Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2016, 08:05 PM

86 posts, read 206,785 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm going to be moving to DC over the summer, to being work on my PhD at George Washington University. I'm from New York, currently live in Vermont, and know absolutely nothing about where to look for housing. I don't know which areas are safe, and which areas to avoid. I should note that I am a 23 year-old male.

In general, I'd probably like to be within a few miles of the University. It would be nice to be close, although I realize given its location that it would be rather expensive. I would be fine with maybe a 45 minutes to an hour walk, or being two or three metro stops away. I'd prefer not to be much further than that, though I recognize that this may not be realistic.

I do not have a tremendously large budget, but given my impending workload I do intend to live on my own. Would it be possible to find a place in the range of 1100-1300 a month perhaps (not including utilities)?

Anyway, if anyone can give me some neighborhoods to look into, that would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 10:59 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,260 times
Two or three metro stops away is still going to be very expensive. This is just to warn you, the area is by no means cheap. It should be noted, those areas include the prime areas of Arlington and DC. This is not a city where there is a very expensive area surrounded by cheap areas, it's very expensive everywhere. The nature of DC is pretty radical too, it is either fairly affluent or poor. There is very little inbetween, and those few inbetween areas are shifting towards fairly affluent quickly. Where GW is is one of the most affluent areas there is. A few miles from GW is still very expensive, because a few miles from GW is Northern Arlington, Georgetown, and Dupont Circle.

My advice, find a roomate, with your budget you can get closer to where you are heading, maybe even something in your price range. I should also stress 1100-1300 is not going to find yourself anywhere safe if you are living on your own. Most apartments in DC west of the river, and the better inner burbs start at $1500+ for a studio. Even then this is if you are lucky.

The best advice is to avoid east of the river in DC. Taking this is GW, living in Arlington on the Blue or Orange line may be your best bet. Even then it will be tough.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:50 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,856 times
DistrictSonic is correct.

For living on your own, your budget will have to be around $1500 minimum for a safe area. GW borders Georgetown which is well known as the richest and snottiest area of DC.

However, if you are willing to have just one roommate, your $1100-1300 range is more than enough for living in a good area and a nice building with great amenities.

The first area I would suggest for you is Glover Park. Its a unique area because its still pretty cheap, yet its very close to GW. Just a short bus ride and the buses come very frequently and run very late. Walking from Glover Park to GW would probably take you 30-45 minutes.

Also, keep in mind that good deals go fast. You can literally find something, call the leasing office and make a same-day appointment.. then have the unit gone by the time you arrive. This is more true in the summer months than any other time because EVERYONE moves in the summer. The good part is more things become available as people move out, but they go fast as people move in. You really have to hustle. When you find something there is no time to "think" about if you like it or not.. you have to grab it or it will be gone.

Old 03-13-2016, 01:10 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,531,051 times
$1300 is like the breaking point between something habitable and something that will have roach/mouse infestation. For example, you can get an apartment in Arlington with a short walk to Metro at Ballston Park Apartments or River Place Apartments for about $1200, but you will sacrifice with a likely roach infestation.

The best website for affordable places in Arlington: www.arlingtonurbanrentals.com. Usually they have places on there for $1300 and $1400 and all their properties are clean.

Also, ocassionally on Craigslist, an English Basement will show up in Capitol Hill for about $1,300.

Old 03-13-2016, 02:11 PM

In general is seems (unless I am mistaken) that I ought to avoid the east side of DC. As for the west side of DC and in Arlington, are there any areas in particular to avoid?

Old 03-13-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red4tribe View Post
In general is seems (unless I am mistaken) that I ought to avoid the east side of DC. As for the west side of DC and in Arlington, are there any areas in particular to avoid?
You are mistaken in general. You need to avoid "east of the river", not eastern DC in general. There is a distinction here, a granularity that is important. This is the difference between those who know the city and do not. The east side of DC includes capital hill and eastern market, which are in the eastern part of DC, but are west of the river. Those two areas which you would be okay and are safe. Actually they are really nice neighborhoods. As somebody suggested you may luck out with an English basement in the Capital Hill neighborhood.

Most of DC "west of the river" is fine. Just be conscious of the river.

The key here is what side of the Anacostia river you are on.

There are some not so great areas west of the river, including with a NW address (Brightwood Park), and some perfectly fine areas east of it (Hillcrest), but in general, it's not the eastern vs western, but the river itself. It is the real dividing line. It used to be the park, but that has changed since gentrification. This is why it's important to use google maps when searching. But that is the thing you really have to be comfortable with DC to take those risks.

In terms of west of the river areas to avoid: Carver Langston is probably the worst area West of the River. Otherwise it is some very specific spots like the intersection of NY ave and North Capital that should be avoided.

Old 03-13-2016, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
You are mistaken in general. You need to avoid "east of the river", not eastern DC in general. There is a distinction here, a granularity that is important. This is the difference between those who know the city and do not. The east side of DC includes capital hill and eastern market, which are in the eastern part of DC, but are west of the river. Those two areas which you would be okay and are safe. Actually they are really nice neighborhoods. As somebody suggested you may luck out with an English basement in the Capital Hill neighborhood.

Most of DC "west of the river" is fine. Just be conscious of the river.

The key here is what side of the Anacostia river you are on.

There are some not so great areas west of the river, including with a NW address (Brightwood Park), and some perfectly fine areas east of it (Hillcrest), but in general, it's not the eastern vs western, but the river itself. It is the real dividing line. It used to be the park, but that has changed since gentrification. This is why it's important to use google maps when searching. But that is the thing you really have to be comfortable with DC to take those risks.

In terms of west of the river areas to avoid: Carver Langston is probably the worst area West of the River. Otherwise it is some very specific spots like the intersection of NY ave and North Capital that should be avoided.
Thanks for the clarification. And for Arlington? Are there any areas in particular to avoid?

Old 03-13-2016, 04:24 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,576,946 times
If you insist on living alone with your budget you are going to be looking at a long commute, a dangerous area or an apartment that is in terrible shape (or some combination of the three). I would seriously rethink living on your own and instead find some roommates on Craigslist. If you do that you could live in Foggy Bottom or Dupont and walk to the university which would save you a lot of time and money. Studio apartments aren't likely near GW for under $1,300... more like $1500 to $1600 and up.

Old 03-13-2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red4tribe View Post
Thanks for the clarification. And for Arlington? Are there any areas in particular to avoid?
Nope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: