Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 09:20 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times

Advertisements

We are driving the family down to DC in early April to catch the cherry blossoms and a Capitals game (primary reason) at Verizon Center. I haven't been there in years but the last time we went, we stayed at a hotel and the metro took us right there (was MCI Center).

My questions for a Thurs-Sat stay, we are thinking of doing airbnb for ~$125 but it doesn't provide a lot of options that are along the metro. Are the areas way north or way east of Verizon safe? See attached. It looks like college-ready rentals everywhere. Do people/tourists prefer to use the metro for everything in DC? We have to consider all the common tourist sites - are they drive-able and parking readily available? Thinking it's ok to stay at a place many blocks from the metro as long as it's only 1 or 2 times we are using it, and it's a safe walk. Maybe we can do across the river in Arlington instead, but that's a 20+ minute metro ride?

How many days do you think is sufficient for all the sights? 1 for the game is the day we get there. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
DC weekend trip questions-capture.jpg  

Last edited by ovi8; 02-17-2016 at 09:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 09:27 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,529,890 times
Get a place in Ballston, Arlington. Parking is easy and it's on the Orange/Silver and you can walk the 4 blocks down to the Verizon Center from Metro Center (15 minute ride).

Most importantly, you can walk to the Capitals Practice at the Kettler IcePlex inside the Ballston Mall. I assume you're going to the game on April 7th -- the Capitals will practice at the Kettlers IcePlex on the 6th at 10:30 am and possibly again on the 7th. Great way to get autographs.

This place looks good and cheap: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1012677...016&s=aT4sXQLx.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:37 AM

2,682 posts, read 2,180,607 times
Better east of Verizon than north, tho both directions start to get a little dodgy after a while. I agree that staying in nearby No Va is a good idea.

How long to sightsee really depends on what interests you. If "all the sites" includes most of the usual tourist spots (White House, Wash Monument, Mall, Memorials, FBI Bldng, 2-3 museums, etc) it would take about a week unless you just plan to run from one place to the other. Bear in mind the weather doesn't always cooperate. So try to narrow it down before you get here.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:51 AM

Thx for info - I did want to catch a practice at Kettler but we can't get there any sooner than the 7th at noon (yes the Pens game). I am hoping they are practicing possibly the 8th before leaving town Saturday the 9th for the next game in STL? I couldn't find a practice schedule.

It appears it's a 20+ min metro ride from Arlington but we'll do it if that's safer. Hotels are crazy expensive (I should know that being in NY) and availability dates are lacking, so they're out.

So the tourist sites - I'm thinking just the main ones so long as we don't have to jump around too much in a day - the kids will get tired, which is why I thought it'd be better to drive. I doubt there's parking and everyone metro's it? Doesn't look like there's a rider's day pass? I think we'll cut it off on Saturday morning (that rental required Sat night too) and drive the 5hrs home from there. Leaving Sunday is still a possibility though.

Last edited by ovi8; 02-17-2016 at 10:00 AM..

Old 02-17-2016, 10:03 AM

6 posts, read 4,777 times
It's best if you group things. See all monuments at the same time, go to a few smithsonian said on the same day, fords theater and the portraiture gallery on the same day if you into that

I think four days is a typical visit you just have to plan what you will do.

Old 02-17-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Thx for info - I did want to catch a practice at Kettler but we can't get there any sooner than the 7th at noon (yes the Pens game). I am hoping they are practicing possibly the 8th before leaving town Saturday the 9th for the next game in STL? I couldn't find a practice schedule.

It appears it's a 20+ min metro ride from Arlington but we'll do it if that's safer. Hotels are crazy expensive (I should know that being in NY) and availability dates are lacking, so they're out.

So the tourist sites - I'm thinking just the main ones so long as we don't have to jump around too much in a day - the kids will get tired, which is why I thought it'd be better to drive. I doubt there's parking and everyone metro's it? Doesn't look like there's a rider's day pass? I think we'll cut it off on Saturday morning (that rental required Sat night too) and drive the 5hrs home from there. Leaving Sunday is still a possibility though.
The practice schedule doesn't come out that far in advance. I just know personally that they almost always practice at 10:30 am. They should have a practice on the 8th. Ultimately it's up to the coach -- he may want to reward them with a day off if they have good game Saturday. Check this website a couple days before and look at the "Caps Today" article -- it will have the team schedule for the next three days: http://capitalstoday.monumentalnetwork.com/.

Parking is not readily available at all the monuments (some are very isolated). Parking is fairly easy near the museums, but I'm hesitant to tell you to drive. The parking rules are myriad and confusing for tourists. Make sure you read all the signs when you park and if you're the only car parked on the block, you probably shouldn't be parked there. Cars get towed if you're parked on a major street during rush hour when you're not supposed to be (there are signs).

I would just take Metro to Smithsonian which is walkable to most of the Smithsonian Museums. If you want to go see the Lincoln, Jefferson, MLK, Vietnam Memorials, take this $1 bus (uses same pass as trains) and it will drop you off right in front of them: http://nationalmall.dccirculator.com/#route-anchor. Metro doesn't sell day passes and it's about $2-$3 per trip per person.

Those Air BnB places you had in that picture aren't in the best neighborhoods and aren't walking distance to Metro. That's why I suggested Arlington -- you will get better bang for your buck (safer too) and it's only 3 miles from downtown.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:38 AM

Looks like we're just going to do the 2 nights (1 full day of sightseeing). Still hoping to catch the Caps at Kettler the following morning too - if practice (assuming that's similar to a morning skate) is at 1015am, how long does it run and do we have to catch them coming off the ice for autographs? Or when they come out of the building?

Old 02-18-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Looks like we're just going to do the 2 nights (1 full day of sightseeing). Still hoping to catch the Caps at Kettler the following morning too - if practice (assuming that's similar to a morning skate) is at 1015am, how long does it run and do we have to catch them coming off the ice for autographs? Or when they come out of the building?
I think it's about an hour. You wait in the parking garage for them to come out the players entrance.

You can just drive to the facility if you want -- the practice facility is on the top floor of the garage on level 7. It's only $1 for like 2 hour parking.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:30 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Get a place in Ballston, Arlington. Parking is easy and it's on the Orange/Silver and you can walk the 4 blocks down to the Verizon Center from Metro Center (15 minute ride).

Most importantly, you can walk to the Capitals Practice at the Kettler IcePlex inside the Ballston Mall. I assume you're going to the game on April 7th -- the Capitals will practice at the Kettlers IcePlex on the 6th at 10:30 am and possibly again on the 7th. Great way to get autographs.

This place looks good and cheap: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1012677...016&s=aT4sXQLx.
Sorry to interrupt , but do you know when the caps practice? Is there a certain time every day they practice and are open to the pubic?

Old 02-21-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Sorry to interrupt , but do you know when the caps practice? Is there a certain time every day they practice and are open to the pubic?
They don't practice everyday and there definitely not in DC everyday. If they go on a long road trip, they will practice in other cities rather than fly home.

On gamedays, they usually practice at around 10:30 and on non-gamedays, they will practice later at like 11:30 or 12:30. Check the Kettler IcePlex schedule that they have online or call them to confirm practice times. Make sure you confirm before leaving if youre driving long distance because the coach can and does cancel practice at the last minute.

Here's the schedule this week FYI:

Sunday-Off
Monday-10:15 practice
Tuesday-11:30 practice
Wednesday-10:15 practice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC