Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 01:05 PM

7 posts, read 10,192 times

Advertisements

Ok so my wife and I work for the same company out of Pennsylvania and we have been offered the chance to relocate for better pay and a bigger promotion, the only issue is that the cities we have to choose from are either New York City and Washington DC and it would only be for about 3-4 years and we would relocate again to either Colorado/Utah/Nevada more permanently.

A little about us - We both work in marketing and our wage in both DC and NYC would be roughly $50,000 each, our boss said he would be willing to bump the pay up slightly if we go with New York City as it's cost of living is a bit higher than DC. Personally I really enjoy the time I have spent in New York City as has my wife but visiting a place compared to living there can be two different things entirely. As far as my visit to DC it was very short lived in that I had only stayed over a weekend in the Dupont Circle neighborhood and did not feel I really got a chance to feel out the driving/vibe of DC.

I like to consider myself and my wife to be a little more introverted, politically we are fairly indifferent and we're both into biking, playing tabletop games, occasional drinking and also very into trying new types of food and being in diverse atmospheres.

If we go with NYC we will mostly work in Manhattan and would like to live on a metro-line to get us to Manhattan but personally having a long train ride doesn't really matter much to me, if we end up going with DC we would both need cars as our job would take us to various locations between Alexandia VA and Silver Spring MD some not being on the DC metro line.

Basically I would just like some input on what everyone would think/suggest. Financially I think we could swing both places and we're looking in areas like Silver Spring MD if we go with DC and Astoria Queens if we go with NYC

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated as we don't know exactly what areas to look for for renting but I do want to mention we have 1 small dog, no cats, and no children so school district means nothing to us and never will as we would likely only stay in the city for a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 01:33 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,288,061 times
Really depends on what you want. NYC is the most interesting city in the US by far. But, it is also incredibly stressful to live there. I don't know many people that have lived in NYC and hated it People who hate it tend to know it and just avoid it all together. With NYC, you pretty much no what you are going to get: a global megacity of 8+ million jammed in a pretty small geographic area.

DC is a little more mixed. Some people find it too big, others too small, and many just right. NYC would be more of a "life experience" but I think day-to-day, DC offers a better quality of life. Lots of big city amenities, without as much of the hassles of NYC living. DC's not an inexpensive city, but it is a steal compared to NYC. You can have a much nicer home here for less money.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:33 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,971,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeniwea View Post
the only issue is that the cities we have to choose from are either New York City and Washington DC and it would only be for about 3-4 years and we would relocate again to either Colorado/Utah/Nevada more permanently.

A little about us - We both work in marketing and our wage in both DC and NYC would be roughly $50,000 each, our boss said he would be willing to bump the pay up slightly if we go with New York City as it's cost of living is a bit higher than DC.

I like to consider myself and my wife to be a little more introverted, politically we are fairly indifferent and we're both into biking, playing tabletop games, occasional drinking and also very into trying new types of food and being in diverse atmospheres.

Basically I would just like some input on what everyone would think/suggest. Financially I think we could swing both places and we're looking in areas like Silver Spring MD if we go with DC and Astoria Queens if we go with NYC

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated as we don't know exactly what areas to look for for renting but I do want to mention we have 1 small dog, no cats, and no children so school district means nothing to us and never will as we would likely only stay in the city for a few years.
This is an actual rea easy one. You have two options- you can be a “go with the flow” and hope that DC brings to you some value or, you can pack your bags and head to NYC. Based on your first post, you are not worried about living arrangements, schooling, and the fluff as much. Furthermore, you will be moving to Nevada/Colorado permanently. Therefore, what better way to take advantage of your resources in the field that you are in- Marketing!!

Marketing as you know, requires creativity and using the various means in establishing memorable presence in the market place for the business in areas such as: TV, Print, Websites, etc. You have ESPN, Madison Square Garden and New York is without a doubt the largest media market in North America- hands down-(as you know). Living in Astoria is merely a 15 min train ride over the bridge into Brooklyn and Manhattan as well as the Bronx. The amount diversity in Queens is insane- up to 100 countries represent Queens, NY. Plus, you have all of NJ Jersey and all of the Boroughs a train ride away.

But, you can always come to DC and travel 4 hours to visit NY every few months and be cozy and enjoy a nice quite life in Silver Spring MD.

My opinion, get the best out of life when given the opportunity- especially when it comes to work and experience and it being finanically feasible. It’s not that DC is bad but each city has its own strengths and currently you are in a terrific position to be in one of the world’s leading Market when it comes to YOUR JOB. Just consider the valuable experience over "convenience". It will pay out in the long run.

Old 02-04-2016, 04:00 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,260 times
Considering you work in marketing NYC may be the better choice. I love DC, but this is a good city if you work in something else other than marketing. It depends on whether this is a temporary endeavor, a a long lasting one where you plan on eventually living. If it's temporary, NYC. Considering the pay though, it may be a struggle either way, but especially in NYC.

Old 02-05-2016, 02:43 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,684,900 times
I've lived in both cities. $50K a year for each of you? Not very much money at all, but if that's all there is, you could probably have a better quality of life in the DC area. Keep in mind, though, that the DC traffic is terrible, so you might not have much quality, whichever city you chose.

Old 02-05-2016, 02:44 PM

490 posts, read 650,063 times
Move to Texas.

Old 02-05-2016, 04:09 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,765,692 times
For me it would come down to the exact location of where' I'd be working. One spot in DC might mean bad traffic, no parking, and expensive rent, another might mean reverse commute, cheap rent, and ample parking. Same applies to NYC. Work right next Penn station? You can take a 45 min(?) train from NW Jersey with very cheap rent. Another part of Manhattan could mean two transfers on the subway after getting off NJ Transit and a half mile walk.

Last edited by smarterguy; 02-05-2016 at 04:44 PM..

Old 02-06-2016, 08:07 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,856 times
50K will go farther in DC. Also, DC is generally an easier city to live in than NYC.

However, NYC offers endless options and more exciting things to do. As others have said, DC will have a better day-to-day quality of life. But NYC will be more of an "experience".

I think your choice comes down more to whether you prefer more excitement or more comfort.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:06 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,336,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeniwea View Post
Ok so my wife and I work for the same company out of Pennsylvania and we have been offered the chance to relocate for better pay and a bigger promotion, the only issue is that the cities we have to choose from are either New York City and Washington DC and it would only be for about 3-4 years and we would relocate again to either Colorado/Utah/Nevada more permanently.

A little about us - We both work in marketing and our wage in both DC and NYC would be roughly $50,000 each, our boss said he would be willing to bump the pay up slightly if we go with New York City as it's cost of living is a bit higher than DC. Personally I really enjoy the time I have spent in New York City as has my wife but visiting a place compared to living there can be two different things entirely. As far as my visit to DC it was very short lived in that I had only stayed over a weekend in the Dupont Circle neighborhood and did not feel I really got a chance to feel out the driving/vibe of DC.

If we go with NYC we will mostly work in Manhattan and would like to live on a metro-line to get us to Manhattan but personally having a long train ride doesn't really matter much to me, if we end up going with DC we would both need cars as our job would take us to various locations between Alexandia VA and Silver Spring MD some not being on the DC metro line.

NYC is much better experience for marketing and all things related (media, advertising, sales, PR, etc.) than DC. It seems like every other person living here works in those industries.

Remember, you may think that your next move is to relocate (NYC/DC) for a few years and then head west with the same company but life doesn't always go according to plan. You may get fired, find a new opportunity, switch fields, etc. If you're in the marketing field (at least for now), NYC is the place to be.

NYC is a more social and outgoing city but your and your wife have each other in case you don't make as many new friends (I've found doing this quite difficult in both locations, especially the further you are beyong college age). A combined income of ~120K will be sufficient. I didn't like DC at all -- people living there think they're so important b/c of the work they do when it's that work and Washington DC in general that have run the US into the ground. At least people here are producing more than just hot air.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:59 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
NYC is much better experience for marketing and all things related (media, advertising, sales, PR, etc.) than DC. It seems like every other person living here works in those industries.

Remember, you may think that your next move is to relocate (NYC/DC) for a few years and then head west with the same company but life doesn't always go according to plan. You may get fired, find a new opportunity, switch fields, etc. If you're in the marketing field (at least for now), NYC is the place to be.

NYC is a more social and outgoing city but your and your wife have each other in case you don't make as many new friends (I've found doing this quite difficult in both locations, especially the further you are beyong college age). A combined income of ~120K will be sufficient. I didn't like DC at all -- people living there think they're so important b/c of the work they do when it's that work and Washington DC in general that have run the US into the ground. At least people here are producing more than just hot air.
I'm getting tired of people making the ignorant and inaccurate claim that the people of Washington DC are responsible for running the U.S. into the ground. That is complete crap and unless you can provide some kind of solid evidence you should just never say it.

Individual politicians that are bought by special interests are who run the U.S. into the ground. This includes people are Wall street who happen to be in NYC. The PEOPLE of DC have nothing to do with it. So stop with the lies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: