Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 07:09 AM

219 posts, read 877,919 times

Advertisements

Why does every pet friendly apartment in the DC metro area I've seen thus far take advantage of pet owners??? I can TOTALLY understand charging an additional refundable pet deposit, or maybe even a small initial pet fee (they do leave a smell and hair in hard to clean places). But for all these apartments to charge upwards of a $700 pet fee, $50 a month pet rent AND the deposit, is a bit much. What am I paying pet rent for? They don't charge additional rent for babies. Newborn baby rent. Sure they smell better, but it's a little rediculous. Anyone know of a nice pet friendly apartment complex that doesnt charge these foolish tack on fees??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 07:29 AM

593 posts, read 2,439,841 times
My guess is that they charge "pet rent"
a) because they want to make extra $$
b) to discourage lots of people from having pets. Don't get me wrong--I love cats and dogs! But I can see how it would cause problems if there were tons of them all in a small building.

But I'm sure you can find a place that caters to pet owners...I remember seeing a bunch of pet-friendly apartment search sites when I was looking for an apartment. I'd try these for starters, and see which ones have the fewest pet "charges"

Pet Friendly Apartments for Rent - Search dog apartments and cat friendly rentals | MyNewPlace

Apartments.com - Find Apartments For Rent Free Among the Most Visual Rental Listings

Good luck!

Old 04-09-2009, 07:37 AM

57 posts, read 386,158 times
There are plenty of apartments that I know of that will allow you to bring your pet but it is usually in the least desirable of neighborhoods to live in. (oh.. wait. You said "nice" also)

Unfortunately with busier schedules and more to do in a day for the average American, too many people are neglecting their pets and/or the cleanliness of the unit. My cousin who used to be a rental manager said that when they allowed pets in his complex, the place was like a zoo with all of the barking echoing in the hallways and dogs on leashes wanting to lunge out at people leaving the elevator. He said that there was even one tenant who kept his dog in the house 24/7 and used the spare bedroom as a place where the dog did his business.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:03 AM

180 posts, read 667,226 times
It's to discourage 2 things: number of pets per building, and "types" of pet owners. I've run into the same thing in other cities.

As for the first: A dog here, a few cats there isn't a big deal. If you've ever lived in a building with a ton of dogs & cats, though, the smell and noise can be quite bad and makes the building less desirable.

As for the second: There are also pet owners who let the animals ruin an apartment. Responsible pet owners pay a premium to make up for the people who's dog scratches up the bathroom door from being shut up or poops on the carpet, cats that tear up blinds, etc. People can be very irresponsible with rentals, and the rest of us pay for it.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:42 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,715,998 times
It's mainly to discourage people from getting pets and to get a few bucks. When I was looking at places I had a leasing agent blatantly tell me that pet rent is a "scam". The deposit makes sense, but to pay additional rent is just a way to squeeze out more money (as the agent put it, they don't turn up the heat or rack up the electric bill, so there's really no point--it'd make more sense to charge extra for a 2nd or 3rd person living there).

For my first apartment I just neglected to mention it to my leasing office when I got a cat, and my new landlord didn't bother with rent or a deposit (she used to have a cat and figures she can't do too much damage). In the event she does mess up something, it'll just come out of our security deposit and I'll reimburse my roommate.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:30 AM

110 posts, read 269,017 times
This is why we avoid the large managed apartment buildings, they nickel and dime you out of everything. You will have your best luck avoiding "pet rent" by going with individual owners (condos) or small apartment buildings, at least that has been our experience. Individual owners are either going to allow pets or not; if not then obviously you don't get to live there, if they do you will only typically be charged an extra pet deposit (our current place didn't even ask us for that).

Old 06-25-2010, 03:52 PM

3 posts, read 25,209 times
pet "deposits" are going to cover the expenses of "damage done to the apartment due to pets: pet stains in carpet and pad, scratched doors, chewed baseboards etc......

pet "fees", which are a one time charge, are going to cover the extra costs of services that have to be completed at move out due to a pet bing there no matter if they damage the apartment or not: deep pet hair removal (more than a vacumn could ever do), pet odor removal, etc. in case the next person moving in is allergic to animals.... only a minimal amount of a pet fee is actually brought in as extra income for the community

Pet "rent" however is rediculous... coming from someone in the business.... pet rent is charged every month no matter how long you live there. After the first year the apartment community is pretty much ripping you off.

Think of it this way:
1 time charge of pet fee: $300
monthly pet rent: $25

:::: you pay more upfront for the pet fee @ $300 however, after a year of pet rent at $25 monthly you have spent $300 anyway.... then they continue to charge you $25 every month after that... after 2 yrs. you've spent $600, 3 yrs. $900, etc.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:20 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,905,304 times
At least here you have the option of having the companionship of a pet just by paying a little bit more. Most places I've lived LLs didn't charge extra fees--they just didn't allow pets at all.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:50 PM

3 posts, read 16,676 times
If you get your animal registered as a Emotional support animal (Like a service animal but without real classes or training) IN DC, its considered a wheel chair and not a pet. I did it with my poodle. Went online, googled it. Ordered the documentation needed and got a letter from my therapyst which is NOT NEEDED in DC but helped and my Sophia was in rent free and no deposit. The building did not allow any dogs...I was the first and then other neighbors also got them as well

Old 02-08-2012, 01:58 PM

229 posts, read 515,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGenevese View Post
If you get your animal registered as a Emotional support animal (Like a service animal but without real classes or training) IN DC, its considered a wheel chair and not a pet. I did it with my poodle. Went online, googled it. Ordered the documentation needed and got a letter from my therapyst which is NOT NEEDED in DC but helped and my Sophia was in rent free and no deposit. The building did not allow any dogs...I was the first and then other neighbors also got them as well
Are you kidding me. Were I your landlord, I would have crumpled up your "documentation" and flung it back at you and Sophia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC