps. The optional things.

Also I am on a board and it is all volunteer, if someone emailed me, told me exactly what problem was, cost to fix, got some bids and how it is in interest of building I would be very likely to say yes.

Someone tells me they hear a noise harder for me to say yes and maybe next time I am there or I would forward email to managing agent to look into.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:28 AM

Well, we pay HOA every month, which is for the building managing fee.
Since the noise is from the building, the money should be used to fix some problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC