Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is DC north, south, or mid-atlantic?
North obviously!!! 5 6.02%
North, but not NY 13 15.66%
MId-atlantic! Why are people against Mid-atlantic choicing? 57 68.67%
South, but not SC 6 7.23%
Was, is, and will always be the south? 2 2.41%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 11:22 AM

3,730 posts, read 2,553,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniffablecow View Post
Also, was DC not the capitol of the union? Just saying.
True, but slavery was still legal in DC at the start of the Civil War..
And technically DC is below the Mason-Dixon Line. technically it's in the South.

From a historical perspective, DC was typically viewed as part of the upper South. It was very important for Lincoln to prevent Maryland from seceding (at any cost).. bcuz it would've ceded the Federal capital of Washington, into completely hostile Southern territory.

As time's gone by, I would say DC's lost a lot of it's Southern cultural identity tho.. just my take. peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 10:58 PM

223 posts, read 278,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
And technically DC is below the Mason-Dixon Line. technically it's in the South.

From a historical perspective, DC was typically viewed as part of the upper South. It was very important for Lincoln to prevent Maryland from seceding (at any cost).. bcuz it would've ceded the Federal capital of Washington, into completely hostile Southern territory.

As time's gone by, I would say DC's lost a lot of it's Southern cultural identity tho.. just my take. peace
First off, the mason Dixon was not an official rule. It is just like "I before e except after c" (false rules made by people that just became convenient when the time came). So I am sorry, but I do not take the mason dixon argument seriously, just giving you an early heads up.

DC itself was not ever part of the confederacy. You can say what might have happened, but in the long run, DC was still part of the Union. Maryland itself (more like the officials, most of the citizens were for the union) might have wanted to be part of the confederacy deep down, but that does not have to do with DC IMO.

Also, most people do not consider DC the upper south in history, so what did you mean by "typically"? Just asking

Old 04-12-2016, 07:13 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,090,194 times
Many years ago (three or four generations) DC was considered a "sleepy southern town". But now by no stretch could DC be considered a southern town. It's still not on a level with New York, London, Paris, etc., but I think it can reasonably considered a world class city.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Many years ago (three or four generations) DC was considered a "sleepy southern town". But now by no stretch could DC be considered a southern town. It's still not on a level with New York, London, Paris, etc., but I think it can reasonably considered a world class city.
The only other city in the US that is on NYC level is LA at best, but not even LA is at NYC level.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:

This is part of the reason I hate it when people try to use the mason dixon. You see how stupid this looks?
Attached Thumbnails
🏝Is DC north, south, or middle to you guys?🏙 (please reply)-most-idiotic-mason-dixon-line.jpg  

Old 04-12-2016, 10:39 AM

857 posts, read 1,200,372 times
Quote:

where the south starts and ends is honestly a tricky debate......but the mason-dixon line qualification is not a strong one. Maryland was a slave state but its firmly a northern state. You cant tell me that Baltimore is a southern city when its anything but. People deep in the south certainly dont claim it. the eastern shore is as close to southern as youre gonna get in maryland but the eastern shore doesnt feel all that southern...just country as heck lol. go west of PA and WV, the ohio river serves as the mason dixon. Kentucky feels alot more southern than maryland does yet ive heard many try to argue Kentucky is a midwestern state. surprisingly they never joined the confederacy (although getting them annexed into the CSA was one of the civil wars major objectives)

If youre from a former confederate state youre firmly a southern state in my eyes. but even that gets tricky. NoVA is not southern by any means (esp considering people in the south actually know how to drive) but winchester and front royal residents consider themselves southerners. For most people Richmond is where youre firmly in the south but some deep south residents dont even consider richmond the south (weird i know)

Old 04-12-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
where the south starts and ends is honestly a tricky debate......but the mason-dixon line qualification is not a strong one. Maryland was a slave state but its firmly a northern state. You cant tell me that Baltimore is a southern city when its anything but. People deep in the south certainly dont claim it. the eastern shore is as close to southern as youre gonna get in maryland but the eastern shore doesnt feel all that southern...just country as heck lol. go west of PA and WV, the ohio river serves as the mason dixon. Kentucky feels alot more southern than maryland does yet ive heard many try to argue Kentucky is a midwestern state. surprisingly they never joined the confederacy (although getting them annexed into the CSA was one of the civil wars major objectives)

If youre from a former confederate state youre firmly a southern state in my eyes. but even that gets tricky. NoVA is not southern by any means (esp considering people in the south actually know how to drive) but winchester and front royal residents consider themselves southerners. For most people Richmond is where youre firmly in the south but some deep south residents dont even consider richmond the south (weird i know)
Yes, I agree with most of what you said. Southern =/= country all the time. Most of maryland is not southern.

For kentucky, although it did not actually join the confederacy, people there love being called southern. The majority of their accents are strong and you can hear the clear southerness in their accents. Their accents are very strong in my opinion. I think the ohio river is a good line, only because kentucky agrees with it, and since it is southern. Maryland on the hand does not like being considered southern for the most part, and is not really that much. The officials in Maryland once tried updating the census just to feel more *official* () (the census is sooooo outdated) but again, to feel more official in the north. You dont see that in kentucky.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:13 AM

3,730 posts, read 2,553,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniffablecow View Post
This is part of the reason I hate it when people try to use the mason dixon. You see how stupid this looks?
Sniffable.. hi again. If you don't consider the Mason-Dixon Line the accepted standard for distinguishing North from South, then what is your standard (?) Show me a more historically recognized standard, that you don't deem 'stupid'..

I have a hard time understanding these threads, where an original poster (like yourself) poses a question to other forum members, and then proceeds to attack any responses he doesn't like.. Why bother asking a question then (?)

Old 04-13-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Sniffable.. hi again. If you don't consider the Mason-Dixon Line the accepted standard for distinguishing North from South, then what is your standard (?) Show me a more historically recognized standard, that you don't deem 'stupid'..

I have a hard time understanding these threads, where an original poster (like yourself) poses a question to other forum members, and then proceeds to attack any responses he doesn't like.. Why bother asking a question then (?)
Hmm... So if I disagree with you, I am attacking you? Well, I guess all of us her attackers then, because last time I checked, we all disagree with each other at some point, and I find no wrong doing in that. I decided to set up this thread because I not only wanted to see what other people thought, but I wanted to be able to get the basis and reasons for why they believed this or that. I dont know about you, but I don't find anything wrong with what I am doing. If I offend you, I apologize, but I just like to have debates with people for my own understanding. I know someone on here named ialmostforgot, he is an example of someone I debate with, but I get to realize the reasons people believe this or that, and just learn more from the other side. But anyway, ill reply to the first question.

I base north and south off of what states, (or cities) are most like eachother in the long view. I refuse to put a place in a region that it does not have a whole lot like just because of an unofficial rule. I base regions off of what places are most like each other. For example, indiana, ohio, michigan, illinois, they all have a lot of similarities, thus they are in the same region together. I think DC is in between because of it really not sharing a lot of similarities with north or south, it seems like a very neutral area. Dialect wise, I would say neutral, but I think it is a mix historically, culturally, and nature wise. I do not think you should just lump it south because of it being under the mason dixon line. I mean, it does not even make a legit split between north and south.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:18 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,969,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Sure. I can't speak to those other areas, but you wouldn't see students dressing like that in most major cosmopolitan areas like New York City or San Francisco. It's kind of amazing how you pretty much never see these men wearing these pastel shorts and polos in New York -- whereas they are a dime a dozen in DC. And I pretty much only hang out in Greenwich Village (NYU) when I go to NYC.
Actually, it’s an invasion. Go over to Manhattan, Brooklyn, and some parts of queens now, you are seeing this more on warmer days. But the difference is that in NY, they also somewhat conform to the NY swag and culture. So even though they may be in polos and pastel shorts, their attitude is becoming a bit more brash and tougher due to the atmosphere of NYC's grit and toughness. In DC, you get the DC energy of a somewhat intellectual high class bubble that is centralized, and so it stands out more.

I think its fine. It's their style. DC and its culture allows the invasion so who are we to refute?

Take a look at Aaron Marino of Alpha M. Anyone else who is from DC wearing his outfit pictured will often not have that "alpha" male swag. There is no need to be tough here because mostly everyone has made it to a certain extent. So essentially, it's not the clothes itself; it's the man underneath the gear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qstLUEE8nDw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC