Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is DC north, south, or mid-atlantic?
North obviously!!! 5 6.02%
North, but not NY 13 15.66%
MId-atlantic! Why are people against Mid-atlantic choicing? 57 68.67%
South, but not SC 6 7.23%
Was, is, and will always be the south? 2 2.41%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 03:02 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,057,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniffablecow View Post
If not mid-atlantic, then the middle. It is just, I find DC so nuetral. I do not find it truly northern or southern.
I would say DC is closer to being northern historically than MD is, since it was never part of the confederacy, and was the capitol of the union, but on the other hand, baltimore has SOME relations to mid-atlantic dialects, and plus, it is a fact that DC is hotter than MD. There is even quite a good difference between DC suburbs and DC itself, according to average july highs, jan lows, and average snow falls.

Unlike MD, I would not even say DC is a mixture. It just does not seem very northern or southern to me. But this is my view, and would not consider other opinions wrong.

Question of the day: What if DC had sky scrapers?
Places in Maryland in similar geographic situations are pretty much like DC, low temps might be two degrees cooler. Crisfield and other places in the East get little snow, less than a foot a year (some are down to 3-4" levels). It's all about how west, inland or high places are when it comes to snow totals; the famous '58 snowstorm caused mostly rain in DC and DT Baltimore, but places in MD west of DC and certain NW Baltimore nabes got a lot of snow. So while Dulles gets noticeably more snow than DC, places in MD and VA to the east/south get a similar amount of snow, if not less snow.

DC was the capital of the Union because it was the capital. It was placed in the south for a reason, and was still in the south during the Civil War. That's why Union forces detained pro-Confederates in Maryland (or else DC would be an enclave of the USA in another country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 04:11 PM

223 posts, read 278,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
Places in Maryland in similar geographic situations are pretty much like DC, low temps might be two degrees cooler. Crisfield and other places in the East get little snow, less than a foot a year (some are down to 3-4" levels). It's all about how west, inland or high places are when it comes to snow totals; the famous '58 snowstorm caused mostly rain in DC and DT Baltimore, but places in MD west of DC and certain NW Baltimore nabes got a lot of snow. So while Dulles gets noticeably more snow than DC, places in MD and VA to the east/south get a similar amount of snow, if not less snow.

DC was the capital of the Union because it was the capital. It was placed in the south for a reason, and was still in the south during the Civil War. That's why Union forces detained pro-Confederates in Maryland (or else DC would be an enclave of the USA in another country.
Well according to these results, they arent exactly the same, atleast during the winter.

snowfall results:

MD: https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...l-snowfall.php

DC: https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...n-averages.php

average temps:

MD: January: https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...re-january.php

DC: https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...th-average.php

Old 05-11-2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniffablecow View Post
Well according to these results, they arent exactly the same, atleast during the winter.

snowfall results:

MD: https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...l-snowfall.php

DC: https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...n-averages.php

average temps:

MD: January: https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...re-january.php

DC: https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...th-average.php
They aren't identical, but except for places in the Appalachians, Beltsville and BWI airport (labeled "Baltimore"), they're pretty similar. I'm not sure if it was clear or not, but I was saying that snow totals vary more.

Basic snow totals map

Old 05-17-2016, 08:51 AM

37,888 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
True, but DC had a good portion of its migrants come from rural MD and VA. This is how PG county was majority black, then wasn't, and now is again.
Good point; during the Great Migration in particular, Southern urban centers saw an influx of rural dwellers from the surrounding region, while Northern cities experienced an influx of Southern migrants. DC experienced both.

Old 05-19-2016, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Good point; during the Great Migration in particular, Southern urban centers saw an influx of rural dwellers from the surrounding region, while Northern cities experienced an influx of Southern migrants. DC experienced both.
On the same note, the Eastern Shore has been getting whiter, and the western shore of MD has seen a decreasing white percentage.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ethn...nu1N9HxcpuM%3A

Old 05-20-2016, 11:47 AM

Is the Eastern Shore seeing an influx of mostly White retirees? That's what's happening on the coast of my native SC which is also getting whiter.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:17 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,565,138 times
Born and raised in DC it's def mid Atlantic. Compared to NYC, Philly, and Boston it feels different, but I wouldn't lump it with Richmond, Charlotte, Memphis or Atlanta.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:05 AM

54 posts, read 77,113 times
"It is just, I find DC so nuetral. I do not find it truly northern or southern."

This is my long-held opinion on the matter. (surely someone on this thread has mentioned Kennedy's droll "city of southern efficiency and northern charm.")

It was "designed" to be neither, even though it was placed between two southern states (i.e., south of the Mason-Dixon, although MD has always been the least southern southern state)...and that plan largely worked as expected. If it hadn't, the civil war might not have turned out the way it did.

Some people tend to say it's become "less southern" in recent years, but for a lot of reasons I don't think that argument holds water. If it did, that was more a process happening in the 19th century than the 20th. Look at how the north started having a strong cultural influence after the civil war - all those mansions built in the late 19th, early 20th century. Duncan Phillips moved from Pittsburg in 1895 and eventually created one of the first modern art collections in the US. I thought of the Meyer family buying the Washington Post during the Depression but then looked into the history: it had always been owned by northerners after being founded by a New Hampshirite in 1877. Dumbarton Oaks may well be the southernmost outpost of Harvard University LOL.

Along the eastern seaboard, Baltimore is the southernmost northern city, and Richmond is the northernmost southern city. DC is just, DC.

BTW by the strictest definition of Mid-Atlantic...Philadelphia and NYC are the only large Mid-Atlantic coastal cities; though I have no problem with the looser or larger definition that also encompasses Baltimore and DC. (and even Virginia if you look at states, but that's pushing it) Certainly by modern cultural standards all of these cities are intertwined in an almost unique way by the NEC, which is a rail line representing a certain cultural continuum. I still think of Boston as having a separate, distinctly New England influenced character. Philly and NYC seem to have more in common to me than Boston and NYC; and Philly and Baltimore are likewise very similar seeming in some ways. All of them are to some degree culturally 'subordinate' to NYC. Look at how many people frequently travel between these cities. I don't think you see that anywhere else in the US, except maybe a few city pairs like LA-San Diego.

Last edited by ZigZagBoom; 05-23-2016 at 03:29 AM..

Old 05-24-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
Born and raised in DC it's def mid Atlantic. Compared to NYC, Philly, and Boston it feels different, but I wouldn't lump it with Richmond, Charlotte, Memphis or Atlanta.
Despite the size difference, I'd lump DC in with Richmond to an extent but not the other Southern cities. But I agree that the best term to describe it is mid-Atlantic.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:
They aren't identical, but except for places in the Appalachians, Beltsville and BWI airport (labeled "Baltimore"), they're pretty similar. I'm not sure if it was clear or not, but I was saying that snow totals vary more.

Basic snow totals map
Another snowfall map with more detail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC