Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 03:29 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,747,185 times

Advertisements

Thoughts?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...ce1_story.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 06:04 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,531,569 times
I'm surprised there's even 300 left. I feel like I never even see Chinese people in Chinatown. Interesting article though -- most people don't know that Chinatown was a German neighborhood before it became Chinatown. There is actually a German-American Museum on 6th Street.

It might help if there was actually a DC staple Chinese restaurant in Chinatown ala Ben's Chili Bowl. The "historic" Chinatown Garden has 2.5 stars on Yelp. This is the main reason I've never eaten Chinese Food in Chinatown.

On a side note, I saw the Wizards created an alternative jersey with Chinese Lettering on it. It made me laugh -- what a sham.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:22 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,786,272 times
There were more back in the 70s and 80s, but it was more of an enclave than a thriving neighborhood. In other words, it was not like the respective Chinatowns of New York or San Francisco. It resembled Italian Harlem, gradually shrinking away.

The restaurants back then were good though, especially Dim Sum at the Silver Palace.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:08 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,489,313 times
I wonder what will become of that apartment hi rise in Chinatown that s lot of the senior Chinese live in? Development is encroaching in that block slowly but surely. But I disagree that Chinatown Garden doesn't have good food, it's pretty good considering it one of the few original Chinese places left. Tony Cheng's is ok.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:08 AM

126 posts, read 117,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
On a side note, I saw the Wizards created an alternative jersey with Chinese Lettering on it. It made me laugh -- what a sham.
It's because they are celebrating the Chinese New Year not bc the arena is in Chinatown and their not the only NBA team to be wearing Chinese New Year jerseys.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:59 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,546,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
There were more back in the 70s and 80s, but it was more of an enclave than a thriving neighborhood. In other words, it was not like the respective Chinatowns of New York or San Francisco. It resembled Italian Harlem, gradually shrinking away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by choccity View Post
I wonder what will become of that apartment hi rise in Chinatown that s lot of the senior Chinese live in?
DC was never a huge entrepot for Chinese immigrants, and Chinatown at its residential peak only had a few thousand residents. The Wah Luck House building is owned by the National Housing Partnership and the land by the Consolidated Chinese Benevolent Association, so it's in good hands.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
DC was never a huge entrepot for Chinese immigrants, and Chinatown at its residential peak only had a few thousand residents. The Wah Luck House building is owned by the National Housing Partnership and the land by the Consolidated Chinese Benevolent Association, so it's in good hands.
True. As I said, an "Enclave".

Old 02-08-2016, 08:23 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,289,289 times
It would be nice if DC had a small organic Chinatown on par with Philly or Boston. But, really this is just a symptom of the larger problem with downtown DC. The downtown is basically a sea of unremarkable 10-story office buildings, with a token mix of "upscale residential units." Personally, I blame the height limit for turning central DC into an office park. A high rise district could have accommodated office growth while preserving the more organic pre-war downtown. But, at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter what the cause is. DC will just never have a great mixed use center city.

The charm of the city is located in it's central row house neighborhoods. Personally, I'm not surprised our central Chinatown is gradually losing out to office development. I'm more surprised we never developed a Flushing or Sunset Park type immigrant neighborhoods in the outer-District neighborhoods. I get DC is expensive, but so is NYC, SF, Bos. All three of them have a bigger immigrant population than DC.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
It would be nice if DC had a small organic Chinatown on par with Philly or Boston. But, really this is just a symptom of the larger problem with downtown DC. The downtown is basically a sea of unremarkable 10-story office buildings, with a token mix of "upscale residential units." Personally, I blame the height limit for turning central DC into an office park. A high rise district could have accommodated office growth while preserving the more organic pre-war downtown. But, at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter what the cause is. DC will just never have a great mixed use center city.

The charm of the city is located in it's central row house neighborhoods. Personally, I'm not surprised our central Chinatown is gradually losing out to office development. I'm more surprised we never developed a Flushing or Sunset Park type immigrant neighborhoods in the outer-District neighborhoods. I get DC is expensive, but so is NYC, SF, Bos. All three of them have a bigger immigrant population than DC.
We did. They're called Rockville and Annandale.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:01 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,772,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post

Residential or hotel is the #1 type of development being built in Chinatown. This is also true for Mt. Vernon Triangle, Northwest One, NOMA, Union Market, Union Station, H Street, Capital Riverfront, Buzzard Point, SW Wharf, Waterfront Station, and the SW Eco District.

No disrespect, but you seem to be oblivious to D.C.'s current and future development pipeline. Central DC has shifted east. Central DC based on the pipeline and new zoning commission boundaries consists of Penn Quarter, Mt. Vernon Triangle, NOMA, Union Market, Union Station, SW Eco District, The Wharf, Waterfront Station, Capital Riverfront, and Buzzard Point.

Old City will include the older western parts of DC including Foggy Bottom, Dupont Circle, Midtown, and Golden Triangle which is where the office development you are referring to is located. I know for many of you that are new here, imagining what DC will be at full built out is difficult. Most people just see what they see today. The new central DC will have neighborhoods with the highest density DC has ever seen.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 02-08-2016 at 12:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC