Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2016, 01:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,077 times

Advertisements

I want to move to DC by late Summer 2016 (I want sooner but a lot depends on several things .. possibly...either way I'm coming. No, I'm not a student. I really would like straightforward unbiased answers if possible. I hope no one sends me crazy responses. I AM doing my homework, and checking job opportunities best neighborhoods and etc. But if I don't have a Master's Degree, but have 10yrs Customer Service via call centers and Civil Service Admin jobs training of is it still possible to earn a good income in DC...? Also what is the best area to live in that is supposedly 20-30 via bus/train commute daily or weekdays to the city. Good reply or responses will be appreciated. I am looking to rent or share .. not buying right now...just rent or share apt. I am also as I stated earlier pretty up on different sites to get a lot of my info.. but still it doesn't hurt to get other's insight. Thank you in advance.
I like culture.. shopping centers "some night life" .. I'm over 30yrs old but I have a young heart..
so a good upbeat atmosphere is important.
Thanks again!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 01:42 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineWhitley2016 View Post
I want to move to DC by late Summer 2016 (I want sooner but a lot depends on several things .. possibly...either way I'm coming. No, I'm not a student. I really would like straightforward unbiased answers if possible. I hope no one sends me crazy responses. I AM doing my homework, and checking job opportunities best neighborhoods and etc. But if I don't have a Master's Degree, but have 10yrs Customer Service via call centers and Civil Service Admin jobs training of is it still possible to earn a good income in DC...? Also what is the best area to live in that is supposedly 20-30 via bus/train commute daily or weekdays to the city. Good reply or responses will be appreciated. I am looking to rent or share .. not buying right now...just rent or share apt. I am also as I stated earlier pretty up on different sites to get a lot of my info.. but still it doesn't hurt to get other's insight. Thank you in advance.
I like culture.. shopping centers "some night life" .. I'm over 30yrs old but I have a young heart..
so a good upbeat atmosphere is important.
Thanks again!!
Where are you living now and why do you want to move to DC?

If you have a bachelor's degree and 10 years of white collar work experience, you should be able to earn a decent salary here. You might want to consider using a recruiter to aid your job search.

Its hard to suggest a good area to live without knowing your price range. And since you have not secured a job yet, there is no way to know what you can afford. There are lots of good areas but it all depends on what you can afford.

Having roommates in your 30's is not uncommon here. Many people rent out houses they share with several roommates. That is usually the cheapest way to go. If you want an upbeat atmosphere you will likely have to pay more rent. The hip areas are in high demand. There is also significant contrast between different hip areas. For instance, the crowd that frequents nightlife on H street will be totally different from the crowd that frequents nightlife in Georgetown.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:52 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,576,946 times
There's not much point looking for areas to live until you know where you are working. Jobs are spread out in many different parts of the DC area. You can't assume that your job will be in one part of the city. You could find a neighborhood you like that's a 20-30 minute commute to one part of the city - only to land a job that is in a different part, and suddenly that 20-30 minute commute is over an hour, and you have to scratch that neighborhood and feel like you wasted your time.
The extreme level of traffic and the lack of comprehensiveness of the public transit system means it's very easy to end up with a nightmare commute if you don't choose carefully, and you can't do that until you know specifically where your job would be.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:05 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,531,051 times
Move to Takoma. It's just fabulous.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:29 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,260 times
I am going to be direct. It depends.
1. Do you have at least bachelors degree? - if so maybe. If you do not avoid DC.
2. Do you plan on making more than $60k - if so yes. If not avoid DC.
3. The more interesting parts of the city and suburbs cost more. Just to give you an idea, the median rent for a 1 BR is $2000. You can find some apartments for $1800. Some Studios are around $1500. Those less than this can often be questionable or further out. If this gives you sticker shock, I advise avoiding DC.

DC is a very expensive area, if you are used to a low cost of living area it will be a dramatic change.

I cannot recommend DC to everyone, I am not sure you will thrive here.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:03 PM

490 posts, read 650,063 times
it sounds like you want to move to DC because you think it's "cool". Seeing that I've spent my late 20s and early 30s in and around DC, I can tell you it's not that cool or fun. If your not coming here to make connections or f*ck tons of money, you should move to a different city where people are cooler.

Just my honest opinion.

Old 04-02-2016, 09:04 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostopsy View Post
it sounds like you want to move to DC because you think it's "cool". Seeing that I've spent my late 20s and early 30s in and around DC, I can tell you it's not that cool or fun. If your not coming here to make connections or f*ck tons of money, you should move to a different city where people are cooler.

Just my honest opinion.
This is a common claim. But DC and the surrounding areas have a lot of cool people. The area is very diverse. But you have to know where to look and most new comers have no idea where to look. So they just hang out in places like Dupont, Georgetown, K street, and Foggy Bottom.. then brand the entire city based on their experiences in those places.

I think a lot of people don't explore because they fear accidentally ending up in a bad neighborhood. So they stick to areas they know or areas their friends know.. which are often the lamest parts of DC.

The DC area really has something for everyone. If you can't find it in the city itself, you will usually find it in the Suburbs. On top of that.. the city is evolving fast.

Old 04-02-2016, 10:09 PM

37 posts, read 41,925 times
A lot of good answers on here. It all depends on a lot of things, as mentioned herein...where your job is located, how much you will be making/can afford? Two areas that I consider at both ends of the continuum are...Dupont Circle (very expensive living but you are in the heart of it all) and Gaithersburg, MD (relatively inexpensive living and easy commute into the city on the Red Line). All the best.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:41 PM

135 posts, read 145,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
I am going to be direct. It depends.
1. Do you have at least bachelors degree? - if so maybe. If you do not avoid DC.
2. Do you plan on making more than $60k - if so yes. If not avoid DC.
3. The more interesting parts of the city and suburbs cost more. Just to give you an idea, the median rent for a 1 BR is $2000. You can find some apartments for $1800. Some Studios are around $1500. Those less than this can often be questionable or further out. If this gives you sticker shock, I advise avoiding DC.

DC is a very expensive area, if you are used to a low cost of living area it will be a dramatic change.

I cannot recommend DC to everyone, I am not sure you will thrive here.

And that concludes our regularly scheduled message from the DC Chamber of Classicism.

Everyone is welcome to live in DC rich, poor, Black, White or Green. This isn't Elysium, we need people of all backgrounds and incomes to live here. Hell.. $60,000 is not a lot of money either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC